Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Asus UK Customer Care Forums

Old 13-07-17, 07:04 PM

another noob question regarding asus strix b350

Quote:
*5 When a SATA / PCIE mode M.2 device is installed, the M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports.
*6 When a SATA mode M.2 device is installed, the M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports
when there is written in the manual that SATA 5&6 share bandwith with the M.2 slot that means i can either have sata 5&6 enable or M.2.... but not both? i guess i misunderstood that and really thought they "share bandwith". but now that i have installed my M.2 i noticed that drives connected to sata 5&6 are not recognized. neither in the bios nor in windows.

i guess i had better bought the strix x370..... would the strix x370 give me 6 usable (of the 8) SATA ports + M.2?

Old 14-07-17, 02:00 PM

hello? anyone an idea?

i just would like to know if this is normal or not.

i am not native english but i understand under share bandwith something different than disabling the ports when a M.2 is used.

if that is the normal behavior asus should write "when a m.2 ssd is used the ports 5/6 are disabled".
Old 14-07-17, 02:07 PM
The Guvnor

Some share the bandwidth some disable sata 5&6

Either way it is effected

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 14-07-17, 02:27 PM

??

i thought this is the offical asus UK support forum.

can i get a straight answer for my question?

so again my question is:

now that i have installed my M.2 i noticed that drives connected to sata 5&6 are not recognized.
neither in the bios nor in windows.

i just would like to know if this is normal or not?

"share bandwith" does not mean in my, admited bad, english that it will be completely disabled.
so i would like to know if my board is defective.

i also asked asus germany but they are clueless as it seems.
all i got back is the question if i use a RYZEN cpu on the STRIX B350.....

i mean i am kind of an AMD noob and this is my first complete new build since 2013.
but sure someone working for asus support in the UK or germany should be able to answer my question?
Old 24-07-17, 12:44 PM

ok so thx for nothing.... but at least i will give you the info i got.

it is indeed the case that using the M.2 will DISABLE sata 5/6 (not share bandwith).
asus germany told me this was lost in translation and will changed on the website.
don´t know if this will be made clearer on the english website too.

ps:

i guess for reviewers it is more important to report about 3-5% changes in artificial benchmarks or if a chipset cover has RGB lighting then talking about such stuff that really affects people. //sarcasm off
Old 24-07-17, 01:38 PM
OC3D Crew

How many people use more than 3-4 drives? And one of those is the M.2
Its a B chipset = not the expensive one = Don't expect it to be top notch

(i have an OS SSD, a game SSD and a mechanical drive. there is less than 200GB on my 2TB mechanical, so i'm getting closer and closer to get rid of it )
Old 24-07-17, 07:08 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post

i guess for reviewers it is more important to report about 3-5% changes in artificial benchmarks or if a chipset cover has RGB lighting then talking about such stuff that really affects people. //sarcasm off
TTL is not here to be a company representative or answer each and every comment made, you need to understand that we are a busy forum and if you don't get a reply it's either because we don't know or the rep is busy. Patients is a virtue.
Old 24-07-17, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
TTL is not here to be a company representative or answer each and every comment made, you need to understand that we are a busy forum and if you don't get a reply it's either because we don't know or the rep is busy. Patients is a virtue.

well maybe i misunderstood something.

i thought "Asus UK's official customer care forums" means that there are officals from asus here to support users.

and busy... ok. but then its over 10 days since i ask that question.

anyway... i think im a bit grumpy because there is hardly a youtuber/blogger who reports such things.
but they are all eager to give you the latest meaningless benchmarks.

i mean honestly do you care if a mainboard has 3-5% better or worse performance?
in 30+ years i never made a motherboard purchase decision based on such marginal differences.
yet every youtube and his grandmother will not stop about posting benchmarks.

maybe i am in a minority but such things as what i asked here are more important to me.
and it would be nice if such things are included into a mainboard "review".... not just benchmarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korreborg View Post
How many people use more than 3-4 drives? And one of those is the M.2
Its a B chipset = not the expensive one = Don't expect it to be top notch

i know that and you are right.

but i tried to inform myself prior to buying.... just the info i got from asus PR was misleading.

and is it really only an issue of the B350?

or will x370 boards disable SATA ports too when M.2 is used?

by the way:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Mainbo...-SATA-1233969/

google translation:

https://translate.google.com/transla...ATA-1233969%2F

i guess that´s a reaction of my (and other peoples) communication with asus & AMD.

don´t you think that some reviewers should have mentioned that in their B350 reviews?
maybe i just watch the wrong channels.... but i did not hear anything from youtuber/bloggers about this.
Old 25-07-17, 07:38 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
i mean honestly do you care if a mainboard has 3-5% better or worse performance?
in 30+ years i never made a motherboard purchase decision based on such marginal differences.
But if you don't test the boards, you won't discover if the board is good or bad
Old 25-07-17, 08:02 AM
OC3D Elite

I think this is all getting out of perspective as far as reviewing products is concerned.

Reviews need to be of a finite length or people will lose interest (who wants to watch a 6 hour video) and there will not be enough hours in the day for reviewers like TTL to get much else done. To do this the reviewer must limit themselves to the most important points like cooling, performance, layout, power delivery, colour scheme, ease of installing etc.

As to whether 3% to 5% performance difference is important the answer is yes if you use boards like the Asus Rampage Extreme where that is the reason you pay the high asking price.

The golden rule when looking at a review is don't, you should view as many reviews as possible if you are looking to purchase that piece of hardware. All reviewers have their priorities which differ from site to site but between them you should be able to get most of the info you need.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.