Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 04-08-14, 03:07 AM

Asus SupremeFX Impact II or other solution?

I am planning to get rid of my rig (see signature) to buy a new mITX build. The problem is that I am using Beyerdynamics DT770 with my X-Fi Titanium soundcard and I really want to keep this soundquality. What should I do now?

My new case will be the Carbide Air 240 which can fit both, mITX or uATX.

I have several options now:

1) Get uATX and new proper soundcard
2) Get an external device like FiiO Olympus E10 (Something with Line in for the mic would be good aswell but I think you get what I mean)
3) Buy an Asus Maximus Gene VII with the SupremeFX Impact II which supports up to 600 Ohm headphones. How good are they compared to my X-Fi Titanium or an Asus Xonar Card?

What do you think?

My new rig will have a 27" 1440p monitor aswell so I am really in ty situation right now

Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (b) Mouse: Logitech G700
Sound: Creative X-FI Titanium
Old 22-09-14, 08:31 AM

I was in the same situation--loved the design of 380t, but needed good audio as well.

For the sake of 380t's looks, I wanted to go for USB soundcards, but as far as I know, internal sound cards perform a bit better than external USB ones(not saying about expensive audiophile grade, but only those from ASUS and Creative). I also needed virtual surround features from my card, so didn't look for external DAC/AMP solution without these features.
The quality of SupremeFX II is comparable to ASUS Xonar DGX in terms of quality, however DGX will still perform better in some situations--I contacted JJ from ASUS and he himself told me this.

So, looked at Air240 for its M-ATX support for internal s-card.

For the sound quality tests against your X-Fi Titanium, I suggest you watch the videos of FrekeOne on YouTube. He has several videos on the sound quality of different sound cards. From my personal preference, I liked the sound signature of SBX Pro Studio the most.

I would say----go M-ATX with a different mobo which is less expensive and add SoundBlaster Z internal card. For the same price of Maximus Gene VII, you can have a good board with dedicated sound card.