Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 14-05-17, 10:35 AM

Fan control by watertemp

Hi

I'm in the start of planning a custom watercooling loop.
The current plan.
Corsair 250D
EKWB
SE 240
CE 140
= 3 fans and a DDC pump. (EK-SBAY)

EDIT: I want to be able to control the fans according to water temperature.
Aquacomputer Aquaero seems to be the way to go, but 100€ to control 3 fans?
Any better options, or is Aquaero just THAT good (I want the 6 LT due to heat output)

Corsair Commander mini = No way, just as expensive, and i have had problems with the software

Old 14-05-17, 10:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Aquaaero is THAT good. but with their new policy i find BS, you will need to pay a license fee to continue using their software.

That being said, its not worth it for just 3fans unless you wanted to use it for your pumps too. But why control fans based on watertemp? water fluctuations will be slow and very small in comparison to fans controlled in proportion to hardware temps like CPU, GPU, mobo etc.
Old 14-05-17, 11:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Aquaaero is THAT good. but with their new policy i find BS, you will need to pay a license fee to continue using their software.
lol what?

Manners cost nothing, but a lack of them will cost you everything.
Old 14-05-17, 02:37 PM

Quote:
you will need to pay a license fee to continue using their software.
As i understand it, you can keep using it. You just cant update to a newer version of the software, unless you pay for it. Or am i wrong?
Quote:
That being said, its not worth it for just 3fans unless you wanted to use it for your pumps too. But why control fans based on watertemp? water fluctuations will be slow and very small in comparison to fans controlled in proportion to hardware temps like CPU, GPU, mobo etc.
Because then the fanspeed will also only rise slowly. And all 3 fans will spinup/work together.
So in a game with 99% GPU and 40% CPU, all fans can work together. Instead of 2 not spinning up.
The goal is to be as quiet as possible
Old 15-05-17, 08:23 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
As i understand it, you can keep using it. You just cant update to a newer version of the software, unless you pay for it. Or am i wrong?

Because then the fanspeed will also only rise slowly. And all 3 fans will spinup/work together.
So in a game with 99% GPU and 40% CPU, all fans can work together. Instead of 2 not spinning up.
The goal is to be as quiet as possible
You can make your fans work together and rise slowly even if using your CPU temp on your basic mobo software. You just need to adjust the fan graph to not be so responsive on miniscule temp changes.

At the end of the day, it is your money to spend as you will. I use the Aquaaero XT6 and I love it, I just think its wasted money if only used for 3 fans. Of course you can expand at a later time. But depending on your fans being pwm or not, there are probably cheaper alternative like Lamptron CW611 if fans are 3pin.
Old 16-05-17, 03:09 PM

Quote:
You can make your fans work together and rise slowly even if using your CPU temp on your basic mobo software. You just need to adjust the fan graph to not be so responsive on miniscule temp changes.
But thats not fun
I have 2 Corsair ML120 and a ML140, so PWN. I will probably be getting the Aquaaero 6LT
Then there is room for upgrading
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

What motherboard do you have? My Asus Z97 Ranger had a "T-Probe" which I could connect a thermal sensor to and install it the loop. The Fans could then be set in the bios to react to the t probe temp rather than CPU temp, a cheaper solution if your board has the connector
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM

I have thought of that possibility, but my old Z87I-PRO does not have that option
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Only relatively "new" boards have that option. I know my Crosshair VI does, but I haven't made use of it yet. Nice sounding feature on paper, but if they don't make it easy in the software or BIOS, it's a moot point. I'm going to try to make use of it just cause it's there, and I can, same reason you want it. You should have loads of fun with an Aquero!
/ 360 rad x 3 / dual D5 vario pumps
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
You should have loads of fun with an Aquero!
I'm hopefully handing in my Master Thesis on the 9th of June.
The watercooling is going to be a present for myself
Being an engineer i think the Aquerro is just the thing for me