Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Suggestions

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I can't wait for Tom to get his hands on Turing. He can finally make the Mod-bot 2000, or perhaps the mod-bot 2000 Ti.
Well I don't see what the Turing cards have to do with it but sure

If someone would be willing to learn some Linear Algebra and Python(amongst others)and do it for free for the benefit of the site it could be done

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Well I don't see what the Turing cards have to do with it but sure

If someone would be willing to learn some Linear Algebra and Python(amongst others)and do it for free for the benefit of the site it could be done
You were referencing AI. Turing is all about two things, AI and Ray Tracing.
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Am I the only one who don't understand nor know what all this "Ray Tracing" is? Sounds like something out of a Tron movie lol.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Am I the only one who don't understand nor know what all this "Ray Tracing" is? Sounds like something out of a Tron movie lol.
Basically, Ray Tracing is computing beams (or rays) of light to draw a final image. Doing so creates images that can be close to what the human eye sees than anything using rasterisation methods, which all games use ATM.

Everything we have now fakes what the human eye sees, whereas Ray Tracing can create super-accurate lighting, shadows, reflections etc etc. Most CG films use Ray Tracing to get everything to look good, though the problem with that is how long it takes to render everything.

Ray Tracing has often been called the "holy grail" of graphics technology, with the main problem with the technology being its insane compute requirements.

Nvidia's RT cores are purpose-built for Ray Tracing, so they can generate a tonne of ray simulations very quickly. Using things like Microsoft's DXR (DirectX Ray Tracing) will allow this Ray Tracing tech to be used with standard rasterisation, creating a method for developers to slowly adopt ray tracing as more powerful hardware is developed.

Basically, depending on how developers use Nvidia's Ray Tracing tech, we can see more accurate shadows, lighting, reflections and other effects in games. Screen space reflections could be replaced with real, accurate reflections etc etc.

Another thing to point out is that since DXR is a Microsoft thing, AMD can also develop their own Ray Tracing hardware to accelerate the process. In fact, Microsoft says that they worked with both AMD and Nvidia on the API.

Summary, Ray Tracing simulates light on a beam-by-beam basis to accurately generate computer graphics. Its computationally expensive, so Nvidia created purpose-built hardware to accelerate their generation. This technique can allow games to have better shadows, lighting, reflections and more.

-edit- only after writing this post did I realise that this is in a thread that has nothing to do with Ray Tracing...
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
You were referencing AI. Turing is all about two things, AI and Ray Tracing.
No it's about RT. AI isn't applied to games and really won't be relevant for a while. The Quadro cards sure.
Old Today, 02:51 AM
OC3D Crew

I'm signing up for some Korean courses so I can understand this tech forum.