Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 22-08-17, 06:48 PM
The Guvnor

AMD RX Vega 64 and Vega 56 Review

The latest generation of AMD graphics cards is upon us and we put them to the test to discover if they can challenge nVidia in the way that Ryzen challenged Intel.

AMD RX Vega 64 and Vega 56 Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 22-08-17, 07:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Great vid, Really miffed at AMD about this, I wanted a full AMD rig i.e CPU+GPU but the lack of power and over the top power draw have killed all fancy of getting a Vega 64 card

Ryzen was a pure win, Fantastic product, Vega is...well...a big fat fail.

As a side note I did a test on the rig I'm currently using, 1800X overclocked to 4GHz, 16GB 3200MHz, 1080 Ti Strix overclocked to 2050/6000, All fans at full and the max I saw was 450 watts, Briefly, Very disappointing to see such terrible power draw from AMD.
Old 22-08-17, 07:45 PM

It really paid off reviewing this a little later, im glad you said what needed to be said about the crappy pricing making it noncompetitive.
Old 22-08-17, 08:03 PM
OC3D Crew

AMD just struck gold for nVidia. All those people that have been waiting for Vega will now go and buy nVidia cards.

Just complete and utter fail from AMD. If the mining hasn't gone up just before the launch of Vega I really think that AMD graphic division would go bankrupt.

I don't think they can continue like this for much longer. This is their 4th generation of cards that is demolished buy the green team, and the Volta is coming. nVidia will now just refine manufacturing process and continue to rule. In the past AMD offered good budget option, but now they are more expensive, they use 2x more power, they heat up like furnaces, and they offer roughly the same performance. Who in the right mind would buy Vega (apart from the pathological fanboys)?
Old 22-08-17, 09:02 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm glad I bought a GTX 1080 when I did

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 22-08-17, 09:10 PM

It just puts AMD behind a bit again, that's all.

It's better than where they were I guess. They do now have an upper tear set of cards. But who will pick these up with the increased power draw and heat? Especially with inflated pricing. It just doesn't line up well on the shelf.

I waited, and waited, and waited, then I bought a 1080.

Hopefully the AIBs can do a bit of fun stuff to the boards and come out with some wins.

No pressure on Nvidia to release the Volta consumer adaptations if AMD's best can't get up to the level of last year's cards. Pascal may be it for the next 6-12 months. That's OK I guess. Maxwell/Pascal is a nice and stable platform for nvidia and AMD can use the time to polish their drivers and software.
Old 22-08-17, 09:39 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

AMD has started designing things without power consumption in mind. If you stick a waterblock on it and touch up the bios so the max power draw is much higher you would get amazing results, however that's not the point, it basically got raped by the nvidia cards.
Also about that pricing scheme... Why did you do that AMD?!?
Btw I think that the leaders of the RADEON technologies haven't changed in YEARS, I think since cgn 1.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 22-08-17, 11:35 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
AMD has started designing things without power consumption in mind. If you stick a waterblock on it and touch up the bios so the max power draw is much higher you would get amazing results, however that's not the point, it basically got raped by the nvidia cards.
Also about that pricing scheme... Why did you do that AMD?!?
Btw I think that the leaders of the RADEON technologies haven't changed in YEARS, I think since cgn 1.0
Pretty naive to say honestly. Polaris was a massive step towards lower power consumption. It's not that they don't care, it's just they are so far behind in R&D for there GPU development they cannot compete.

Besides if they didn't care, then explain why Zen is so damn efficient to the point it is extremely close to intel?
Old 23-08-17, 12:36 AM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Besides if they didn't care, then explain why Zen is so damn efficient to the point it is extremely close to intel?
AMD has more in development with CPUs than with GPUs, and it doesn't help that they can't seem to make their mind up on whether or not to have AMD, ATI, Radeon, ATI, Radeon Technologies Group or simply just AMD. It's all a bit confusing.

It's the 290X vs 780/Titan all over again, as Tom said in the video and I can't disagree with the points made it's 2 years too late, too power hungry (doesn't matter about past Polaris announcements or claims of performance per watt it's already failed), too noisy and way too expensive when compared to NVIDIAs offerings. I sincerely hope that AMD do something with the current pricing because as it stands future AIBs are going to sit on shelves gathering dust while team green units continue to fly out.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 23-08-17, 06:13 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
AMD has more in development with CPUs than with GPUs, and it doesn't help that they can't seem to make their mind up on whether or not to have AMD, ATI, Radeon, ATI, Radeon Technologies Group or simply just AMD. It's all a bit confusing.

It's the 290X vs 780/Titan all over again, as Tom said in the video and I can't disagree with the points made it's 2 years too late, too power hungry (doesn't matter about past Polaris announcements or claims of performance per watt it's already failed), too noisy and way too expensive when compared to NVIDIAs offerings. I sincerely hope that AMD do something with the current pricing because as it stands future AIBs are going to sit on shelves gathering dust while team green units continue to fly out.
This is exactly my point. All the R&D went to Zen as well as the top engineers. So saying AMD has started designing products without a care for power consumption is just false and naive. Zen and Polaris(which is relevant in this argument whether you think or not) are very efficient and MASSIVE steps towards efficiency. Vega however was never going to be. Again lack of money and top talent, in order to keep up with Nvidia(we knew it wouldn't be a 1080ti killer) they had to throw out all the performance they can and it's still only a 1080 challenger. Power consumption considering it's better than a Fury X, is pretty good. However in the face of opposition who is so far away and ahead, it is not good.

I'm not saying Vega is awesome everyone go buy it. However I do think it's just naive to go saying AMD doesn't care about xyz blah blah. They've come a long way and are on the right track. CPU business is boomin' and next up is the GPU side of things. They just need time. They were going bankrupt, Su has turned this company around with time. Few more years and it'll be much better.

I think what AMD need to realize is right now if they think they can't compete with Nvidia in the high end, they need to design a super cheap powerful chip without all that extra unneeded crap(HBM/interposer/etc) and stick with GDDR5 and make something that Nvidia can't beat at a $300 price point and just stick to that market. No sense in playing with the big dogs if you're just a tiny mut. They should take what Nvidia will give them and focus on what matters and just plan ahead. Delay Navi if need be, they need something uber powerful. But they need power consumption to come down. There is no if or butts about it.

My current gripe with AMD is for GPUs, they tend to go ALL OUT on new tech that is to expensive when they don't have the architecture to back it up. Makes there stuff take way to long to release and expensive with low profit margins(terrible way to beat Nvidia) and makes drivers more complex.