Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 30-08-18, 10:47 AM
OC3D Elite

I will be doing it either black or red (inside). Not decided which yet, but don't think I've ever seen a hammered red case.. We'll see I have plenty of time to think about that.

Old 30-08-18, 11:00 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I will be doing it either black or red (inside). Not decided which yet, but don't think I've ever seen a hammered red case.. We'll see I have plenty of time to think about that.
Go black.

Red cases always look terrible to me. Just look at the LD V8 case with Red. Then imagine parts inside being black (god help people who would choose red components in a red case).

Pretty sure you would think its too much. Black goes with almost any combination, and allows you freedom to change/upgrade later on. I think Red and Yellow are the two colours I could never use as an interior case colour. Its just too much and feels like colour bleeding before its even began
Old 30-08-18, 11:04 AM
OC3D Elite

Most of it will be covered in acrylic any way. IDK like I said I will see how it goes. I think the board has some grey on it, so I might rock grey. There will be small red accents (like the fittings for example) but nothing major. I will be using black cables. Just plain black, nothing else.

But yeah, 95% of the internal case will be skimmed out in 3mm flat acrylic (black most probably). There will also be no internal lighting, nor LED fans (plain black again).

Oh and the pump will not be standing on anything man. It will be straight piped into the bottom of the res, then hung like it is now on the res (with rubber grommets).

Just like it is now, only slightly beefier.

Problem is IMGUR is broken, so I can't even show you that lol.

If that works that will show you how I intend to do it.

Old 30-08-18, 11:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Most of it will be covered in acrylic any way. IDK like I said I will see how it goes. I think the board has some grey on it, so I might rock grey. There will be small red accents (like the fittings for example) but nothing major. I will be using black cables. Just plain black, nothing else.

But yeah, 95% of the internal case will be skimmed out in 3mm flat acrylic (black most probably). There will also be no internal lighting, nor LED fans (plain black again).

Oh and the pump will not be standing on anything man. It will be straight piped into the bottom of the res, then hung like it is now on the res (with rubber grommets).

Just like it is now, only slightly beefier.

Problem is IMGUR is broken, so I can't even show you that lol.
Accents are what make things pop. Red accents will be good. Red interior not so much. Call me boring Norman, but I am a big fan of grey. Dark/gunmetal/metallic etc.

This is a big favourite of mine.
Old 30-08-18, 11:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Accents are what make things pop. Red accents will be good. Red interior not so much. Call me boring Norman, but I am a big fan of grey. Dark/gunmetal/metallic etc.

This is a big favourite of mine.
Well I was only worried about over doing it. That said, I don't think any one could really over do black. Not that I've ever seen any one try, but yeah I don't think it's possible /paintitblack.

Also note the res is clear as is the coolant now (that's a way old pic the pastel failed so I put in clear) and I will be using (probably) clear hosing and possibly a couple of hard runs to stop that big ole nasty return line that always bugs me with hoses. I'll curve it where it wants to curve, then go straight where it will look better straight.

Oh also, now that I can see your image... I want hammered finish dude. I also want to use Hammerite, as it's direct to metal, sticks like crap to a shovel and is very strong and hard wearing. If I go with a smooth finish and paint it by hand? yeah, brush mark heaven. Hammerite goes on, then reacts to hammered finish and all of the brush marks vanish. Not spray painting in my flat any more, I did a few bike parts a few weeks back and I am still cleaning off overspray from my floor (where it settled and then fell).

I can't spray paint here. Plus again, I've not seen a case with a hammered look interior before (with lots of matt acrylic either).

Old 30-08-18, 11:36 AM
OC3D Elite

OK testing testing 1 2 3

Edit. Cool. OK as you can see I took the cage out last night. Was a total nightmare and I suffered many cuts, as parts of the case were set into others and then riveted. So I had to derivet, then bend and smash. It's out though, but I also need to remove the old fan holder lump as it will restrict the floor pan (it did before tbh). It's sorta near the front and in the bottom. Yeah, that needs to go also.

Old 30-08-18, 12:31 PM
OC3D Elite

The effort you're ready to put in in order to maintain the ALX look is impressive. Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Also, spotted the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel in the background. NFS Porsche 2000 bundled with it was plain awesome.
Old 30-08-18, 02:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah sadly it hasn't been used so I am going to gut it.

Going back to the pump.. Forgot to say, that is all sorted no matter how I want to shake it.

I've bought one of those which comes with everything you need.

Old 30-08-18, 03:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Right, well that should do the buying part. I found a deal on these @ £5 each for 120s and £11 for the 92.

And some Tygon tubing 11/8.

Old 31-08-18, 01:18 PM
OC3D Elite

OK so yesterday I got this done. I cut it down from 360 to 240.

Basically cut down with Dremel, file smooth with belt sander and rivet on. Note though, this is not a part you will see. It will be riveted into the chassis and become part of it, then there will be a cover over it hiding it completely. It just gives me a 240 front mount to go with the one in the roof