Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > MSI UK Forum

Old 09-09-14, 08:49 AM

Our NEW MSI GS30 Shadow & GamingDock - Coming soon!

Hey all!

I am excited to reveal one of our newest additions to the MSI G series family!

So, have you ever wanted a super small, lightweight, ultra thin NB? Have you ever wanted it to be ultra mobile for your day to day activities? Uni? Work? Starbucks with the Macbook pro cool kids?

It's here!

Our new MSI GS30 Shadow NB!

Specs :

4th Gen Core I7
2 x SSD
13.3" Full HD Screen
Iris Pro Graphics (Super On board GPU)
1.3KG in weight
19.8mm

But I hear you say....what about the GPU? You want discreet graphics? You want upgradability?

OK.... so it comes with a GamingDock!

Docking and transforming, shift into the Elysium!
There is a specific GamingDock designed for GS30 Shadow and the overall graphics performance will be shifted to a higher level while GS30 Shadow is docking on it. By the inserted desktop discrete graphics card inside the GamingDock, more graphics calculation will be enhanced and more visual detailed will be revealed. Users can choose any desktop graphics card, which is stronger and more powerful, then easily insert into it to unleash the most stunning visual effect and deliver the most exciting gaming experience to gamers by full bandwidth of PCI-e x16. The GamingDock is no wonder the most powerful upgraded cannon for slim gaming laptops to play on those most performance demanding titles in highest resolution and settings.

Just to say the above a little more clearly

You can insert any brand DESKTOP GPU into the gaming dock, so your NB when docked will be just as good graphics wise as your desktop. This means when newer laptop GPU's come out, you will not be worried about performance. Use this NB with a 780TI if you like! The choice is yours!

Perfect for if you go away to uni, you can have a full desktop solution in your room, but a super high powered NB whilst you are at the library!

The dock can hold a normal HD for all your games too, whilst the NB holds 2 x SSD's.
More spec details for the NB are below -
Model name

GS30 Shadow

Operating System

Windows 8.1

LED Backlight Display

13.3" , support up to 2560x1440 , Wild view angle, Anti-glare

Processor

Intel® 4th Gen Core™ i7

Memory Type

DDR3L, up to 1600MHz, Max 16GB

Graphics

Intel Iris Pro

Hard Disk Capacity

M.2 SSDx2 with Super Raid

Keyboard

Backlight Keyboard

Optical Disk Drive

N/A

USB 3.0/2.0

2/0

Card Reader

SD(XC/HC) /MMC

Video output:

HDMI 1.4b

Mic-in/Headphone out

1/1

LAN/WiFi

Giga LAN/ Intel 802.11ac

Bluetooth

Bluetooth v4.0

Webcam

HD type ([email protected])

Battery

Built in 4-Cell Li-Ion

Power Adapter

65W

Dimension (WxDxH)

320 x 227.3 x 19.8mm

Weight

1.3 Kg (w/ Battery)

The GamingDock will come with all the usual spec like Killer Lan/USB 3.0/HDMI out so you can connect multi screens & gaming peripherals to it also.

More information will be released closer to it's release date - Jan 2015

Some specs may change - but you get the idea of what this badboy is going to be like.

Any questions - Fire away (if I can get an answer I will )

The MSI NOTEBOOK UK Team

Old 09-09-14, 08:55 AM
born in a.....

Thats actually a really neat idea. Its cool to see these external GPU connector-thingies becoming real. Its a shame you have to put the laptop on top of it. i'd prefer if it was behind the monitor as the hight of it makes it a bit desk unfriendly and as such you have to have an external monitor etc.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 09-09-14, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Thats actually a really neat idea. Its cool to see these external GPU connector-thingies becoming real. Its a shame you have to put the laptop on top of it. i'd prefer if it was behind the monitor as the hight of it makes it a bit desk unfriendly and as such you have to have an external monitor etc.
Hey Barnsley, I think the purpose of the dock is that its going to be there instead of a desktop - so you have your super portable laptop for everyday uses, and when you are back at home and want to game you plug it in and game away like you would on your desktop! Ultra portable with an up-gradable GPU for future proofing
Old 09-09-14, 10:22 AM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSINotebookUK View Post
Hey Barnsley, I think the purpose of the dock is that its going to be there instead of a desktop - so you have your super portable laptop for everyday uses, and when you are back at home and want to game you plug it in and game away like you would on your desktop! Ultra portable with an up-gradable GPU for future proofing
Yeah I got that I just think the height is an issue. Most of the cheap hack jobs of things like your gaming jobs are alot smaller and have the gpu off to the side. I understand its a desktop replacement and all, its just very bulky.
Nice laptop though.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Old 09-09-14, 10:38 AM
OC3D Elite

I like that notebook, seems to have the right focus for me, but the docking station is unnecessary. I hope that you sell those separately?
Also the gaming badge seems out of place, that is a notebook which would mainly appeal to business and professional users, i'd prefer a clean and professional look.
Old 09-09-14, 10:41 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Yeah I got that I just think the height is an issue. Most of the cheap hack jobs of things like your gaming jobs are alot smaller and have the gpu off to the side. I understand its a desktop replacement and all, its just very bulky.
Nice laptop though.

this it does seem a bit OTT - maybe its because the photo is with it on top - might have been better to have had photos with the laptop in front of it....

Please tell me its not designed to go on top with some kind of decking mechanism?

If it HAS to go on top its going to be really uncomfortable to use, youll get arm ache from your elbows always being in the air etc..... The more I think about that dock the more Im pulling faces :/

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 09-09-14, 10:46 AM
born in a.....

This is what I was talking about size wise. Your external Laptop GPU thunderbolt connector thing prototype was amazing and personally if you could make the dock more like this I'd be a huge fan.
Old 09-09-14, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Nice laptop though.
The dock is smaller than it looks, you have to remember this is a 13" laptop - so it is very small. The dock is not only for the GPU - but is for the HD and has a lot of connections as you can see on the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
I like that notebook, seems to have the right focus for me, but the docking station is unnecessary. I hope that you sell those separately?
Also the gaming badge seems out of place, that is a notebook which would mainly appeal to business and professional users, i'd prefer a clean and professional look.
This is a gaming laptop and features the same branding as all our gaming range - the dock is for the GPU so is not unnecessary as you will be using the GPU on the dock to play all the games you wish.

Thanks
Old 09-09-14, 11:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Any chance you would be able to provide a target price? or even an approximate one?

Watercooling - custom
Old 09-09-14, 11:36 AM
Resident Newb

Reminds me of something from the 80's
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -