Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 26-04-20, 02:04 PM
OC3D Elite

I know the exact details are embargoed but do you feel these B550 boards going to slot into similar price points as the 450's?

Some of my contracts have been put on hold for now so I can't "splash out" until we're on the other side of lockdown, though I'm happy paying extra for the motherboard now.

I was considering the 1600AF(A seemingly rebadged 2600) over the 3100 since my software development work relies a lot on VMs, and my PCB design toolchain relies on a fair few applications simultaneously. Game performance is nice but not a priority, so I guess I'll wait for reviews on that one.

Edit: @AlienALX Yeah I made sure to select the AF models, CCL are the only company I could see specifying them

Edit2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
It could lower the price of the Ryzen 5 1600 or the prices of B450.
Only just saw this, fair point

Old 26-04-20, 08:47 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
I know the exact details are embargoed but do you feel these B550 boards going to slot into similar price points as the 450's?

Some of my contracts have been put on hold for now so I can't "splash out" until we're on the other side of lockdown, though I'm happy paying extra for the motherboard now.

I was considering the 1600AF(A seemingly rebadged 2600) over the 3100 since my software development work relies a lot on VMs, and my PCB design toolchain relies on a fair few applications simultaneously. Game performance is nice but not a priority, so I guess I'll wait for reviews on that one.

Edit: @AlienALX Yeah I made sure to select the AF models, CCL are the only company I could see specifying them

Edit2:

Only just saw this, fair point
Some details are embargoed ATM for B550 etc. Should be a few weeks for the new Ryzen reviews.

I'd wait for reviews on this. Not sure about your specific workload, but B550 will have an impact on the market.
Old 26-04-20, 09:37 PM
OC3D Elite

The only impact I see B550 having is that B450 boards will just be discontinued.

I can't see the prices dropping too much, in fact they may rise initially (as it's new) and it does nothing B450 doesn't apart from PCIE gen 4 (a total waste of time on that chipset, IMO).

Old 27-04-20, 12:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
The only impact I see B550 having is that B450 boards will just be discontinued.

I can't see the prices dropping too much, in fact they may rise initially (as it's new) and it does nothing B450 doesn't apart from PCIE gen 4 (a total waste of time on that chipset, IMO).
Yeah with the rapidly rising prices of RAM in particular, but also electronics in general, this was my concern. It seems like a risk either way. So many discontinued items are selling for wayyy more than their RRP now in these condittions.
Old 27-04-20, 02:02 PM
OC3D Elite

In short, 1600AF.

In long? it's very easy to calculate the performance of AMD's forthcoming chips by using simple maths with the 3600.

If you are using VMware then obviously more cores no matter how fast they are will work much better. You can't magic up cores for VMs that simply aren't there.

That's why I used to buy slow clock Xeons all of the time. I can not run 4 4c 4t VMs on an 8 core CPU. Hence the 16.