Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 18-04-17, 09:16 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Oh I didn't say Nvidia were the ONLY ones who do that stuff. AMD is worse for re-branding old crap than anyone; they both do it.
I disagree. They both do it equally.
Neither has done it in a long time, but if you want to be technical, Nvidia would be worse for making Pascal basically Maxwell but on a better node with a few extra technologies to better VR support on a hardware level and better support for DX12(although still lacking Async Compute)

In regards to this thread though, I've only read two reviews. This and Anand. What really has kinda triggered me, is anand seems like they completely went out of there way to make the review seem biased. They purposefully limit there cards to midrange, but then chuck in a 1070. Wth for? You're comparing a card of a completely different class that is nearly double the price.
They don't make the 580 a negative review, but they have done this crap before and always makes me angry. I've always thought they were Nvidia biased, this just makes me opinion stronger.

I mean Tom did this as well, but didn't go out of his way to handpick midrange cards then chuck in an Enthusiast card. He includes everything from all ranges. So if they are going to do it, do it right.

Old 19-04-17, 01:13 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I disagree. They both do it equally.
Neither has done it in a long time, but if you want to be technical, Nvidia would be worse for making Pascal basically Maxwell but on a better node with a few extra technologies to better VR support on a hardware level and better support for DX12(although still lacking Async Compute)

In regards to this thread though, I've only read two reviews. This and Anand. What really has kinda triggered me, is anand seems like they completely went out of there way to make the review seem biased. They purposefully limit there cards to midrange, but then chuck in a 1070. Wth for? You're comparing a card of a completely different class that is nearly double the price.
They don't make the 580 a negative review, but they have done this crap before and always makes me angry. I've always thought they were Nvidia biased, this just makes me opinion stronger.

I mean Tom did this as well, but didn't go out of his way to handpick midrange cards then chuck in an Enthusiast card. He includes everything from all ranges. So if they are going to do it, do it right.
Lets face it NBD the reason we are all here on this forum in the first place IS because Tom does it right in an unbiased fashion!
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=Asus X370 ROG Crosshair VI Hero=16gig 3200Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 19-04-17, 01:39 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
Lets face it NBD the reason we are all here on this forum in the first place IS because Tom does it right in an unbiased fashion!
Agreed. My range of reviews I trust just gets smaller and smaller for GPUs.
Old 19-04-17, 03:06 AM
Hagrid Look-A-Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper3 View Post
What's the likely price? Mid-£200's I'm thinking - the 1060 Strix that it fairly-closely matches is around £290-300 and the 480's are about £230-260 or so, expect it to fill that range I guess.
1060 6GB EVGA SC is only £215, I'd buy the 1060, save money and get better performance ...... RX 580 is disappointing so far
Old 19-04-17, 04:37 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilbane View Post
1060 6GB EVGA SC is only £215, I'd buy the 1060, save money and get better performance ...... RX 580 is disappointing so far
Really performance from what I have seen is the 580 being faster.
Only thing he'd get besides saving money is lower power consumption.

I also don't see how you could be disappointed with the 580? Like you knew it was a refreshed 480? What did you expect? 15% uplift in performance? A 480vs1060 was already pretty dang close. A 580 jumps ahead more often than not. Besides, they clock much higher, I haven't read a review that goes into depth about it though. Strange, I bet they all could hit 1500 without much effort.
Old 19-04-17, 10:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah overall the 580 is faster than the 1060. I also don't think that Nvidia can really refine it any more either, given it's already been refined to within an inch of its life.

1060Ti, any one?

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 19-04-17, 10:52 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Yeah overall the 580 is faster than the 1060. I also don't think that Nvidia can really refine it any more either, given it's already been refined to within an inch of its life.

1060Ti, any one?
1060 is getting a memory refresh like the 1080. I think they will bolt on a few extra MHz in the hope of sales but to anyone that understands GPUboost it will already be doing that for you.

They are just much closer in the charts now, our graphs show the original results so drivers may have made a slight changes since the original review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 19-04-17, 10:55 AM
OC3D Elite

I am waiting to see how the Sapphire RX580 Nitro Limited Edition does in reviews.

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 19-04-17, 11:19 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
1060 is getting a memory refresh like the 1080. I think they will bolt on a few extra MHz in the hope of sales but to anyone that understands GPUboost it will already be doing that for you.

They are just much closer in the charts now, our graphs show the original results so drivers may have made a slight changes since the original review
I hope they at least give it a new name. Nvidia have been doing some pretty awful naming lately :s

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 19-04-17, 08:34 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
I am waiting to see how the Sapphire RX580 Nitro Limited Edition does in reviews.
Same, it looks fantastic