Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > Games

Old 13-11-18, 01:09 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
One thing starting to play ED has taught me:

I need a HOTAS with more buttons

Logitech X56, The amount of buttons is really useful with some buttons being direction and analogue.

Old 13-11-18, 01:56 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Logitech X56, The amount of buttons is really useful with some buttons being direction and analogue.
Been eyeing that one up more than any other, but the £200+ price tag keeps putting me off at the moment. Will probably get it inevitably since Ace Combat is coming next year as well.

I did look at the Warthog but £400 made me choke
Old 13-11-18, 01:59 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Been eyeing that one up more than any other, but the £200+ price tag keeps putting me off at the moment. Will probably get it inevitably since Ace Combat is coming next year as well.

I did look at the Warthog but £400 made me choke

I actually bought the Warthog and the X56, Had both for around 2 weeks and ended up sending the Warthog back, The price is from it being machined metal and honestly I found the X56 to be a little superior in some aspects.

Old 13-11-18, 02:01 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
In actually bought the Warthog and the X56, Had both for around 2 weeks and ended up sending the Warthog back, The price is from it being machined metal and honestly I found the X56 to be a little superior in some aspects.
That's what I thought comparing the two. Having it machined from metal does not justify the price premium on it. I feel rather smug with my current one. I bought it brand new for £20 on eBay years ago when flight sticks weren't selling that great but now it goes for anywhere between £50 and £60
Old 13-11-18, 02:03 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
That's what I thought comparing the two. Having it machined from metal does not justify the price premium on it. I feel rather smug with my current one. I bought it brand new for £20 on eBay years ago when flight sticks weren't selling that great but now it goes for anywhere between £50 and £60

Yeah the price is a little over the top, It's also modelled on the actual A-10 Warthog throttle and stick which means licensing costs comes into play.

Unless you are a die hard A-10 plane fan it is not worth the extra £200.

Old 13-11-18, 05:13 PM
too many shrooms

Quote:

Agreed mate I had the hotas x myself, a few of the buttons broke though so now I need to get myself some more
Old 13-11-18, 05:27 PM
OC3D Crew

I've got an old Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar. Great stick for its age but I keep considering getting some kind of keypad to go next to the throttle to help with all the necessary keybinds as my keyboard is on a sliding shelf and thus not readily accessible when gaming on the HOTAS.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 13-11-18, 05:28 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:

Yeah I have the same one and agree lol
Old 13-11-18, 06:38 PM
OC3D Elite

X56 Rhino user right here, and it's great for now but if I could have got one I would swap it for a warthog with a set of pedals.

The X56 is just a full plastic steaming mess, that within the next couple of months I am going to have to strip it and replace all the wiring inside, and potentially some of the switches.

It was from one of the last batches that Saitek made, but apparently even the ones made by Logitech have a similar failure rate.

Sounds silly me saying it's great and then moaning about needing to do work on it soon, but the amount of button's, switches and hat's is perfect for Elite although I have not played it for ages and not tried the beta for the new stuff.

The one thing I do also have is an Xbox controller and that is for using the SRV and also the galaxy/system map when playing in VR.
Old 13-11-18, 06:43 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien c View Post
X56 Rhino user right here, and it's great for now but if I could have got one I would swap it for a warthog with a set of pedals.

The X56 is just a full plastic steaming mess, that within the next couple of months I am going to have to strip it and replace all the wiring inside, and potentially some of the switches.

It was from one of the last batches that Saitek made, but apparently even the ones made by Logitech have a similar failure rate.

Sounds silly me saying it's great and then moaning about needing to do work on it soon, but the amount of button's, switches and hat's is perfect for Elite although I have not played it for ages and not tried the beta for the new stuff.

The one thing I do also have is an Xbox controller and that is for using the SRV and also the galaxy/system map when playing in VR.
A reddit post by Logitech addressed those issues and said they fixed them with improved machining, wiring, Production techniques etc.... Thing I have noticed is the people who are complaining of the new revamped all black "RGB" units breaking/malfunctioning tend to treat them REALLY rough.

Friend of mine on Discord nearly snapped his stick sideways and then said "oh it's being buggy"....

The only thing I'd recommend is an external powered USB hub as they do draw a tiny bit more power than even a mobo can handle and often give ghost presses but then anything outside of a standard xbox/PS controller I would recommend a powered hub.