Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 09-04-09, 10:43 PM

"No Signal" On Monitor

Recently i've attempted for the first time to build a computer, but i've had several problems and am afraid that I will never get it to work.

My problem is after I install the parts to the motherboard and power up the motherboard and CPU I get "No Signal" on the monitor.

I have litterally tried every solution to fix this problem the the problem still exists.

These are some of the solutions I have tried so far

. Build outside of the case

. Keep the essential parts on to test ( CPU + Fan, 1 Stick of Ram, Graphic Card )

. Tried to use the onboard graphics ( Taken the graphic card out for meantime )

. Tested the ram in different ram slots

. Clearing CMOS

Just to add that I have had 2 motherboards, 2 CPU's and 2 kinds of 4GB ram, since I was convinced they were the ones faulty but obviously they weren't ( Replacement for the 1st CPU and a refund for the the 1st motherboard then got a different motherboard, DDR2 ram for first motherboard then I got DDR3 for the next motherboard )

Here are the specs:

( Original Motherboard ) Sapphire PC-AM2RS790GX Socket AM2+

( Orginal RAM ) Corsair DDR2 4GB RAM

( