Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 19-05-17, 10:56 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreedJr View Post
I heard Intel is better? I play Arma 3 which requires more cores as it is CPU intensive. (That's as far as I know anyway) being used to Intel I am shy to try an AMD CPU
They used to be. Now they have competition. And in a lot of cases Ryzen is a better buy over Intel. I haven't seen many results using Arma 3(which doesn't require more cores it requires high IPC/Single threaded performance afaik). You'd have to research that. If they finally fixed there terrible optimization and do prefer more cores now, then AMD is the only option for you with double the cores/threads than any​ Intel CPU you are looking at. But will be cheaper to go Ryzen and it's just a better overall buy over the 7600(non k). If you aren't buying a 7700k, it's pretty pointless to get anything Intel.

Old 19-05-17, 11:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I heard Intel is better? I play Arma 3 which requires more cores as it is CPU intensive. (That's as far as I know anyway) being used to Intel I am shy to try an AMD CPU
I really wouldn't be shy. As I said in my first post in this thread, the only Intel CPU that makes any sense financially now is the Pentium for around £55. It's an awesome entry level gaming CPU as they have put HT on it. Anything above that works out too expensive when compared to Ryzen.

Right at this second? the Intel I5 *may* have the edge. I really don't know, as I don't play ARMA and don't have a Ryzen (yet, and I stress yet...) however, the 1600 is pretty much bang on terms with the Intel 6850k yet costs £550 in the UK compared to £200 for the Ryzen. That is how much sense Intel CPUs make right now.

It's also a bit naive even buying a quad core CPU these days, because the dynamics are changing fast. I wouldn't say you need an 8 core CPU yet but hex core CPUs are literally going to be the next quad core and there is nothing Intel can do about it. They've kept us on four cores for so long it's crazy, now AMD have put an end to their scroogeness.

Intel will hit back, and before long they will end up having to release a hex core desktop CPU that fits in their standard desktop boards (IE not *99 series etc).

It's far, far more forward thinking to go with Ryzen. Hell, if you want to push for a 1700 then do so as it will last you far longer going into the future. AMD have also somewhat confirmed that their next gen 7nm Ryzen CPUs will also work in their existing AM4 motherboards. You buy a Kabylake now? yeah, you will need a new board for the next Intel tech this time next year.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 20-05-17, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
They used to be. Now they have competition. And in a lot of cases Ryzen is a better buy over Intel. I haven't seen many results using Arma 3(which doesn't require more cores it requires high IPC/Single threaded performance afaik). You'd have to research that. If they finally fixed there terrible optimization and do prefer more cores now, then AMD is the only option for you with double the cores/threads than any​ Intel CPU you are looking at. But will be cheaper to go Ryzen and it's just a better overall buy over the 7600(non k). If you aren't buying a 7700k, it's pretty pointless to get anything Intel.
I looked at pricing, update being I would be getting the 7600K and over clock it sensibly with an AIO Watercooler.
Old 20-05-17, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I really wouldn't be shy. As I said in my first post in this thread, the only Intel CPU that makes any sense financially now is the Pentium for around £55. It's an awesome entry level gaming CPU as they have put HT on it. Anything above that works out too expensive when compared to Ryzen.

Right at this second? the Intel I5 *may* have the edge. I really don't know, as I don't play ARMA and don't have a Ryzen (yet, and I stress yet...) however, the 1600 is pretty much bang on terms with the Intel 6850k yet costs £550 in the UK compared to £200 for the Ryzen. That is how much sense Intel CPUs make right now.

It's also a bit naive even buying a quad core CPU these days, because the dynamics are changing fast. I wouldn't say you need an 8 core CPU yet but hex core CPUs are literally going to be the next quad core and there is nothing Intel can do about it. They've kept us on four cores for so long it's crazy, now AMD have put an end to their scroogeness.

Intel will hit back, and before long they will end up having to release a hex core desktop CPU that fits in their standard desktop boards (IE not *99 series etc).

It's far, far more forward thinking to go with Ryzen. Hell, if you want to push for a 1700 then do so as it will last you far longer going into the future. AMD have also somewhat confirmed that their next gen 7nm Ryzen CPUs will also work in their existing AM4 motherboards. You buy a Kabylake now? yeah, you will need a new board for the next Intel tech this time next year.
AMD is really the unknown for me at this stage, and as hard as it is being in the middle of studies maybe I shouldn't build a gaming beast and look at a laptop? These sorts of things should be considered but I'm not 100% sure as I love gaming like probably everyone in this forum

The reason I was looking at building a new one was because my stock standard ASUS computer's GPU finally died after being pushed too far. Maybe a base new rig with Intel Pentium and a GTX 960 might be okay but I usually buy things to last... Hearing the quad core could soon be outdated though... So many decisions and I only have like a week to get this build finalised to build too!! Ugh
Old 20-05-17, 05:02 AM
OC3D Elite

Stop being scared of the AMD CPU's you are really doing yourself a disservice buy only going Intel with the money you can save you can buy a MUCH better system overall and I don't generally recommend going a laptop unless you really need to go portable they are more expensive for less performance and tend to be hotter and living here in Aus I know how much of a problem that can be
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 2400Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=CableMod RGB LED=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Old 20-05-17, 05:45 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
I looked at pricing, update being I would be getting the 7600K and over clock it sensibly with an AIO Watercooler.
And you'd spend more to get less in return.

Just like I said earlier, the AMD Ryzen 1600 is the best cpu for gaming in regards to price/performance. If you want pure performance, then the Intel 7700k. But even then Ryzen has shown to even best that in some games. You say you want things to last. And Ryzen with better multi threading performance along with having more cores/threads, gaurentees future proof. Or at least more than Intel.
If you only want Intel. Fine. Just know you are making a pretty bad choice for what you want. It is your money after all and if you feel we are wrong, then that's​ that.

I'll still help you whatever platform you choose. We are like family here. Don't always agree or even maybe like each other, but still support each other.
Old 20-05-17, 06:04 AM
OC3D Elite

Hmmm not much to add here but more cores/threads is the way to go don't be scared of AMD they innovate. I would say if you went Ryzen at least you have 4 years with the same socket so you could just upgrade your CPU unlike if you went the Intel route

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

STEAM ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tolemac/

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 20-05-17, 02:38 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
I play ArmA (all of them) and you are right, having experimented with AMD FX (4100 & 6300) and Pentiums (G3258) you'll are right in the knowledge that you need moar cores. 4 minimum and preferably with hyperthreading as ArmA runs much smoother and as NBD has said you need strong IPC too. Any i7 or i5 (4 cores+) post Haswell would be perfect for it, I'm not sure how Ryzen handles it though.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 20-05-17, 03:26 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd say that's pretty conclusive. ARMA hates AMD and doesn't seem to touch more than four cores.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 20-05-17, 04:37 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

I'd say that's pretty conclusive. ARMA hates AMD and doesn't seem to touch more than four cores.
There CPU optimization is pretty terrible then. Wonder if they have updated the engine to take better use of Ryzen recently.