Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 25-09-14, 09:32 PM

Question My pc went up in flames :-( any ideas why?

Pc fire :-(
My pc went up in flames this Saturday morning when my better half turned it on. She had the sense to kill the power to it and shout for me to come down stairs. i then carried the burning pc outside to put out the flames. Very lucky the house didn't go up.
My question is it looks like the fire started in the fan controller area this came complete with the nzxt phantom case.
Has anyone known these cases give any trouble?
Or do you think fire started else where in system?
All components are fried apart from 1 hard drive that didn't have my good data on it . :-)

Old 25-09-14, 09:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Probably a combination of dust and a damaged cable.
There is a lot of damage on the height of the ODD, i'd consider that an option for the start of the fire as well.
Old 25-09-14, 09:49 PM
The Guvnor

Considering there is damage below the fancontroller I would actually say this was more than likely the optical drive than anything else and I can honestly say this is the first time Ive known any components like this catch fire

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 25-09-14, 10:04 PM
OC3D Elite

It looks like it's originated around the power connector of the ODD. I've never heard of something like this happening, is it insured in any way or do you just have to shoulder the cost?

Old 25-09-14, 10:10 PM
OC3D Elite

I've seen oxidation and black marks but never flames or this kind of burning in a PC case, and those was from 6 year old computers, stuck under desks never cleaned...
But that case looked pretty clean hope you find the fault.
All i can think of is maybe lots of removing and pushing back onto the same head may of striped back some of the wiring on the head and caused a short circuit but that normally would of cut a PSU out. Unless it was literally a tiny connection thats fused over.
Glad you and the family is all ok!
Old 25-09-14, 10:12 PM

I had to carry the pc outside with it in flames lucky house didn't go up downstairs of house full of black smoke and fumes. Its covered under my house insurance but with the excess and the probable rise in insurance premiums not sure it would be worth claiming.
Fans cleaned out every 3 months so no dust build up (am a comptia cert tech).
Bit of a worry mind. Do you think the power supply should of shut down cos I would of thought the optical drive must of pulled high amps to create enough heat to go up in flames ?

Fml not got the funds to build a new one as yet
Old 25-09-14, 10:16 PM
OC3D Elite

You only need a tiny spark, a little dusk and poof fire!
You need more volts than amps to make a spark normally would need to be a recurring spark to create ignition on stuff thats electrically shielded like any electrical units should be. Have you had any storms or anything recently, with an anti surge adapter in place, as some damage may of occurred in the PSU and this was just the icing on the cake.
Old 25-09-14, 10:21 PM
Bettyswollocks

Yike's! This is only the second Optical drive I've seen that's done this in the last 6 years, and that was a el cheapo generic made in china drive which overloaded on the molex connection.
Old 25-09-14, 10:25 PM

No thunder storms I know of and defo had no electric cuts as I have not had to reset cooker time clock etc like I would have to if we lost electric.
Just wanted to try and get to the bottom of it in case its a hardware fault and it happens to someone else. Family all fine thanks just lucky missus noticed it in time.
Worse of all it has killed the two hard drives with my important stuff on but the 3rd hard drive with crap on is ok. sods law I think
Old 25-09-14, 10:27 PM
Bettyswollocks

You could take it down to your local Fire station and ask if they can see the ignition point?