Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 23-03-20, 01:51 PM
News Guru

AMD's Zen 3 and Radeon RDNA 2 products are reportedly due to release this October

Is AMD planning another simultaneous CPU/GPU release?

Read more about AMD's rumoured Zen 3 and RDNA 2 release plans.

Old 23-03-20, 02:11 PM
Old N Gold

What with the COVID-19 virus causing so much disruption in the marketplace, I'd be surprised if they can get these out by October simultaneously. If they do, it could be a soft launch with motherboard and AIB partners being well behind in releasing supporting variants. Factories across Asia have been hit massively by the Corovirus. Although counties like Taiwan have handled the virus better than anyone, it's still impacted production.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 23-03-20, 02:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
What with the COVID-19 virus causing so much disruption in the marketplace, I'd be surprised if they can get these out by October simultaneously. If they do, it could be a soft launch with motherboard and AIB partners being well behind in releasing supporting variants. Factories across Asia have been hit massively by the Corovirus. Although counties like Taiwan have handled the virus better than anyone, it's still impacted production.
Tape-out for silicon usaully occurs about 18 months before launch, so as with the consoles the initial stages of production should have already been in motion long before the coronavirus stuff, so again I think this will be more a matter of how much stock is available. In terms of actually meeting the dates with *something* things *should* be okay assuming we don't have any major 2nd or 3rd peaks.
Old 23-03-20, 02:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Corona doesn't really affect paper launches, which are nowadays pretty much the norm.
Old 23-03-20, 02:54 PM
OC3D Elite

It's usually summer and stock usually arrives toward October.

Will have to see what happens I suppose.

Old 24-03-20, 09:41 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Tape-out for silicon usaully occurs about 18 months before launch, so as with the consoles the initial stages of production should have already been in motion long before the coronavirus stuff, so again I think this will be more a matter of how much stock is available. In terms of actually meeting the dates with *something* things *should* be okay assuming we don't have any major 2nd or 3rd peaks.
But that doesn't contradict my point about it being a soft launch, if that's the right term. Motherboard manufacturers are struggling to maintain production. It's not so much the silicon manufacturers, which as you say is likely in full production already, but rather the AIB partners. Everything from shipping to labelling to advertising all could be hit.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 24-03-20, 10:37 PM
Resident Newb

As I have the 3950X I think I'm good on the CPU front for a while and although the 5700XT is a damn good card I could do with a bit more grunt so I think that the 5950XT will be my only BIG buy for the rest of the year.

Old 24-03-20, 10:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
But that doesn't contradict my point about it being a soft launch, if that's the right term. Motherboard manufacturers are struggling to maintain production. It's not so much the silicon manufacturers, which as you say is likely in full production already, but rather the AIB partners. Everything from shipping to labelling to advertising all could be hit.
I guess it's not much like AMD to wait for their AIB partners to be ready anyway, but yeah I agree there's a good chance these could end up paper launches, even if ideally they wouldn't have been.