Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 18-12-12, 08:46 PM

Thanks Christoi, I'll check out the other power supplies and different Seagate drive sizes. As for the GPU, I think that model isn't locked. Finally, you raise a good point about the mobo. I plan on adding just the RAM, GPU, CPU and possibly a soundcard so is the UD5H possibly too powerful/ expensive? I may upgrade some of the individual components in the future but not for a few years so would getting a cheaper mobo make any difference to performance for me?

Old 18-12-12, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyt View Post
Finally, you raise a good point about the mobo. I plan on adding just the RAM, GPU, CPU and possibly a soundcard so is the UD5H possibly too powerful/ expensive? I may upgrade some of the individual components in the future but not for a few years so would getting a cheaper mobo make any difference to performance for me?
Well, a motherboard mainly serves the purpose of component compatibility more than anything, so it's usually best to see if the board covers all the features you need. There's nothing particularly wrong with going for the UD5H, but you could save some money getting a cheaper board if all the features aren't needed.

This comparison sheet may give you a better idea of what I mean:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=gigabyte%20z77&bop=And&Co mpareItemList=-1|13-128-544^13-128-544-TS%2C13-128-545^13-128-545-TS
You can see that the UD5H does come with a number of other features, such as more SATA and USB3 ports, third 16x slot being PCI-e 3.0, etc. However, will you actually utilize those ports? If not, then you could consider cheaper alternatives. What you've outlined would be fine with a cheaper unit, in terms of compatibility.
Old 19-12-12, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Do you have any devices that connect via Firewire? If not, that would be a wasted feature. The UD5H has 9 sata ports total, one of which is shared with the eSata port on the back panel. Four of those are Sata 3.0 and the other 5 are sata 2.0

Do you connect wirelessly to the internet or through a cat5 to a modem/router?
Do you really need the two RJ45 connectors? If not, thats another wasted feature.

For those two reasons alone I wouldn't bother spending the extra $75aud to get the UD5H and would recommmend instead that you take a look at the MSI Z77A-GD65. It has 8 Sata ports, 4x3.0 and 4x2.0 and no useless (to me) firewire port.

One cool feature the MSI Z77A-GD65 has is not just digital audio out, but also the genuine RCA interface for S/PDIF.

Did I mention its $75 cheaper? Awesome too. Gets the best reviews of any sub $220 mobo on the market. After buying it I can see why.
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060WF3OC 6GB
Audio: Onboard out to Logitec 6.1
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 700w
Case: Thermaltake Dokker
Old 21-12-12, 03:51 AM

I'd drop the RAM down to 8GB and use the money to get a GTX 670. I had a 7950 and I wasn't too impressed with the performance. Also, the Corsair 500R is cheaply made. I had one and I broke off a leg the first day I owned it. Also, if you get it I would get the black one. The white one scratches very easily. I returned the 500R and got the 550D and I couldn't be happier. Very easy to build in compared to the 500R.
Old 22-12-12, 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the replies. From feedback here and from some knowledgeable friends, (and from what is readily available in the shops where i live) I have tweaked my list to the following:

Mobo - ?
Cpu - Intel i5 -3570K
CPU cooling - BeQuiet! Dark Rock advanced
RAM - Corsair vengeance LP, 2x4Gb
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage - 120gb Samsung SSD
Storage - 2tb western digital black
Case - Corsair Carbide 500r
Power - be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM, 680 Watt, 80 Plus Gold

I was advised to get gold rated power if I will be trying to overclock, is this worth the extra?
My final question is which mobo to get. I will only need to connect two or three hard disks, a GPU and possibly a sound card in the future. I won't be using FireWire and have no plans to utilise the other connections. I will try to overclock the GPU and CPU but only slightly. I am happy to pay for a better mobo if it is worth it but I am not convinced that spending $250 for a mobo with this rig will actually get better performance than a $100 one, rather than just provide me with a bunch of connections that I will never use.
Basically, I want to find the price point where I will get the best performance from the whole rig but I am not wasting money on connections that I won't use or on a board that is too good for the rest of my kit. Any advice?
Old 22-12-12, 08:05 AM

The best price point for a motherboard is around $150-$200. Make sure you find something with enough PCI-E slots and something that is good to overclock on. Don't go super cheap because you may regret it later because it either won't overclock good or wont give you potential to add parts down the road.
Old 22-12-12, 09:47 AM

ASUS Maximus V gene is a great board for the price. Its a matx so if your fine with its amount of expansion slots, I'd go with that.

Have you thought of getting a wd green instead of black for storage? Its quieter and I don't see the need for speed in a storage drive.
(should also be cheaper)
Old 22-12-12, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65 8 total sata ports means you can keep adding storage.
I have my trusty, not so old GTX550Ti in one pci-e slot and decided to whack in my mates old GTX260SP216 as a physics card and it works pretty well on Batman Arkham City, getting alot more detail than without it.

Sleeping Dogs is a different story though. I reckon that game would push even 2x7990's to their limit. We need games that push the envelope, forcing card development to new heights.

Its not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but I reckon the most cost effective. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G...l#/?div=Detail
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060WF3OC 6GB
Audio: Onboard out to Logitec 6.1
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 700w
Case: Thermaltake Dokker