Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 27-03-20, 03:22 PM
OC3D Elite

It worked

woohoo.

Old 28-03-20, 05:00 PM
OC3D Elite

And then it stopped lol. Typical Xonar STX fashion. Would play a couple of tunes then click out the relays.

I then removed the SATA power from the riser and it's been rock solid ever since. So it works, it just doesn't need the extra current (and was probably why it was tripping out). I've had it going since 11pm last night and it's perfect.

Treated myself to this.

Which will go in the bottom (or top in my case) slot that is either NVME or M.2 SATA.

I also ordered this for the riser.

And then I found out I was stupid. X570's PCH adds 16 extra lanes. However, even though I ordered two Patriot Viper NVME I can only use one as they have large heatsinks on.

And thus won't fit under the armour. So, I am going to use the SATA drive under there and then fit another of these into the X4 full length slot.

Then I will migrate the OS to that, leaving 1tb NVME for games and 1tb MSATA for music and downloads etc. More than enough.

The new sound card came this morning, so maybe later tonight I will try and get that fitted. IDK though, as I am enjoying a weekend off after running around like mad all week so I could come to mum's and help her out. Cooking, cleaning. All the fun stuff lol.

Old 29-03-20, 08:55 PM
OC3D Elite

OK sound card and riser fitted (and installed and working). SSD worked too, so thanks for the advice there guys.

The blue USB cable looks a bit crap, but I've ordered the above. If they are too long I can just get a black 60cm for about £3.

There is one thing I don't like, mind. The front rad mount thing has 140mm holes and 120mm holes. I am using a double 120, so it looks a bit "gappy". Even though the filter.

So I got these in gunmetal. They are 140, so will cover the gap. I won't be hooking up the RGB but they weren't too cheap given they are alu.

Still, £36 in the grand scheme of things didn't seem too bad.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
OC3D Elite

OK, those USB cables don't work. So it's plan B.

I've ordered it in two sizes (10mm and 15mm) and will see how I get on. I also got this

So I am sure that I can come up with something more suitable.

The one thing that is super annoying is that the sound cards are not being held at the bottom of the PCIE slot. Even if I had the genuine Lian Li cable it would not stop the secondary input card from doing it. They bend in when you connect things. I had two options. Drill through the bottom of the slot so I could bolt into the holes in the cards (not a fan) or make something out of 8mm acrylic and stick it in with 3m to stop them doing that. I ordered the 3m and acrylic. If that fails I will have to drill the case, but I would rather not.