Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-04-19, 09:14 PM
Ov3erclock3R Ov3erclock3R is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Buckinghamsire
Posts: 92
Help with x58 upgrade, advice please for a good 2k experience!

Hey people im after some advice please, i have an x58 system that i want to upgrade but don't want to spend the 2.5k i originally wanted to for a whole new system so i thought a new case, monitor and gfx would do it as im a frequent casual user not hardcore gamer.

My choice would be,

Asus rog swift 1440p monitor

Rtx 2080

Should i go for a 2080 ti ? or is there a better monitor ? I play game likes Arma, fifa and will play some racing sims and pugb and probably a few more once upgraded, at the same time i want a good 1440 by 2560 experience.

Cheers people Adam.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-19, 09:18 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,897
Are you still using the I7 950? If so get one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Xeo...MAAOSwPCVX4D~J

Clock it as high as you can, it will still perform admirably. Make sure you have 16gb (or min 12) so you can run all games, then you should be fine with the 2080 providing it doesn't throw a spaz on your chipset because I doubt Asus have made sure it all runs properly on that board.

RTX 2070 is more than enough for 1440p also, especially if you are not wanting to crank the RT.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-19, 09:23 PM
Ov3erclock3R Ov3erclock3R is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Buckinghamsire
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Are you still using the I7 950? If so get one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Xeo...MAAOSwPCVX4D~J

Clock it as high as you can, it will still perform admirably. Make sure you have 16gb (or min 12) so you can run all games, then you should be fine with the 2080 providing it doesn't throw a spaz on your chipset because I doubt Asus have made sure it all runs properly on that board.

RTX 2070 is more than enough for 1440p also, especially if you are not wanting to crank the RT.
Hi, yes i brought one for about £20 and running at 4.5ghz with 12gb of ram

**now im worried in case the gfx card won't work with my mobo :/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-19, 09:28 PM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,458
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16784449

Probably okay I guess (2080Ti on Sabertooth X58).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-19, 09:28 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,897
You can always return it dude. Just don't order the monitor yet
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-19, 09:33 PM
Ov3erclock3R Ov3erclock3R is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Buckinghamsire
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
You can always return it dude. Just don't order the monitor yet
I didn't think i would be able to return it for that, any advice on which 2080 to get ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-04-19, 09:40 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ov3erclock3R View Post
I didn't think i would be able to return it for that, any advice on which 2080 to get ?
haha none as you can probably guess, I am not a fan of Turing.

Jokes aside you get 7, or 14 days where you can return for no reason whatsoever. You will have to pay the return shipping though.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-g...gx-350-ms.html

I like that one. Not too flashy and stupid, and a reasonably acceptable price (sorta kinda).
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-04-19, 09:46 PM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,458
Since 2015 UK consumer rights for goods bought online gives you 14 days after purchase to cancel the order and a further 14 days (28 after purchase) to return (most types of) goods back for a full refund (including original postage, but not return postage) even if there's no fault, this is a legal right to "change your mind" when purchasing from any online UK store.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-19, 09:58 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Since 2015 UK consumer rights for goods bought online gives you 14 days after purchase to cancel the order and a further 14 days (28 after purchase) to return (most types of) goods back for a full refund (including original postage, but not return postage) even if there's no fault, this is a legal right to "change your mind" when purchasing from any online UK store.
Ta. Yeah I couldn't remember exactly how long it was, but the law was designed for people with buyer's remorse. You can expect that to be scrapped though tbh if we leave the EU. Mostly because people exploit it and take the wee. I've seen people go through about 8 monitors because they are so picky, and each time the monitor that goes back cannot be resold as new unless it is sealed. So it ends up hurting every one, because prices go up.

Plus the UK are notorious for being dodgy rip off merchants lol.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 04:43 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.