Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion

Old 29-07-14, 07:39 AM
OC3D Elite

I was curious after a few people have mentioned it to me but it's £100 for the same HIIT I do pretty much but for a longer period of time (probably too long!).

I took my latest pics last night, really really happy with them, I might put them on here, I didn't realise I was that wide from behind. Arms are at 15" now, still a long way to go but it beats the 12 1/2 they were at.

Old 29-07-14, 07:47 AM

dont worry about arms man, they will grow. i probably train arms once a month... if that, and mine are still 15 inches. just remember, with certain exercises you're working certain muscles indirectly, plus the body grows a unit. i think the ratio is; to gain an inch on the arms you need a gain of around 10lbs of lean mass all over. thats why I always recommend squats when people complain about their arms not growing.

try doing some hammer curls with a kettlbell on your next arm day and see how you get on
Old 29-07-14, 08:12 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmonk View Post
dont worry about arms man, they will grow. i probably train arms once a month... if that, and mine are still 15 inches. just remember, with certain exercises you're working certain muscles indirectly, plus the body grows a unit. i think the ratio is; to gain an inch on the arms you need a gain of around 10lbs of lean mass all over. thats why I always recommend squats when people complain about their arms not growing.

try doing some hammer curls with a kettlbell on your next arm day and see how you get on
I'll have to try that, I've been wanting to get a kettlebell for HIIT, I'll see how much they cost.

Shoulders today, think I'll do Arnold presses, followed by Jay Cutler style front raises (they are pretty hard, you can't go heavy on them) follow up with side laterals then rear delt raises but I think I might try something different for them today.

After that I will train traps, I'll probably do a couple of things for that.

Nice short workout, but it's built up my shoulders a lot, they were always my skinniest weakest part but I've got them a lot thicker now, shape has started appearing now too.

EDIT: I'm also using the Schwarzenegger series supplements now. The vanilla tastes great, mixes very well and isn't too heavy on the stomach. Very impressed with the watermelon creatine as well.

Edit: Just done Tabata, just waiting for my lungs to calm down now lol.
Old 29-07-14, 02:19 PM

Shoulder day and no overhead press? Short work out? Training traps? Lol, you sound the complete opposite to me. On shoulder day I do nothing but OHP. Literally goes like this:

Warm up set 1: bar x 10
Warm up set 2: 30kg x 10
Warm up set 3: 40 x 5
Warm up set 4: 50 x 5
Warm up set 5: 60 x 5
Working set 1: 65 x 5
(Two more working sets)
Hypertrophy set 1: ~50%1RM x 10
(4 more hypertrophy sets)

Total OP reps = 100

Same goes for the other four movements. Possibly some pull ups and dips thrown in on relevant days.

I never train traps. The force of the isometric contractions required on deadlift and squat days kills them like a er so there is no need.

Supplements are pretty pointless mate. All they are is just a gimmick, a con by marketing companies to make you spend money unnecessarily. The only supplements I take are creatine mono and omega 3 soft gels. I dont even use whey any more. You can get everything you need from nutrient dense foods, at a fraction of the cost.
Old 29-07-14, 02:34 PM

"Supplements are pretty pointless mate. All they are is just a gimmick" and then the next line says "I take are creatine mono and omega 3 soft gels" Huh?
My two bits, everyone has an opinion, If you want your arms to grow, yes you need to train them. I trained mine twice a week. I trained Biceps after back, and triceps after chest, and then I had one day a week where it was just arm day. My arms measured 18". I only did the twice a week arm training off and on, just to try and stimulate growth. I do agree that I very rarely ever trained traps. Too big of traps without the width to go with them just doesn't look right. Over time you will find what works for 'you', and advice is to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyones body reacts differently, perfect example my wife, who has crazy genetics, did P90X in an attempt to lose some size and get leaner. In the end she got stronger and bigger, not what she wanted.
Bitfenix Ghost - Asus Z87-Pro- [email protected] - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus GTX 770 OC DCII - Seasonic 860Platinum - Samsung 840Pro 256GB SSD - Samsung EVO 120GB SSD - WD Black 2TB HDD
Old 29-07-14, 03:34 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmonk View Post
Supplements are pretty pointless mate. All they are is just a gimmick, a con by marketing companies to make you spend money unnecessarily. The only supplements I take are creatine mono and omega 3 soft gels. I dont even use whey any more. You can get everything you need from nutrient dense foods, at a fraction of the cost.

