Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 24-10-19, 02:08 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm with the "it's bs" crowd.

They could at least have offered the chance to "upgrade" (aka fix) their thicc 2.

In the EU you can demand a refund or replacement if the card does not meet your expectations. Not sure about the USA though.

Old 24-10-19, 04:08 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
I get you, but I disagree whit your point. The THICC II has dropped in price almost everywhere (at least here in the UK). I would read that as they're discontinuing the THICC II and replacing it with the THICC III. I hope it's this as it shows their listen to feedback.

Now I may be wrong, but even if I am, the THICC II being the cheap option (same price as reference design currently) and the THICC III being the premium option, is totally fine with me.
THICC being a budget option would be OK, but it's still very large and very poorly designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
It's literally the same GPU with a different cooler while THICC II looks to be getting axed. 2.5 and 2.7 occupy the same number of PCI-E slots.
Right. And the original had the same design aesthetically, had the same name minus one 'I', the same clock speeds within reasonable margin (not that it matters), was overpriced, and was poorly designed. If the original THICC II was a compact, affordable option with none of the design flaws, I would be totally on board with this. It'd be a good cooler going on steroids. The issue goes back to the THICC II being awful, not the THICC III existing at all. It'd be like someone going on steroids who hasn't figured out how to bench press yet and never trains legs.

What about the people who unknowingly bought a rubbish card? Do they all get refunds? Yes, it's the responsibility of the consumer to do their research, but it's also the responsibility of the engineers to ensure basic necessities are met before they release a product. Personally I don't think the THICC III is in response to the THICC II being a failure. I think it was always going to happen. That's just my guess, but it's part of the reason why I find this situation uncool.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 24-10-19, 05:26 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
It's literally the same GPU with a different cooler while THICC II looks to be getting axed. 2.5 and 2.7 occupy the same number of PCI-E slots.
Sure does but doesn't mean it'll fit in the same cases the Thicc 2 did. As far as we can tell it's the same exact cooler. You have no idea if it's different internally. Externally they added another fan.

It's still a fail in my book. It's an awful card that only has looks. They need 3 fans to do the job other brands are doing with 2 fans. It's sad.
Old 02-11-19, 11:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Looks like it won't cook its memory so eagerly.

And apparently this change is made to newer THICC II cards as well.
Old 02-11-19, 12:08 PM
OC3D Elite

It did seem like Navi put OEMs on a pretty tight schedule with aftermarket designs and only the larger companies seemed able to produce something both in time and to a high quality, seems like the original THICC2's were marred by some corner cutting to optimise time to market.
Old 02-11-19, 01:24 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd send it back as not fit for purpose. Rushed or trying to save money it clearly isn't fit.