Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 24-12-18, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

had a few bits turn up today

the rest of the fans have turned up and should be fitted be able to fit over xmas or new year with any luck

v groove bearings also turned up so made a start on the speakers

also have one of the drawer fronts cut and fixed in place

printer cabinet now has shelf for printer

plenty of room with it pulled out to in case you need to get to it

Old 25-12-18, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

i think i have now done pretty much all i can do now until the plastic turns up

all the fans fitted in the lower part of the desk

all the cables routes sorted on the back now, getting a little busy round there now

both drawer fronts cut and fixed in place - the bottom drawer sticks out at the moment on the right hand side due to a broken drawer runner which a replacement has been sent out but i guess wont now show up till the new year

as soon as the plastic turns up i can work out cables routes for motherboard and then cable routes for the radiator fans and then its all down to prep for painting
Old 26-12-18, 06:20 AM

That's an awesome craft bro. I really need ideas for my gaming room and this one helped me a lot =)
Old 27-12-18, 02:32 AM
OC3D Elite

I must admit, looking at your build log here and seeing your craftmanship, especially your cable management etc, really gave me the kick in the backside feeling of getting off my feet and start doing. So that’s exactly what I’ve started doing with my own desk now. Obviously not the extents of your desk, but small ones such as cable mangement, drilling holes for nicer cable routing etc.

Got a question though regarding your building, what tool(s) are you using to make those nice and clean looking channels for the LED strips etc?... Any specific in mind?.
Old 28-12-18, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhebhe View Post
That's an awesome craft bro. I really need ideas for my gaming room and this one helped me a lot =)
Thanks Bhebhe. Glad it has helped you out and gave you some ideas mate, its given me ideas that i should have included in this build but did not think about them at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
I must admit, looking at your build log here and seeing your craftmanship, especially your cable management etc, really gave me the kick in the backside feeling of getting off my feet and start doing. So that’s exactly what I’ve started doing with my own desk now. Obviously not the extents of your desk, but small ones such as cable mangement, drilling holes for nicer cable routing etc.

Got a question though regarding your building, what tool(s) are you using to make those nice and clean looking channels for the LED strips etc?... Any specific in mind?.
Well im glad to have helped with your motivation Dawelio you best get cracking on now and ill keep a look out for progress. yer youll be surprised as all the little things add up to make a big improvement in the end.

the channels were done with a wood working router and 6mm and 12mm double fluted cutter, i also used a straight edge where it would fit so i could run the router down there keeping the channel straight but its not needed really if you have a steady hand or its not going to be seen.

as far a router goes if your only going to be doing channels and small bits then you dont need anything expensive. So far for this project ive only used my small router which is a Trend T4 with 1/4 inch bits and not had the need to break out the 1/2 inch router yet. you can get the Trend T4 router with a starter set of bits for around 90 pounds sterling but you could also buy a cheaper 1/4 inch router and cutters on their own - i will say its mainly the cutters that make the difference and if your going to be doing a fair amount of work with them its worth while buying Trend cutters as they are so much better.

well little more progress made over the last few days

made a start on the i/o shield holders - not done any metal work for a fair while so its taken some time to get back into it

marked out on some steel

cut the steel to the right size

added the fold marks/lines

made the first folds - done with a pair of pliers

then made the second folds with pliers

it still needs some hammer and dolly which ive not done yet and to have the joins in the edges welded up

had the plastic turn up today which had bits of the order missing and the corner of the plastic for the top panel was scratched fairly deep

the scratch in the top panel

the motherboard trays had melted plastic stuck to the edges of them

lucky the piece of plastic for the top panel was scratched in a place i did not need so i could get that cut to shape and fitted

the motherboard trays are also usable as i can sand the melted plastic off the edges
view threw the top with plastic in place

view from the front - i may have to sand or sand blast the plastic to help the light diffuse a little better

i did also mark out for the motherboard mounting holes but i need a M3 tap in order to put the stand off in - which has been ordered up but wont be here till the new year now so i/o shield holders all i can really do for now
Old 04-01-19, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

not got to much as still waiting for an M3 tap to do the motherboard trays and ive been let down by on the plastic front, i still need a piece of plastic for the front of the desk which ive been messaging a few companies about but they dont seem to want to do it or if they do they want silly money for it but i guess this could well be down to the fact that i now only need one piece of plastic.

did get the i/o shield holder bent up and will try and get these finished off and fitted tomorrow.
cut and marked out

all the bends done but still have holes to cut

face side

just need to weld the corners up and infill one piece then work out how im going to mount them as id rather try and keep the fixing unseen if i can
Old 23-01-19, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

got a little bit more done over the last few days, progress has been of late due health issues again.

changed the cable for the under motherboard leds, from some cable i took out the scrap pile to some nice 18 gauge tri rated cable

also changed the cable for the led strip in the lid and sleeved the part that will be seen when the lid is open

got the io holders cut out after bending them up but i was not happy with 0.80mm sheet metal as it was far to thin so i ordered up some 1.5mm sheet and made it out of that.

ive now got one of these made and one to do

welded some bolts on the back side so that no fixings were showing from the front

installed the io holder and then set about motherboard placement

routed out two slots for the 24 pin and 8 pin cables for motherboard power

looks like this at the moment

led under motherboard light up
view from top

view from front

so far pretty happy with the way its going even though its taken longer than id like, id like to get this ready to paint as soon as the weather turns and also if i can get my next project (nas case) done to the point its ready for paint so they can both get done at the same time in spring.

i guess tomorrow will be more cable management if all goes well
Old 23-01-19, 07:59 PM
Bettyswollocks

Not going to lie I'm really enjoying this build.

As for your health take it easy and go at your own pace.
Old 25-01-19, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Not going to lie I'm really enjoying this build.

As for your health take it easy and go at your own pace.
thanks im glad someone is interested and im starting to like it more now its coming together, just hope the final outcome is how i picture it in my head.

yes living with Myalgic Encephalopathy really is a pain but thats life for you, just got to make the most of it and do what i can when i can

got a little more progress done today although it did not end well sadly

wanted to make something to cover up the big holes that the cables come threw so

marked out these
24 pin and 8 pin

drill the holes out and cut them out and then welded some bolts on the back to fix them in place

then routed the area underneath them so they will sit flush, this never went as well as i planned as the router did not feel as tight as normal and was hard/awkward to use.

then this happened

router stopped play with a broken bearing, the lower bearing must have got dust in it and is now locked solid. now have to wait for a new one to turn up before i can do much more

also changed the motherboard screws to cap head allen bolts to match the ones the fans are mounted

GPU also mounted with cap head allen bolts

thats all the progress for now, its not much for a days work but spent hours trying to get a bearing sorted out with no luck
Old 29-01-19, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

been trying to think of some bits that i can get done while i wait for the bearing to turn up for the router.

got the other io shield mount made, started to do a little filler work to it just to remove the pin holes

also did the other 24 pin and 8 pin covers