Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-14, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

More Business Leaders suggest Britain should exit EU

Quote:
The boss of one of the UK’s biggest companies has said Britain should leave the European Union if it cannot renegotiate a better deal with Brussels.

Dr Nigel Wilson, chief executive of insurance giant Legal & General, became the first boss of a FTSE 100 company to publicly suggest quitting the EU. He said the UK economy is ‘underachieving’ by focusing too much on Europe rather than faster growing markets.

He told the Mail: ‘Leaving the EU would not be as disastrous a scenario as some people have painted it as.
‘If we get a terrible deal we should stay out. I see the world as a huge opportunity for the UK but we are underachieving by concentrating on Europe, which is growing too slowly. This will not lead to economic growth in the UK.’

Legal & General is also a major investor in infrastructure projects. Dr Wilson yesterday complained that his firm has wasted £150million on complying with one European directive called Solvency II, which is making it more expensive for insurance companies to invest in infrastructure.

Last night he received the backing of another influential business leader. Peter Hargreaves, billionaire co-founder of investment and pensions firm Hargreaves Lansdown, said the UK should quit the EU whether a better deal is thrashed out or not. He said businesses are hampered by ‘stupid regulations dreamed up by bureaucrats’.

The intervention suggests growing disquiet with Brussels among big business. Simon Wolfson, boss of Next, and Phones4U’s John Caudwell are among a string of high-profile figures who have called for less intervention from Brussels.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...els-blast.html

The whole issue of renegotiation is a myth peddled by the political class, the major players in the EU have already said no reform is on the table, it's time to leave this soviet style empire.

Old 07-08-14, 04:59 PM
Bettyswollocks

Seriously, more politics? This place is turning into the BBC, anyway all I'm going to say is *Cough* Dailymail! I don't even believe the date in that paper. End of.
Old 07-08-14, 05:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Please... I cant take any more politics... I come here for PC stuff

Old 07-08-14, 05:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Mmmm, lol for linking the daily mail to substantiate the claim.

I think you, along with many others are deluded in what leaving the EU would mean. If we leave there's no free trade, and there's next to no migration.

All your holidays to Europe will be more expensive because of this as would be nearly everything we import.

As I'm sure you're aware there's no trade restrictions at all in countries in the EU and as soon as we leave, everything we import will go up in price, and everything we export will be less competitive in foreign markets so the economy will just lose any advantage we may have.

There just isn't an option to just 'leave' as so many people seem to think. We head back into a recession so quickly (just as Scotland would if they leave us).

However, if we can negotiate deals for free trade before leaving, then it then becomes an option. But, it isn't in the EU's interest to really do that since the EU as a whole is far bigger than the UK.

There's so many industries in the UK that rely so heavily on the EU and free trade to survive and stay competitive in the global markets, and leaving will be detrimental to us all.
Old 07-08-14, 05:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Aren't you the UKIP guy?
Let's go back to medieval times everybody!
Old 07-08-14, 05:24 PM
News Guru

Yeah, leaving the EU isn't a great idea TBH. This is literally the same as when politicians say the NHS isn't cost effective and other such nonsense.

The EU allows us to easily and cheaply trade out goods, if we left lots of companies would leave us. One example is Airbus, manufacturing their A380 is all over Europe, some of which is in the UK, would they manufacture any of it in the UK if there were additional taxes or cost to it? Same applies to many other businesses.

IMHO Government ministers need to be much better informed, honestly how many of them know what they are doing? Is the chancellor of the exchequer an accountant? has the minister of education ran a school? Has the Minister of healthcare worked in a hospital?
Old 07-08-14, 06:40 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcool View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...els-blast.html

The whole issue of renegotiation is a myth peddled by the political class, the major players in the EU have already said no reform is on the table, it's time to leave this soviet style empire.
I think you need to go and educate yourself a little dude, Ever been around the EU ? As in actually left England and traveled ? Because it doesn't look like it.

If you had you would not be supporting the Tory, Excuse me, UKIP leader Nigel Farage.

If the UK left the EU prices would skyrocket for ANYTHING that was imported, Seriously England would become a very expensive place to get anything and seeing as a lot of stuff is imported from the EU expect price rises in the range of 50%+.

The biggest reason and the reason why I've made this bold, The reason why they want out of the EU is this, Without the EU 3 million jobs will be lost in the UK alone and worst of all the minimum wage will be abolished meaning employers can lower their wage from the £6-7 it is now down to £1 if they really wanted to, THAT is one of the main reasons they want out of the EU so the old boys can make more money for themselves.
This is not about making anything better for the people of the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriley94 View Post
There just isn't an option to just 'leave' as so many people seem to think. We head back into a recession so quickly (just as Scotland would if they leave us).
Little bit of misinformation there bud, Who has the most gas, Oil and mines in the UK ? Scotland.

If Scotland left the UK which I hope they do as they are a different country then they would still be very well off as all the money would stay within Scotland instead of going to English companies.

I've been to Scotland and have a lot of Scottish friends and they are some of the best money managers around, when they leave the UK they will be very well off not just because of their management etc... but because of their oil, Gas and mines, Not forgetting to mention a lot of Scotts aren't that keen on the English.

I don't want to get too historical with this but was there a vote for the people when the English took Scotland ? nope they simply planted a flag and killed anyone opposed to the butchers apron i.e Union Jack.

Anyway getting off topic.

UKIP/Racists aren't welcome here.
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 07-08-14, 06:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
UKIP/Racists aren't welcome here.
Yeah, thats notcool jk

Old 07-08-14, 06:48 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Yeah, thats notcool jk
UKIP are racist though, I've been to a few demos in England *Not UKIP* and UKIP usually turn up shouting racist slurs and complete bull and they are all chavs and scum.

Look at the main body of UKIP supporters, They are all what is known as under class, They look like your typical track suit wearing scally with no mind of their own and even less education.
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 07-08-14, 06:58 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd really appreciate it if he'd answer for once. He'd finally be someone i could argue with without having to fear to step on someone's toes.
Closed Thread