Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 18-01-16, 05:19 PM

Casemod/Buildplan Plasma Copper; PC Ti-Hex-909 (Planning Phase)

ROG Plasma Copper
PC Ti-Hex-909
Planning: 2015-2016, post 18/1/2016
Build: TBD
Budget: ĪÄ6000
Year: 2016
Classified: Water, Soft tubing, Full tower, one GPU

No components are fixed, just a draft:

*design colours: black, titanium, plasma copper (maybe a streak of red if I canít hide it. Front of case has a red part with white inlaid IN WIN letters, might try making it copper coloured but Iíd need to test that before ruining it.

Case- In Win 909

CPU and MOBO- either Skylake or Broadwell-E (depends on Broadwell-E performance and DX12 cpu consumption) MOBO is going to be ASUS as Iím going for a plasma copper build. So if itís normal Skylake Iíll get a MVIIIE Assembly

Memory- DDR4 Corsair Platinum 32Gb or equivalent

GPU- weíll see what comes out 2016, but single gpu.

PSU- Corsair AX1200i (should have enough clearance without modding)

Storage- Samsung 950 (and Iíll probably hide my current Samsung 850 somewhere behind MOBO

Cooling: (2 in 1 loops)

Pump- Iíll buy a D5 and see if it fits otherwise Iíll go for current idea 2 EK DDC (separate, not 2 in 1)

Tubing- flexible (clear) 10/16mm

Fittings- compression 10/16mm

A few 90į fittings, though I might go and use a few bitspower adjustable ones. This has become a few more than I thought, but Iíll keep em around for other projects.

Reservoirs- about 4, two 240-270mm (2-3 ports and single port other end) and two small max 120mm. bitspower tank Zs look good.

Radiators- 1x 360mm, 1x 280mm, 1x 240mm

Fans- 2x 140mm, 6x 120mm (probably will put 1 in-between the main and cool areas, but if I do that Iíll mod it so that it doesnít interfere on either side)

Might push-pull for 360 rad if it fits, but most likely 240 and 280 pull and 360 in push

Extraís:

GRID+ fan control

Some led lighting strips, seeing as its tinted glass with Hue+. So far plan on lighting PSU area with extension to cooling area, and top and left side of main area + some kind of lighting at reservoirs.

Rubber (for rings, shock absorbing, and cable management)

Acrylic to cover up stuff, and vinyl for designs. Itís hard to find anything remotely copper so one part of the mod might be sprayed and finished to look copper. Unless somehow I can find a cheap copper plate thatís 3-5mm thick.

Iíll clear up the whole top (HDD) area, cos I want to use it to house reservoirs, and its gonna have holes anyway when I drill out the rivets,Ö might as well make it artistic.

Other practical stuff, still debating on how to do fan control,Ö because if I buy RGB riing fans I donít know if my grid+ V2 can control the speed.

Also busy seeing what custom cabling I can get for PSU.

This build will be for some time during the summer, so got some months left. Plus just as info Iím in Belgium so might not be able to easily get my hands on some components you might suggest (without feeling like my wallet is going to break, more than this already will).

So far my planning is:

Phase 0 - test fit for 360 rad and pump in cooling are to see how much space I have. Test to see if Riing fans can be rpm controlled via fan controller (have one atm so donít need to buy grid+ yet).

Phase 1 - buy DDC pumps if D5 pump doesnít fit. Draw all cuts I need to make in the case + the cutting of the acrylic (main focus is right side of motherboard) probably going to reinforce that area @ phase 3

Phase 1.5 - if I needed to order DDC pump then Iíll need to see where the pass through hole goes at this point.

Phase 2 - test fit with cooling loop no cables. At that point I need to be able to screw and fix all acrylic pieces (all with screws no glue) copper mod left side main area and back cooling area need to be planned along with steel roster at right side cooling area (should be easy as I have the pass through holes at this point). Here Iím shifting focus to the reservoir area at the top to see how Iím going to cover up the rivet holes and at the same time match the pass through + the reservoir mounting holes (mounting holes should be easy to cover up).

