Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 01-12-16, 08:27 AM

R9 Fury- owners opinions

Hi there! Yes, I just choose my username randomly, I'm not really a create your online persona type.

I am looking at the R9 Fury, so to those who OWN the card, why did you buy the card? At the price point (please state) was the card better than any other card you had?

I am thinking of purchasing the card. I do think there will be better cards slated to release soon, if anybody could confirm this let me know.

Old 01-12-16, 01:14 PM
OC3D Elite

I had SLi Titan Black. When I did some benchmarks with a friend who had a 980ti the Ti was up to two times as fast. So I initially wanted a Ti.

A guy I know bought a Fury X on launch day. Within a few hours they were gone. Any way, he's an Nvidia fan and only bought the Fury X as a token to show he wasn't totally anti AMD (he is, it didn't work) and a week later he sold it to me for £430. Which was £100 less than he paid and it was a week old. And by that time you could not get them in the stores so they were expensive on Ebay.

I've had it ever since. I originally started off with one at 4k and it was OK for like mid 20s FPS lows. Highs were around 40, it wasn't enough.

So then I bought another one, worst thing I ever did. I then started having issues with it running out of VRAM. First was COD BLOPS III. It used to crash if I enabled the "extra" settings so they launched a patch which stopped me accessing the extra settings. I found that a bit annoying.

I then had VRAM issues with Rise Of The Tomb Raider at max settings. This time there was no patch and the game used to randomly freeze for about 40 seconds and then continue. AMD then issued a note in their drivers to use high settings.

At which point I had made my mind up. I was going to sell the remaining Titan Black, sell the second of the Fury X, move the remaining one into my wife's rig and then buy a Titan X Maxwell. When I spend that kind of money I expect the highest settings....

So a couple of weeks back my wife decided she no longer wanted her desktop. So I have been gaming again on the Fury X. A few hiccups, but mostly it's been good going. AMD have now released a new driver that uses "DriverCache" which apparently alleviates VRAM issues but I have not yet tested that side of things.

I have mostly been playing at 1440p (Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Dead Island Definitive) and 4k (Borderlands). I've had no real issues as such and the ones I have had have been down to the game itself (Borderlands has no Vsync, my monitor only has one 70hz DP the rest are 60hz HDMI so I am tossing up whether to lose 70hz on my Titan X rig or go with Freesync on the AMD for games that don't have it).

Bottom line? would I buy one again at launch? no.
Would I buy one now for the price they are selling for now? absolutely.

It's still a very good card and it seems to be right in its element at 1440p. I can also drive up the resolution higher than the monitor with VSR when playing older games, which is nice.

Apparently the 490 is coming soon. Just before Xmas, IIRC. AMD have said that it will perform around the same as a 1080, but, and here's the kicker, I don't think it's Vega. I think it is just a delayed version of the dual RX 480 card we heard about months and months ago.

I would rather bore a hole in my forehead, then fill it with prussic acid than use Crossfire ever again. Or any other sort of multi GPU rig for that matter.

Old 01-12-16, 07:32 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

I would rather bore a hole in my forehead, then fill it with prussic acid than use Crossfire ever again. Or any other sort of multi GPU rig for that matter.
Daaaaaaaamn....... harsh words bro!!

I my self have a Fury X with a EK waterblock and it is a great card for 1440p, I personaly use it for 3440 x 1440 but the games that I play are not THAT demanding.

If you can pick it up at a good price then I would go for it - I got my through a swap with a mate that was around 300euros in hardware for the Fury X WITHOUT the EK waterblock.
Old 01-12-16, 10:43 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Had a Fury X. Bought second hand.

But don't bother getting it. While it was a fantastic card, like you said, new stuff coming out very soon. May as well wait.
Old 02-12-16, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I had SLi Titan Black. When I did some benchmarks with a friend who had a 980ti the Ti was up to two times as fast. So I initially wanted a Ti.

A guy I know bought a Fury X on launch day. Within a few hours they were gone. Any way, he's an Nvidia fan and only bought the Fury X as a token to show he wasn't totally anti AMD (he is, it didn't work) and a week later he sold it to me for £430. Which was £100 less than he paid and it was a week old. And by that time you could not get them in the stores so they were expensive on Ebay.

I've had it ever since. I originally started off with one at 4k and it was OK for like mid 20s FPS lows. Highs were around 40, it wasn't enough.

So then I bought another one, worst thing I ever did. I then started having issues with it running out of VRAM. First was COD BLOPS III. It used to crash if I enabled the "extra" settings so they launched a patch which stopped me accessing the extra settings. I found that a bit annoying.

I then had VRAM issues with Rise Of The Tomb Raider at max settings. This time there was no patch and the game used to randomly freeze for about 40 seconds and then continue. AMD then issued a note in their drivers to use high settings.

At which point I had made my mind up. I was going to sell the remaining Titan Black, sell the second of the Fury X, move the remaining one into my wife's rig and then buy a Titan X Maxwell. When I spend that kind of money I expect the highest settings....

So a couple of weeks back my wife decided she no longer wanted her desktop. So I have been gaming again on the Fury X. A few hiccups, but mostly it's been good going. AMD have now released a new driver that uses "DriverCache" which apparently alleviates VRAM issues but I have not yet tested that side of things.

