Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 26-11-13, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-8 View Post
i believe it would sneak in perfectly at exactly just slightly over budget. so yes i probably could

right now i'm hearing that they can all be flashed with no issues. my problem is that i wont be buying/building for a month or two (the latter most likely) and i have a feeling that AMD will have remedied this little "loophole" by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
it seems you are right then. regardless like i said if i was working at AMD i would be doing everything i could to ensure that the next shipment of cards cant simply be flashed to avoid paying the price difference.

Old 26-11-13, 11:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-8 View Post
If i was working at AMD i would be doing everything i could to ensure that the next shipment of cards cant simply be flashed to avoid paying the price difference.
I don't think it will be long before AMD close the door on this.

At the moment you have even got retailers like OCUK flashing the cards themselves and selling them on.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...56&subcat=1752

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 26-11-13, 12:25 PM
born in a.....

might want to budget in an aftermarket cooler for that 290 though :l. They ARE noisy.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 27-11-13, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Dev Tomato, thank you for your input but your first post definitely came across as patronizing. and from the cost of the components listed i would have thought it would be obvious that i don't intend to just use it to play Minecraft...
You're welcome. But I will say - requirements being obvious or not - I wanted to see the software requirements written up at the very top of your rig components in red and bold because I consider them that much important (this should be a guideline for posting on New Build Advice). Rationale being - as I mentioned before:

Quote:
"Software has always driven the hardware - without the software, the hardware will fail." - dev_tomato
In addition, gaming has different interpretations as follows:

Quote:
"the CPU requirement for Battlefield 4 MP online is very different say from Minecraft." - dev_tomato
Clear example of two different types of "Games" with completely different workload as far as GPU and CPU are concerned nevertheless all come under the umbrella of gaming.

Part of any advice given by any professional is to collect all facts which implies 0 assumptions. I place heavy emphasis on software and am pretty religious about it and believe me many experts in the industry agree on the fact that software has always driven hardware.

I believe every post ever made on this forum and every post that will ever be made is motivated due to budget constraints/saving some money. As I said:

Quote:
"Otherwise for the OP, since we have no info on what software/games you will be running - just buy i7 4960X and everyone on this forum can go home and sleep. *done*." - dev_tomato
Because if you have no budget constraints, then you wouldn't be posting here to begin with. And without looking at your software requirements, not SuB, not Tom and not even the developers nor Intel can tell you in a definitive manner what you should/should not buy to complement it from hardware point of view.

It doesn't get any clearer than that. But if you were not looking for a definite answer - giving it a 2nd priority and chit chat was a higher priority than solving your problem - then I do apologize to ruin the party. Please do continue if it entertains you as regardless this is my last post on overclocking 3d forum.
Old 27-11-13, 04:06 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_tomato View Post
You're welcome. But I will say - requirements being obvious or not - I wanted to see the software requirements written up at the very top of your rig components in red and bold because I consider them that much important (this should be a guideline for posting on New Build Advice). Rationale being - as I mentioned before:

Clear example of two different types of "Games" with completely different workload as far as GPU and CPU are concerned nevertheless all come under the umbrella of gaming.

Part of any advice given by any professional is to collect all facts which implies 0 assumptions. I place heavy emphasis on software and am pretty religious about it and believe me many experts in the industry agree on the fact that software has always driven hardware.

I believe every post ever made on this forum and every post that will ever be made is motivated due to budget constraints/saving some money. As I said:

Because if you have no budget constraints, then you wouldn't be posting here to begin with. And without looking at your software requirements, not SuB, not Tom and not even the developers can tell you in a definitive manner what you should/should not buy to complement it from hardware point of view.

It doesn't get any clearer than that. But if definite answer wasn't a 2nd priority and chit chat was a higher priority - then I do apologize to ruin the party. Please do continue if it entertains you - regardless this is my last post on overclocking 3d.
You still have not got the point have you.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 27-11-13, 06:04 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Well since this thread seems to be off topic. I'll bring it back

OP: Wait on the gpu. Wait to see which aftermarket coolers come out and reviews. Then make the choice on 280x or 290(x).
Other than that would else do you need help with? Hard to know since little of this thread is actually helpful to you
Old 27-11-13, 08:33 AM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Please do continue if it entertains you as regardless this is my last post on overclocking 3d forum.
Overclock3D*

You haven't got the point, what you're re-iterated is all well and good but your FIRST line of text is what has caused the problem.

Quote:
It's amazing how I see people asking for component advice yet give little to no detail on what type of application they will be running.
It just has the wrong attitude to a first post new guy who's looking for advice, *that* is why everyone has barked at you. You had 5 posts here, that doesn't give you the right to come in with what comes across as sarcasm and un-constructive posts.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 27-11-13, 10:23 AM
born in a.....

Quote:

Ok, let me riddle you this (not that you'll read this, you're too busy trying to be smart). The OP has enough money to get an i5 and a nice 'card. Chances are they saved up for that so that they could get the pc they want. I don't know about you, but if I saved ~£800 on a gaming pc I'd not want to spend £400 of it on a pc just because I only play minecraft. Heck, if they play just minecraft at the moment what not to say they go into another game? Pleases don't tell me you expect people to play the same game over and over again for the time they have a computer.

You won't be welcome in other places if you have that tone about you either.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 28-11-13, 01:00 AM

Quote:

Because if you have no budget constraints, then you wouldn't be posting here to begin with. And without looking at your software requirements, not SuB, not Tom and not even the developers nor Intel can tell you in a definitive manner what you should/should not buy to complement it from hardware point of view.

It doesn't get any clearer than that. But if you were not looking for a definite answer - giving it a 2nd priority and chit chat was a higher priority than solving your problem - then I do apologize to ruin the party. Please do continue if it entertains you as regardless this is my last post on overclocking 3d forum.

well thank you kindly for leaving then, im sure it will help this thread stay on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Well since this thread seems to be off topic. I'll bring it back

OP: Wait on the gpu. Wait to see which aftermarket coolers come out and reviews. Then make the choice on 280x or 290(x).
Other than that would else do you need help with? Hard to know since little of this thread is actually helpful to you
its only the gpu really that im undecided on so i think thats exactly what i'm going to do. plus, if i wait then i might get be able to pick up some of my other components in after Christmas sales.
Old 28-11-13, 03:31 AM
AMD Enthusiast

This is one of the times waiting pays off. Prices may even come down by the time you go to purchase it. I would wait if it was me but then again i have more patience than a lot of other people seem to have these days.

Tags
build help