Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 14-06-18, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CalVic
Yeah, I'm well aware of the issues that adaptive brings. I've tried offset and manual mode and the heat issues persist. Will give it another shot though...

I stressed with manual and even at 1.15v it shot straight to 90s.

The S340 is not a case for watercooling. I wish my parents didn't throw out my AIR 540 with pretty much brand new custom loop in.

I think because I have decent 4790k, I think a delid and a NH-14 will surface. Will need a new case as I don't think the S340 will support the NH-14... Sigh.

EAT-SLEEP-OVERCLOCK
Old 14-06-18, 08:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalVic View Post
Yeah, I'm well aware of the issues that adaptive brings. I've tried offset and manual mode and the heat issues persist. Will give it another shot though...

I stressed with manual and even at 1.15v it shot straight to 90s.

The S340 is case for watercooling. I wish my parents didn't throw out my AIR 540 with pretty much brand new custom loop in.

I think because I have decent 4790k, I think a delid and a NH-14 will surface. Will need a new case as I don't think the S340 will support the NH-14... Sigh.
The weather is causing loads of this. I am 45, and I tell you what the last few summers have been roasting. As hot as the 70s and early 80s.

That crap really takes its toll on computer parts and anything that gets even remotely hot. As I sit here my water temp on my 10 core BE Xeon and Fury X is 29c. Two months ago? it was 31c under full load after about three hours. Now? it goes into the 40s.

Old 14-06-18, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Something to consider - though my water temp at the moment is 25.4c. I've had this issue throughout winter. Just that I couldn't be bothered to see what's what. Then a few days ago I realized that actually I had exhausted the tips and tricks of what I know.

Edit: House is in the shade, so ambient temps aren't too bad.

Looking at the NH-D15, it looks as if it will fit. Albeit tight. Will have to see if that is on par with the H110i GTX.

EAT-SLEEP-OVERCLOCK
Old 14-06-18, 08:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Those chips were always hot SOBs. And it was compounded even more so by the toothpaste Intel used. I'm amazed you didn't delid it ages ago fella.

BTW? that £30 deal is pretty darn good tbh. The heat spreader is about a tenner, plus you would have to buy liquid metal which ain't cheap either, then the tool.

Old 14-06-18, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Those chips were always hot SOBs. And it was compounded even more so by the toothpaste Intel used. I'm amazed you didn't delid it ages ago fella.

BTW? that £30 deal is pretty darn good tbh. The heat spreader is about a tenner, plus you would have to buy liquid metal which ain't cheap either, then the tool.

Yeah - I'm surprised too. To be fair, I haven't been into hardware like I was a few years a go. Mrs, kids, work and other hobby ventures do that

Though I am starting to get back into it again after tinkering with my overclock, especially the 980 that I have running at 1500/7950Mhz. Would have more headroom but the S340 with the H110 as intake is killing airflow. I have remounted the top exhaust as intake.

Will certainly have my 4790k off for a delid service when I am next onsite somewhere around the UK with work. Gotta love being a penetration tester...

Oh the days of running 24/7 5+Ghz on my 8350... Now I am eco-freak with C-States and SpeedStep LOL.

EAT-SLEEP-OVERCLOCK
Old 14-06-18, 09:02 PM
OC3D Elite

It's not so much eco freak, but more overclocking properly and skilfully. It's easy to turn them off and throw loads of power into a CPU, but harder to get it running properly with them on.

Old 15-06-18, 06:02 AM
OC3D Elite

A de-lid is pretty much essential I found on the 4790K, mine went from the 90's down to the low 60's high 50's, on a H100i.

On my 7700K they went from high 60's and 70's to the low to mid 50's, on a NH-D15 not quite the drops I saw on the 4790K.

The CPU's were set to Auto Voltage in the Bios and they were getting around the 1.215v being put them with XMP and Multicore Enhancement enabled.

Now that it's warmer outside and the ambient temp's are rising in the room, my average ambient temp at the moment is between 30c and 36c and my CPU hit's high 60's under a H100i, but I am changing my case today so will see what happens.
Old 15-06-18, 07:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

Dont need the tool at all.

And anyway. Even if he lived in Dubai, the temp should not be hitting the 90s when stress testing.

I think people are missing the basic point here. If an AIO cooler is being used, even accounting for ridiculous ambient temperatures, it should not be spiking that high. My 4790k is not hitting that temp at the moment in Norway during our 30C temperatures, and I am using an old 3570k Intel cooler. As crappy as they come. My temp hits 80C with that POS.

Calvic,

What about posting screenshots of all your bios config ? perhaps some eagle eyed user here will spot something missed?
Old 15-06-18, 09:56 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Dont need the tool at all.

And anyway. Even if he lived in Dubai, the temp should not be hitting the 90s when stress testing.

I think people are missing the basic point here. If an AIO cooler is being used, even accounting for ridiculous ambient temperatures, it should not be spiking that high. My 4790k is not hitting that temp at the moment in Norway during our 30C temperatures, and I am using an old 3570k Intel cooler. As crappy as they come. My temp hits 80C with that POS.

Calvic,

What about posting screenshots of all your bios config ? perhaps some eagle eyed user here will spot something missed?
I haven't missed the point it was me who told him to delid and me who told him his thermal paste may have deteriorated due to heat from constant overclocking

I have an article written by the guy who used to live in Taiwan (my pal) I will upload it when I get back home. In it he talks about the perils of heat and humidity.

However, I am not saying that that is the cause for this temp spike. It just doesn't help any one.

Old 15-06-18, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Sure, I'll get some screenshots uploaded when I've finished working
That'll also include screenies of H.264 encoding via RealBench with manual voltage set. This is what kills my system at the moment, not even using synthetic stressing.

Currently, I have IC7 applied as TIM. The mount is good considering two cores are practically the same and the others are approx 1 to 2c difference.

EAT-SLEEP-OVERCLOCK