Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 15-01-20, 01:58 PM
OC3D Crew

Custom Loop Cleaning

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well!

I'm looking to clean my loop soon and the thought of stripping it apart has made me delay cleaning for a long time.

I wondered if any of you had any experience with the loop cleaners than you run through the loop whilst it is assembled and if so if they are recommended?

Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 15-01-20, 02:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Don't run them. They are bad, full of acid and other bad chemicals.

Just drain it, take it apart and clean it yourself using white distilled vinegar. I mean hell, you could theoretically run the rig with Vinegar (no power to the parts) and then flush it out with a couple of litres of distilled water after.

If the hoses are clear and dirty inside then just buy new hose, providing of course you use hose and not hard tubing.

Why do you think I went with black hose lol? the only place you can see coolant in my rig is the 100mm res.

Old 15-01-20, 02:08 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

Just drain it, take it apart and clean it yourself using white distilled vinegar. I mean hell, you could theoretically run the rig with Vinegar (no power to the parts) and then flush it out with a couple of litres of distilled water after.

If the hoses are clear and dirty inside then just buy new hose, providing of course you use hose and not hard tubing.

Why do you think I went with black hose lol? the only place you can see coolant in my rig is the 100mm res.
Looks like i'll have to do it the proper way. Thanks.
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 15-01-20, 02:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Exactly this. Far better and more efficient in my eyes to throw in a little elbow grease. Strip the components and clean them. Even rinse the fittings in the same vinegar solution. I even open up each block and clean them out running a razorblade or scalpel through the vanes of the block to remove any build up that may form inbetween.
Old 15-01-20, 03:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Tooth brushes are great too for fins

Old 15-01-20, 03:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Tooth brushes are great too for fins
Always forget to buy one. The spare ones i have, are all used and contaminated with all sorts of cleaning substances
Old 15-01-20, 03:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Always forget to buy one. The spare ones i have, are all used and contaminated with all sorts of cleaning substances
I have some anti static brushes that are fabulous for really scrubbing as the bristles are proper hard lol.

The only thing I get with EC6 after around 18 months is this greasy, fatty residue. After getting a mouthful the other night I would swear it's propelene glycol and possibly vegetable glycerin, which would explain the greasy residue as it separates.

I'd still take it over anything toxic any day.

Old 15-01-20, 03:28 PM
OC3D Crew

Thanks for the tips all

Old 16-01-20, 07:11 AM
OC3D Crew

Wouldn’t use vinegar or anything acidic or alkaline unless absolutely necessary. In 7 years, I’ve only ever needed hot tap water to clean out some residual plasticiser from the jet plates of my blocks. Not had slime or greasy residue to contend with, though I’m happily using toxic ethylene glycol as it does the job so perfectly. No algae, no corrosion and no problems in 7 years and in that time, I’ve only flushed the system and replaced all the coolant once. I usually just drain it into a jug then filter it back in when I make changes in order to maximise the lifespan of the coolant (5 year life which I want to test)