Supps I take are creatine and a multi vit and that's it, And that's done me since 2009, I don't consider whey a supp as it's food derived from milk, Has calories and a good nutritional profile plus it's very handy if you can't get a solid meal in
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 30-07-14, 06:52 AM
OC3D Elite

It is a short workout for shoulders but I've never got my shoulders as big as they are now, I've done it all before and shoulder presses with a barbell always result for me in a really agonising left shoulder so I don't do them often, dumbells provide much more comfort for me so I just use them.

I think there are some lies in the protein supp business but I still think they are necessary, unless your getting enough protein through diet then they aren't really useful but having two a day bumps up my intake to what I need. And by lies I mean MyProtein "Amazing Amino Acid Profile!"...well what aminos are in it then? No wonder it's cheap.

I've noticed you do five reps on every set as well, so thats purely strength building, I'm hardly lifting my heaviest now and do most things to 15 reps, 25-30 if it's something like traps which I still belive need training because like calves they are a er to grow. :\

It all comes down to what works best for you.

Thought you all might like this: Made me laugh how he faints and his mate just goes haha. :')

Like this one too!
Old 30-07-14, 02:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Bit late to the party on here I think - I've been lifting for nearly a year now, was often in the gym before that but not really doing anything serious.

As for supplements, I take Creatine and Whey. I tend to take Creatine 2-3 times a day most days unless I forget.

With Protein I'll have a shake as soon as I can after a workout and that's usually it. I'll occasionally have another at some point in the day depending on how well I've eaten that day. As I've seen with people before in this thread, I try to treat them as supplements to meals rather than an alternative to meals or a regime having them at the same time every day.

I mainly just think if you eat alright and have a reasonable workout, you'll get big. Sure some ways will be slightly better, but it probably isn't going to make a huge amount of difference in the grand scheme of things.
Old 30-07-14, 03:03 PM
Resident Newb

Would be awesome if we could all meet up from all over the world and train in an OC3D themed gym together, We could call it "The Clock Lifters"
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 30-07-14, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriley94 View Post
Bit late to the party on here I think - I've been lifting for nearly a year now, was often in the gym before that but not really doing anything serious.

As for supplements, I take Creatine and Whey. I tend to take Creatine 2-3 times a day most days unless I forget.

With Protein I'll have a shake as soon as I can after a workout and that's usually it. I'll occasionally have another at some point in the day depending on how well I've eaten that day. As I've seen with people before in this thread, I try to treat them as supplements to meals rather than an alternative to meals or a regime having them at the same time every day.

I mainly just think if you eat alright and have a reasonable workout, you'll get big. Sure some ways will be slightly better, but it probably isn't going to make a huge amount of difference in the grand scheme of things.
Be very careful with taking Creatine 3x a day. This falls into the category of more is not better, in fact it is dangerous. What dosage are you using per serving? Your kidneys needs to process this stuff and creatine can 'plug' them up. I dont know if Creatine has changed alot over the years but I will share my story. I was taking Creatine 3x a day on workout days and 2x a day on non workout days. Each serving was 5g of Creatine. A routine physical showed that my kidneys were not functioning properly anymore. My Dr. told me to stop immediately and hope that they will flush on their own, which luckily they did. Had I waited longer, who knows what would have happened. My Dr. at the time specialized in sports medicine and was the team Dr. for a number of teams locally. He told me had a number of high school football players that were having serious kidney issues because of creatine. Kids tend to follow the if 5-10g of creatine works well, 20-25g must work even better. Supplements aren't regulated very well, and can be dangerous like any drug if misused. All I am saying is follow directions, learn what the various ingredients do and when you go for a physical exam with your Dr. go in with a list of all the supplements you are taking and they should run specific tests relative to your list.
Bitfenix Ghost - Asus Z87-Pro- [email protected] - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus GTX 770 OC DCII - Seasonic 860Platinum - Samsung 840Pro 256GB SSD - Samsung EVO 120GB SSD - WD Black 2TB HDD