Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 25-12-13, 02:50 PM

hi all, there was a lot of bs in that video, but the one that killed me was the soundcard's shielding:

it doesn't work because it has holes on it?

people who consider themselves tech savvy (and give advise on youtube) should at least know about the faraday cage

Old 25-12-13, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikk View Post
hi all, there was a lot of bs in that video, but the one that killed me was the soundcard's shielding:

it doesn't work because it has holes on it?

people who consider themselves tech savvy (and give advise on youtube) should at least know about the faraday cage
TBH I don't know if the shielding on a soundcard works or not. But I honestly don't think the rules of the Faraday cage apply in this case. First the shielding is only on one side. So it's not a "closed cage" if you will. Secondly the holes, or the parts that are not shielded, are to big for the effect to apply.

The more I research about that topic, the more I would like to take part in a real blind test under scientific conditions. Wich will of course never happen . And I'm really not the guy that orders like 5 different pieces of kit and return all but the one I think is best.

The STX is tempting me, but I'm not sure yet.
Old 26-12-13, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
TBH I don't know if the shielding on a soundcard works or not. But I honestly don't think the rules of the Faraday cage apply in this case. First the shielding is only on one side. So it's not a "closed cage" if you will. Secondly the holes, or the parts that are not shielded, are to big for the effect to apply.
these may be valid reasons why an em shield would not work.
that it would not work just because you can see through it is not a valid reason, that's what i'm trying to say.

p.s. happy Xmas to all
Old 26-12-13, 09:47 AM
OC3D Elite

With the Faraday cage, the maximum hole size is determined by the frequency/wavelength of the interference, so you can't just say they're too big without demonstrating it.

Large Faraday cages used to house electrical equipment can have holes in the size of golf balls, whereas with other applications the holes may have to be much smaller because of the different EM radiation involved. Take a microwave for example, the metal mesh on the window has small holes you can see through yet your head isn't irradiated by microwaves when you stick your face up to the window to watch your ready meal spinning round.

Despite it visibly only being on one side of the soundcard, there may be an equivalent protection mechanism on the PCB. A grid of crossed PCB tracks on the back would complete the Faraday cage (just spitballing here). Even if not, it's a lot more protection than otherwise.

Old 31-12-13, 07:36 PM

I can't understand how people can say they are wrong in the video without watching it first. When you cut people down it means it's all you've got and you've nothing more constructive to say. I'm sure TTL gets this a lot with his videos. You watch the video first and then you rip them apart. Is it true what they said about high output impedance with sound cards? Instead of having a faraday cage around the soundcard wouldn't it not be better to have the DAC outside the case like they suggest in the video? The front jack has more noise. Is that true? Is it true what tyler says about doing an AB test? That it will show soundcards sound the "same if not worse" than what's on the MB. I'm not an expert in audio hardware but, I like to hear both sides of the issue. It's why I come to this website and subscribe to TTL youtube video's. Showing lame videos of Logan's past at Tiger adds nothing to the debate.
Old 31-12-13, 09:26 PM
OC3D Crew

Hi nuke , I did watch the whole video to the very end.
And I'm no audio expert either but...
To me it sounds more like an informercial (without naming names or manufacturers) for this guys external DAC's.
I think the whole debate is what sounds better ? onboard sound vs soundcard , onboard sound vs external DAC or (Quality) soundcard vs external DAC ?
Let me start by saying I have never had a external DAC , so I can't comment on those.
Now I know onboard sound is getting better , but a good quality soundcard will sound much better than all onboard .
As most people here will tell you , get a Asus Xonar Essence STX and compare it to onboard. I could definitely tell the difference.
Also , I have front panel audio connected to my soundcard and when I have my Bose IE2 earbuds I don't hear any static or any other noise besides what audio I'm listening to.

I hope some of this helps you.

Happy New Year
Corsair 650D, MSI Z77A-GD65 , I7-3770k, Corsair H100i w/sp120 QE ,G.Skill Ares 16gb 2133 c9, Asus Blu-Ray Burner, Asus Xonar STX ,Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb ,W.D. black 1TB ,Seagate 3TB, MSI GTX 680 Lightning, Corsair AX760i ,Case Fans : Front : CM 200 blue,Rear : Corsair AF 120 PE , Klipsch 2.1 , Sennheiser HD650 , 2 x Samsung 23" 1080p , Logitech G710+
Old 31-12-13, 09:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Most gaming audio files are only 128bit stream, so you will notice very little to no difference. What makes sound cards superior to most on board is how loud they can go before distortion. Most audio cards (even cheap ones) if you are wanting to really blast your game a sound card in most instances will perform better. When it comes to music and FLAC files 512bit streams etc. an STX Xonar will blow away ANY on board audio, especially the 600ohm AMP that is inside for those headphone users.
Old 02-01-14, 08:10 PM
OC3D Elite

More fuel for the fire

NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 03-01-14, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
More fuel for the fire

thats true
Here comes the fire

They did a blind A B test in this vid but bouth of them have have damaged there
ears ( they said it thereselfs). And they couldn't here the difference but i can
this is probably because i have a verry good hearing and a good setup (amp/ dac/headphones).
Flac also reduces the chance on distortion and mp3 by defenition loses a part
of the info (flac 512kbps / mp3 320kbps) this doesnt mean mp3 cuts off the
parts we can't hear (the botom and the top of the spectrum)= flac is better.
But unnecessary to enjoy your favorite music.
these are my thoughts on this feel free to disagree

about the tube amps one thing : !!PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!
Old 03-01-14, 11:56 AM
OC3D Elite

Now what I'm curious about is, he said that the human ears can only hear up to roughly 20Khz and anything beyond that you can't hear it. Is this the same thing as with the human eye can't see past 24/30fps yet a game running at 60+fps is clearly better/smoother?