Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Networks & Security

Old 14-07-14, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

New router doesn't work (with pictures)

Hello all,
I just returned home with a new router (Cisco Linksys EA3500), but I cant get a connection from it...

First of all my cable is showing clear sign of connection when it has green LED and orange blinking.

The router is connected to our modem, which looks like this.

During Setup (CD) it says that a cable isnt connected correctly. If I Troubleshoot the connection I get a DNS-error, and it says my connectioned is Limited.

The Router came with the blue cable shown in this picture. However, since our modem does not support these big cables im using the smaller variant. It fits fine into the router, and I dont assume this is the reason for no connection, since the old router worked just fine with it. Because of this im lost as everything is connected correctly, any suggestions?

Old 14-07-14, 06:29 PM
OC3D Elite

try plugging the modem into the internet socket.
Old 14-07-14, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remember300 View Post
try plugging the modem into the internet socket.
I did. Only in the picture wasnt the modem connected.

My modem gets a cable from the wall into the plug called "LINE". A cable from my modem plug called "ADSL" then goes to the routers YELLOW input that says "INTERNET". Last, a cable goes from Port 1 to my PC.

The wall cable goes to the modem which goes to the router which goes to my PC, just like it was with the old router.
Old 14-07-14, 06:36 PM
OC3D Elite

is the router, seeing your pc and just no allowing net through?
or is your pc not seeing it?
Old 14-07-14, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remember300 View Post
is the router, seeing your pc and just no allowing net through?
or is your pc not seeing it?
How do I tell whos seeing who? When the router is plugged in I can log onto it in my browser. I did try to clone my MAC address to it but that didnt make a difference.

My connection simply says "Limited" when using the new router.
Old 14-07-14, 07:59 PM
OC3D Elite

So your able to log on to your router then ?
Old 14-07-14, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

I finally found out why it doesnt work.

I spoke to someone who said that the little white box that I thought was my modem apparently is (directly translated from my language) a "separating filter" and not a modem (no idea if any other country uses this method), which makes sense, and heres why...

I remember having a modem some years ago, it was called a Speedstream and looked like this: MODEM

However this has been replaced by the ISPs new solution which is actually a router with a built-in modem, which explains why it works and the EA3500 doesnt, since the EA3500 doesnt have a built-in modem...

Unfortunately I no longer own the Speedstream modem.

So now I either have to find a way to use my current router with the built-in modem as a MODEM ONLY, but I have no idea if that possible.

If I do have to get a new modem, what should I get? I would like to know if it matters that the router and modem "match" performance wise... I mean if I got a cheap cheap cheap modem, would the EA3500 not be able to "output" its full performance because of a bad modem?
Old 14-07-14, 08:14 PM
OC3D Elite

What cable have you got connecting the modem to the router?

I've never seen a modem working like this to be honest - I could be completely wrong here though, I've always just used modem routers with everything built in to the router itself, but your modem to me looks like an ADSL filter to be honest.

I thought modems converted the analogue signal of ADSL to the digital signal of ethernet?

Are you sure your old router wasn't a modem router?

Edit: Lol, ninja'd - seems I was right though!
Old 14-07-14, 08:28 PM
OC3D Elite

I've seen this "separating filter" thing before. But that was back when I lived in Turkmenistan (never again ). Yeah, you probably need a modem then... Or use the old one and go ethernet
Old 14-07-14, 08:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
I've seen this "separating filter" thing before. But that was back when I lived in Turkmenistan (never again ). Yeah, you probably need a modem then... Or use the old one and go ethernet
We still need ADSL filters in the UK for most homes I think. Depends whether we have a direct cable line into the home I believe.

You'd be best off returning the router and getting an all in one modem router. You'll still need the ADSL filter - you'll need them in every phone socket in your house that has a phone line in as they allow you to make calls and have the broadband active at the same time.