I have mostly been playing at 1440p (Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Dead Island Definitive) and 4k (Borderlands). I've had no real issues as such and the ones I have had have been down to the game itself (Borderlands has no Vsync, my monitor only has one 70hz DP the rest are 60hz HDMI so I am tossing up whether to lose 70hz on my Titan X rig or go with Freesync on the AMD for games that don't have it).

Bottom line? would I buy one again at launch? no.
Would I buy one now for the price they are selling for now? absolutely.

It's still a very good card and it seems to be right in its element at 1440p. I can also drive up the resolution higher than the monitor with VSR when playing older games, which is nice.

Apparently the 490 is coming soon. Just before Xmas, IIRC. AMD have said that it will perform around the same as a 1080, but, and here's the kicker, I don't think it's Vega. I think it is just a delayed version of the dual RX 480 card we heard about months and months ago.

Thank you so much for that detailed reply. That is very very insightful and exactly what I am looking for in my query. I can buy one for about 200 pounds, brand new Asus Strix model.

Playing at 1440p and 4K sounds great! any pictures of your setup? sounds interesting

Thank you so much for your time in that response again. Made my day. Thanks again
Old 02-12-16, 04:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Great price great card jump with both feet.

https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=78513

That's mine there

Old 03-12-16, 03:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Sapphire Nitro Fury, best of them all. Great cooler, quiet, and almost as fast as a Fury X. They are cheap right now, and no water cooler to worry about going bad.
Old 03-12-16, 03:59 PM
OC3D Elite

I just checked and Extra settings in BLOPS III are still hidden apart from the lighting.

You can hack it back into action though, so I may try later to do that.

If AMD's shader cache works it should run and not black screen on me.

Old 06-12-16, 04:41 PM
Old N Gold

I have the ASUS Strix R9 Fury. It was an expensive version of the Fury, but I wanted the Strix DC3 cooler (for aesthetic reasons), but the 980ti Strix was way too expensive. Also, I wasn't prepared to pay the exorbitant upcharge for G-sync when most of the then G-sync monitors offered terrible quality control.

The GPU has been very good for my usage. I'm playing older games like GTA V, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, MGS V, Borderlands 2, Arkham Origins, Shadow of Mordor, etc. and the Fury is a beast for 1440p in those games. I'm pretty much able to max all of them out (GTA V being an exception as it's extremely demanding at max settings) and get 60 FPS or more. With some tweaking I could maintain 90 FPS in GTA V, which is the sweet spot for a competitive fast-paced game like that.

I bought it in September of 2015 for around £380, which at the time was a lot more in EURO (my currency) than what it is now. If Britain had left the EU sooner (that does not mean I support Brexit) then I would have paid about €470 versus €550. Ahh well. I also bought what I considered to be the best Freesync monitor at the time, the BenQ XL2730Z a 1440p/144Hz monitor. I've had a great time with this setup. It's a very nice monitor and the card runs at 70°C under load with the fans only being slightly louder than my previous Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970, which was very quiet and cool as well.

However, the GPU is lagging when it comes to modern games. The 4GB VRAM limitation and the disappointment that is DX12 has made the Fury a poor choice for buyers today. If you can find a Sapphire Nitro for £250 brand-new, that's a pretty good deal, but I wouldn't pay more than £300. And don't bother with the ASUS Strix version. While my overclocking was absolutely abysmal (I couldn't get 1050Mhz stable with extra voltage, the reference speed of the Fury X), reviews on Newegg for the card are consistently low, stating coil whine susceptibility (mine coil whines) and crashes. Gigabyte released a Fury with their Windforce cooler, but it went completely by the wayside as it was such a disastrous launch for AMD. The entire Fury line has sold only a handful when compared to previous AMD flagships and of course nVidia's flagships.

I'll be replacing the Fury with a Vega GPU in six months time or so and that means I'll be ready for any game that has come out in the last year. I don't mind this as I refuse to pay €60 for a half-finished game which most are these days. The last game I paid full price for was GTA V and it ran like crap on my GTX 970. To be more specific and fair, it ran really well but constantly crashed. It wasn't until I replaced the GPU with the Fury that it stopped crashing. That's not necessarily the games fault, but it was a common problem thousands of GTA V users were experiencing. I won't be paying full price for a game again.

If you're interested in a Fury, here is my recommendation:

Don't buy one if you...
...play the most recent games and want something that will last a long time (4GB is just not enough)
...can't find one for less than £300 (a 980ti can be found for £350, which with some overclocks is a far more powerful GPU)
...like overclocking (the Fury range was terrible for overclocking in general)
...play at 1080p (it's really better suited for older games at 1440p and a few DX12 games like Hitman)

Do buy one if you...
...play older games at 1440p
...play the few DX12 games that support it well (tell me which ones if you want to be sure)
...can find one for £250
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 10-12-16, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Great price great card jump with both feet.

https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=78513

That's mine there
Hi there, Sorry for the late reply. I have been trying to reply, but very embarrassing as the store I often buy from has changed their specials to start on friday to saturday night instead of the usual friday to monday morning that they have been scheduling for the last 7 years. So I thought initially I missed out.

However, the card is back up again, with a host of other deals. So now I can resume the question, with two extra new choices- which I think I might settle on one of them and buy asap.

There is the 8GB R9 390X for approx 220 pounds,
the 4GB Fury at 235 pounds,
the 3GB GTX 1060 at 190 pounds.

I am really keen on the 8GB R9 390X, but a bit iffy on the power consumption. I have a very adequate psu, but the GTX 1060 seems to have better power consumption.

What are your thoughts?