Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Rants

Old 15-01-19, 08:05 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
To be fair its not their fault it is because society has changed how people bring up children, essentially Bad parenting.

Coming last is good and getting participation medals
Being told they are special
You can be anything you want if you believe.
You can have everything if you want it hard enough.
Then in the real world its vastly difference, add in tech and social media needs its little wonder they now feel entitled.
Spot on mate.

This always annoys me. Why instead of teaching kids that they can do, have or be anything they want to be don't we teach that individuality is fine, some people are better at other things than others and wealth is easier to earn with grit, hard work and a sprinkling of luck rather than being instagram famous or a kardashian

My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero, Ryzen 3800X, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
Old 15-01-19, 09:47 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Yeah peoples attitudes haven't changed, your ability to interact with far more people far more often is what's changed, you're basically forced to see what the most annoying people in the world are saying every time you go online now.

If you actually ask most people between 18-21 what they want when they grow up, the vast, vast majority, at least in Britain, literally just want some basic security regarding food, heating, ect, and will fully accept the fact that unlike the generations before them, the chances they'll own their own home or something like that before 35 are incredibly slim. Many of the people who complain about young people grew up in an age where they were entitled to far more, free education, abundant/cheap housing, secure/cheap food, guaranteed access to healthcare, ect. Now kids whos parents can't put food on the table don't even get a free carton of milk at break. The cost of living today for most items means that around 20% can't even secure the most basic parts of the list I mentioned, it's only the lucky who have the chance to be entitled, but they're the ones all over social media.
I've been working in the fitness industry since around 2010 now and as I interact with hundreds of people per week I have noticed people think they are owed something, Attitudes have changed, Maybe a lot on here haven't had the same experience due to not working in a very social climate.
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 15-01-19, 10:32 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I've been working in the fitness industry
With respect from my experience what you're saying lines up very well with the impression I get of many people who'd consider themselves gym/fitness fanatics, are you sure it's not more just indicative of the industry you're in? I know theres many of you there who do it for enjoyment or good health and such, but I feel many more people get into that stuff for reasons of vanity. As someone in my mid-20's I know many people who are entitled and spam out instagram and stuff with their pictures in the gym, but they're all middle class kids from rural/suburban backgrounds, usually southerners(No hate lol just generally even more middle class), most young people find those people just as insufferable and detached from reality as anyone else and they're just the tiny vocal minority of a very big group that most our age just ignore. Of course, said group will dominate sites like Instagram that are literally designed for those people, which is why many people *shock* just don't own or go on instagram. However, I seriously doubt these kinds of middle class kids born spoon in mouth *weren't* entitled and insufferable 10 or 20 years ago, you could just avoid interacting with them easier.