Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 01-01-13, 12:24 PM

I'm sorry about double post.. I'm just stupid sometimes.. Who would have guessed there's a second page..

Old 01-01-13, 12:30 PM

Ugh, I just called the shop and they said they have no information about the MSI cards being shipped in.. I think I'll just stick with the Vapor-X one. About the 212 EVO, the only thing bad about it I've heard is that it's difficult to mount. I know the Xigmatek GAIA one is an alternative but sadly it's not sold here.. And I can't get anything fancier, I'm already pushing my budget a bit. Anything else I should know regarding the 212 EVO?
Old 01-01-13, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaker172 View Post
I called the shop, but the shop says they don't know when they'll be available..from past experiences it can be a few months..I'll just get the vapor-x one. About evo.the only bad things I've heard about it are that it's hard to mount, I know the xigmatex Gaia is an alternative, but it's not sold here..anything else I should be aware of regarding the evo?
I wouldn't worry about it being hard to mount, it isn't the largest or most complicated CPU Cooler out there, so it should be a doddle. I've heard it can be very good for the price but some are incredibly loud. I guess there is always a risk with parts and that's the chance you take. If it were up to me I'd probably spend a little more money on a higher tier of CPU cooler - however I don't know what's available where you are. Also, spending more on a CPU Cooler (like an NZXT Havik or the like) will probably get you faster OC speeds. What Ghz is your aim? 4.2 is usually standard.

i5 3570k @ 4.3ghz - MSI Twin Frozr 3GD5 7950 V2/OC @ 1000mhz - MSI Z77A GD55 - Fractal Design Define R4
NZXT Havik 140 - 120GB Samsung SSD - 1TB Barracuda HDD - Corsair HX750
Old 01-01-13, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Ugh, I just called the shop and they said they have no information about the MSI cards being shipped in.. I think I'll just stick with the Vapor-X one. About the 212 EVO, the only thing bad about it I've heard is that it's difficult to mount. I know the Xigmatek GAIA one is an alternative but sadly it's not sold here.. And I can't get anything fancier, I'm already pushing my budget a bit. Anything else I should know regarding the 212 EVO?
If you're already pushing budget stick with the Evo. Good luck, I'll look forward to reading your build log!

i5 3570k @ 4.3ghz - MSI Twin Frozr 3GD5 7950 V2/OC @ 1000mhz - MSI Z77A GD55 - Fractal Design Define R4
NZXT Havik 140 - 120GB Samsung SSD - 1TB Barracuda HDD - Corsair HX750
Old 01-01-13, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasoner View Post
I wouldn't worry about it being hard to mount, it isn't the largest or most complicated CPU Cooler out there, so it should be a doddle. I've heard it can be very good for the price but some are incredibly loud. I guess there is always a risk with parts and that's the chance you take. If it were up to me I'd probably spend a little more money on a higher tier of CPU cooler - however I don't know what's available where you are. Also, spending more on a CPU Cooler (like an NZXT Havik or the like) will probably get you faster OC speeds. What Ghz is your aim? 4.2 is usually standard.
I don't think I'll push it anywhere over 4.2-4.3 with the 212 evo, when I'll be willing to go higher I'll invest in a better cooler. About the fans being loud, I could change the fans on the evo I guess? If I had any extra money I'd get a proper hard drive and then a better CPU cooler.
Old 01-01-13, 12:40 PM

Thanks, hopefully the parts will be here in a weeks time!
I've been reading up on building a pc for months now, I hope everything will go smooth!
Old 01-01-13, 01:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Thanks, hopefully the parts will be here in a weeks time!
I've been reading up on building a pc for months now, I hope everything will go smooth!
You will be fine mate, don't worry. There are tonnes of guides on Youtube. If you have a phone, you could play the "how-to" video(s) whilst you build to make it easier. Obviously, if you have any issues, just post them here and we will be glad to aid you

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v

Old 01-01-13, 01:06 PM

Hi Zak, i've just built my first rig and it was a piece of cake.You will wonder why you never did it before.What could be cooler than saying" i did that" to all your mates when they see your rig.And if things go wrong,which they shouldn't youv'e got all these guy's to fall back on,so good luck and keep us informed.
CPU Cooler: H100
Storage: 1x60GB OCz ssd for windows 1x120GB OCz ssd for Games etc
Psu:Corsair HX850
Old 01-01-13, 01:26 PM

i like the evo 212. ive only heard good critics about it. But isnt it possible to mount push/pull on the evo 212? It does come with 1 fan like all other cpu coolers, but ive never heard any1 talking about whether it's possible or not...Zak, if/when u buy the 212, could u check that out and post it? :P thx
Old 01-01-13, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaft1g337 View Post
i like the evo 212. ive only heard good critics about it. But isnt it possible to mount push/pull on the evo 212? It does come with 1 fan like all other cpu coolers, but ive never heard any1 talking about whether it's possible or not...Zak, if/when u buy the 212, could u check that out and post it? :P thx
It should be possible, their website says that it includes a second pair of mounting brackets for an additional 120mm fan!

Tags
tags are for poor people