Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 29-07-10, 10:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Nice! I'm glad you fixed it!

Ahhh... overclocking... it's not that hard but can be a pain at times.

Old 29-07-10, 01:42 PM

Remember overclocking back in the day? You just moved a few jumpers on the board. Overclocking i7's is waaaay more involved. Imagine if we still used jumpers on the i7 platform? You would need a separate daughter board for all the things you need to tweak on the i7 platform.

Old 29-07-10, 02:53 PM

Hahahaha yes *tries desperately to fit in* I hear THAT, my friend!

Ahhh daughter boards, what are they like? Am I right guys?

High five..!

....anyone?
Old 29-07-10, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='7up'
hahahaha yes *tries desperately to fit in* i hear that, my friend!

Ahhh daughter boards, what are they like? Am i right guys?

High five..!

....anyone?
lol!

I was overclocking with jumpers when I didn't even know what overclocking was. Stumbled upon it by accident. Reading my post though makes it look like I'm an old fart. I'm only 27!

Old 29-07-10, 06:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Gigabyte's dip switches were awesome way back when..

Glad you got it working 7up

Who remembers when cache came on a seperate card? and you were rich if you had one !
Old 29-07-10, 10:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AlienALX'
Who remembers when cache came on a seperate card? and you were rich if you had one !
What?! Cache on a seperate card? You're joking right? O.o
Old 30-07-10, 12:21 AM

lol unfortunately he's not. It was expensive as hell too.

Old 30-07-10, 10:59 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='killablade'
What?! Cache on a seperate card? You're joking right? O.o
I faeces you not. Here we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='
The card, about the size of a PCI card [B]has only 4 SRAM ICs to make up the 32 KB cache memory[/B'], 1 controller IC and three tag SRAM chips.
That particular one is from a MAC from 1990. I couldn't find any PC ones (I'm not surprised really) but they were basically identical only about the size of half a credit card. Cost was at least a couple of hundred pounds, depending on the size you wanted.

I can't remember when they introduced on die cache now. Possibly Pentium or Pentium 2. But in my day (makes an old man grumbling sound) if you wanted anything you were going to pay for it. Most notably (and when I used one) was when I had my DX266. Sounds pretty good right? Like it could be 266mhz? dream on. It was 66mhz. They then released the DX4100 which was 100mhz. My first PC carried an SX25 in it (386 architecture) and the DX2 and DX4 were 486. They then went onto create the 586 (am I starting to ring bells here, no?) with the Pentium processors. OK then ever heard of X86 operating systems?

PH33R mY pOwAh. All of it was tied into a DMA33 hard drive controller, and a 30mb hard drive cost you about a grand (Again, I faeces you not).

Colour was an extra. For that you needed an ISA VGA card. And you don't even want to know what those and a colour monitor would cost you....

First set of memory I ever got was 32k of 30 pin SIMM. It then went onto SDRAM with the original DIMM, then DDR then DDR2 and so on.
Old 30-07-10, 01:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to BloomerzUK
Glad you've got it sorted!
Old 30-07-10, 03:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AlienALX'
I faeces you not. Here we go.

That particular one is from a MAC from 1990. I couldn't find any PC ones (I'm not surprised really) but they were basically identical only about the size of half a credit card. Cost was at least a couple of hundred pounds, depending on the size you wanted.

I can't remember when they introduced on die cache now. Possibly Pentium or Pentium 2. But in my day (makes an old man grumbling sound) if you wanted anything you were going to pay for it. Most notably (and when I used one) was when I had my DX266. Sounds pretty good right? Like it could be 266mhz? dream on. It was 66mhz. They then released the DX4100 which was 100mhz. My first PC carried an SX25 in it (386 architecture) and the DX2 and DX4 were 486. They then went onto create the 586 (am I starting to ring bells here, no?) with the Pentium processors. OK then ever heard of X86 operating systems?

PH33R mY pOwAh. All of it was tied into a DMA33 hard drive controller, and a 30mb hard drive cost you about a grand (Again, I faeces you not).

Colour was an extra. For that you needed an ISA VGA card. And you don't even want to know what those and a colour monitor would cost you....

First set of memory I ever got was 32k of 30 pin SIMM. It then went onto SDRAM with the original DIMM, then DDR then DDR2 and so on.
O.o

Wow. Am I glad I live in this age xD