Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 17-12-12, 08:50 AM

$1400 build critique

Need to update my ageing PC and am looking to build something for around $1300 to $1400. It will be used for gaming and MS Office but not video editing or anything exotic. After a bit of research I have decided on the following and would like some expert opinions on whether this looks like a balanced
build. I only play a few games a year but I want the new rig to last a good 5 years before needing to do a serious overhaul.

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Cpu - Intel i5 -3570K
CPU cooling - BeQuiet! Dark Rock advanced
RAM - Kingston HyperX Blu, 2x8GB
GPU - Sapphire HD 7950 Dual Fan 3GB
Storage - 120gb Corsair Force3 SSD
Storage - 2tb seagate barracuda
Case - Corsair Carbide 500r
Power - Corsair TX650 V2, 650W, 80Plus Bronze

Old 17-12-12, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

looks good mate.
Old 17-12-12, 10:12 AM
OC3D Crew

Nice specs!
Old 17-12-12, 10:49 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeh, specs look good to me. Do you really need 16GB? Unless you're running VM's or doing some photo/video editing you wouldn't need that much. Then again, it could be quite useful if you want to try using part of it as a RamDisk.
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v

Old 17-12-12, 10:56 AM

Cheers, some specific questions I had we're whether 650 is enough/ too much power if I plan on upgrading a few things in a few years and whether the 7950 is overpowered for single screen gaming? I also think 8gb RAM is enough but it's so cheap why not get more.
Old 17-12-12, 10:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to whosbawss
If your going for a 7950 then go for the royal club 3d one as its around the same price and if you put about 10mins of work overclocking you can get it running at 60 OC speeds :P other than that its a nice system. I agree that you should get more RAM as you arn't wanting to upgrade again for a few more years so you may as well.
Old 17-12-12, 11:01 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyt View Post
Cheers, some specific questions I had we're whether 650 is enough/ too much power if I plan on upgrading a few things in a few years and whether the 7950 is overpowered for single screen gaming? I also think 8gb RAM is enough but it's so cheap why not get more.
Yeah, there's no harm in having more

The 7950 is fine for single screen gaming. If you want to play the latest titles like Far Cry 3 and Hitman Absolution, the 7950 is the minimum I would be getting.
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v

Old 17-12-12, 11:15 AM

I think your build is a great performer with a decent price tag, which is what you were probably aiming at.

No one can say how long into the future that will last, but im guessing worst case scenario is that you need to upgrade your gpu at some point, but seeing as you play a few games a year, you probably don't mind playing without absolute maximum settings (in the future), in which case that gpu won't have to be upgraded in a long time.

Nothing wrong with 16gb ram, but you don't need it, so IF your budget is getting tight, that should be the first to go otherwise go for it.

EDIT:
and that tx650 can run even a sli/crossfire setup so no need to worry if its enough for you.
Old 17-12-12, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

The problem with power supplies is usually too little or too cheap, not too much. 1200 would be overkill for sure. I think youll be set with the 650.
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060WF3OC 6GB
Audio: Onboard out to Logitec 6.1
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 700w
Case: Thermaltake Dokker
Old 18-12-12, 08:11 PM

How much does each part cost? More often that not the value of the component is relative to it's price, so it's useful to know the price as well.

For example, I've often seen the TX650 V2 to be priced higher than similar units such as the XFX Core Edition 650w and the Antec HGC620 (all three are actually internally identical, IIRC), so you could save a bit of money off each component.

Also, usually for just a boot drive SSD speeds aren't that relevant, so I wouldn't count on speeds too much. Again this can differ depending on where you are purchasing the components, but I've often found units like the Samsung 840 series to be notably cheaper, whilst maintaining reasonable speeds.

This is just something to consider yourself, but don't spend too much on a motherboard if you aren't going to use all the features. The board is indeed excellent with features like 15 phases, but it's rather excessive for an air-cooled setup and you may be better off with a cheaper GA-Z77X-UD3H or a Z77 Extreme4 from ASRock.

Also, be wary of which Sapphire card you are getting. I've heard some people having locked voltages with the Vapor-X cards, though it seems like their dual-X HD7950's are fine.

Also on a minor note, the 2TB Barracuda's are actually notably worse compared to the 1TB and 3TB ones due to the 667GB platters. It's not a problem if it's just for bulk storage, but if performance is a large issue, you may want to switching to either of the two capacities instead.