Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Asus UK Customer Care Forums

Old 03-12-17, 02:30 PM
Average Penis Too

Crosshair VI Q-code 8 Orange LED

Lately my system has been randomly crashing quite frequently. As the title says, the system will freeze, and the motherboard will display q-code 8 with the orange LED on, which indicates a RAM problem.

At first, it only happened when I set my memory to 3200MHz. When I downclocked to 3066 it seemed to be fine for a few months. But lately, it started happening again. Yesterday, I downclocked even further to 2933MHz, but it still happens. I'll be playing a game for a few hours, and everything seems fine. Then, all of a sudden, the PC will crash.

Is there anything I can do about it? I just tried upping the DRAM voltage to 1.4v, but I haven't been able to test if that works yet. I also heard that increasing the SOC voltage to 1.2v might help, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm using Corsair LPX memory. It's a 2x8GB kit with rated speeds of 3200MHz with CL16. I'm also running the latest BIOS (1701).

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 03-12-17, 05:15 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Try upping the SOC a little bit first
Old 03-12-17, 05:31 PM
Average Penis Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Try upping the SOC a little bit first
Cheers! I've set the SOC voltage to 1.125v for now. If it still crashes, I'll try 1.15. I'm also still running my DRAM at 1.4v @ 2933MHz, which should be fine. If it crashes again, I'll let you guys know.

Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 03-12-17, 06:35 PM
AMD Enthusiast

If it happens again even with voltage increases I'd say something hardware wise is a problem
Old 03-12-17, 06:58 PM
Average Penis Too

The voltage at 1.125v seemingly makes Rainbow Six Siege crash. I'll try 1.15v.

EDIT: it happens at 1.15v, too. I'll try going back to auto and see how stable it is with just the increased DRAM voltage.

EDIT2: still happens. Either I messed my board up by marginally increasing the SOC voltage (which I doubt), it was bad in the first place or somehow my game install is messed up now.

EDIT3: It doesn't happen in DOOM. Rainbow Six Siege might be to blame for this one. I'll try again tomorrow.

Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 03-12-17, 08:25 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I would try playing a lot of games that are CPU/Memory intensive to see if it can be a problem. Civ/Total War/ or a heavily modded Skyrim would be good choices.
Old 03-12-17, 09:48 PM
Resident Newb

I actually got he same Q-Code on my CH6 but got no actual problems, the Q-Code stayed at 24 once I upped my memory voltage ever so slightly.

Old 04-12-17, 05:24 AM
Average Penis Too

Cheers guys. I'll try a few of those games. I do recall it crashing with Civilization V, but it's never happened with Skyrim + a lot of mods weirdly enough.

I also found a possible fix on the ROG Forums. In the BIOS there's a thing called 'DRAM Current Capacity'. Basically, when the RAM reaches 100% of the maximum current, the system will shut off. The dude on the forums increased it to the maximum of 130%, but I set it to 110% for now. Will report back when I know more.

Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 04-12-17, 09:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Skyrim hardly touches the CPU mate that's why.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 04-12-17, 02:10 PM
Average Penis Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Skyrim hardly touches the CPU mate that's why.
Seems logical, thanks!

I've just updated the BIOS to a beta version with AGESA 1007 (0030), and Siege has stopped crashing. Funnily enough switching to an unstable BIOS fixed some stability issues for me. I haven't been able to get it to crash again, but I'll be trying that today.

Nr. #00 (Club Owner)