At this point Iíll make sure that I have an eta for cabling, should have order by this point unless I had a hiccup with making cable management holes in the acrylic and the case.

Phase 3 Ė test fit with everything. At this point Iím hoping that I can see where I need to add some vinyl, if extra colour balance is needed. Otherwise just the vinyl on radiators and reservoirs. Installing LEDs if they arenít already installed. Reinforcing any points under the acrylic if needed, also polish acrylic and other self-made pieces.

At this point depending on how I feel with the build only filling and the back area is left. At this point I need to decide whether I can do the back mod with the case filled or not, depends on if I need the case laying down for the test fits of the back roster.

Phase 4 back roster installation and wiring (mostly led wiring the rest will be cable managed already by the roster). Then filing and bleeding the loop.

Estimated time per phase (seeing as probably wonít have holidays during the summer) and this is in shift weeks of 10 days not in normal weeks. Also doesnít include time it takes to get parts delivered

Phase 1 Ė 1 week

Phase 2 Ė 2-3 weeks

Phase 3 Ė 1 week with an additional 1 week for back panel

Phase 4 Ė 24hours for bleeding, 1 day burn and another 3 days testing plus balancing overclocks, with 1 day overclock trail

So total build time around 1 and a half months without the extra month in-between waiting for parts to be delivered. Current estimate is start Phase 0 during April, main project for May and June,Ö (DELAYED seems pascal and Broadwell-e will arrive later) depends on weather and my free days, seeing as painting and such is best done without too much interruption.

In the links below Iíve added some sketches and basic planning I did, none which are dimensionally correct. Once I have the case Iíll add some dimensionally correct drawings, and once I start building Iíll link the post for that here.

Old 19-01-16, 04:42 PM

Seeing as no one else has posted yet i will start. It is good that you have done some research and come up with a fantastic colour scheme for your build. However I feel that you have gone way overboard with the watercooling setup for just 1 graphics card and a CPU. I have 2 graphics cards, cpu and 400x200 radiator running all off one ddc pump which i had to turn down in the bios as it was just making more noise working at full speed when the cooling performance has not changed running it at 2000rpm rather then the 5000 rpm on full. Radiators are not going to be restrictive in the loop and as you are going to only have one card there is no need for a dual ddc pumps. Also you could easily loose one of your smaller radiators and still have exactly the same cooling temperatures with less fan noise.
Old 19-01-16, 08:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakey View Post
Seeing as no one else has posted yet i will start. It is good that you have done some research and come up with a fantastic colour scheme for your build. However I feel that you have gone way overboard with the watercooling setup for just 1 graphics card and a CPU. I have 2 graphics cards, cpu and 400x200 radiator running all off one ddc pump which i had to turn down in the bios as it was just making more noise working at full speed when the cooling performance has not changed running it at 2000rpm rather then the 5000 rpm on full. Radiators are not going to be restrictive in the loop and as you are going to only have one card there is no need for a dual ddc pumps. Also you could easily loose one of your smaller radiators and still have exactly the same cooling temperatures with less fan noise.

If it's just a basic gaming rig then I would agree there's no need to go all out and there would be better choices.

However; If it's for a project, comp or 'just because they can' build then it would explain why there's a whole top end graphics cards value worth of compression fittings and dual loops.

I like the sketch up and it will certainly look the goods. The only thing I would rather see would be hard tubing.

Old 20-01-16, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakey View Post
I feel that you have gone way overboard with the watercooling setup for just 1 graphics card and a CPU.
Yeah i know, its just cos i feel like it could look good and work decently that i did the weird loop setup.

As for hardline, i currently want the option to be able to experiment with this project so soft tubing is easier to just cut off and mess around with. Maybe in the future i'll go hardline, when the hardware is changed.

Thx for the feedback by the way.
Old 05-06-16, 11:45 PM

Ok so an update to this:
got the cooling gear

and the case

and some small space fitting
Old 18-05-17, 03:58 PM

i'm getting bored due to the weather... so small update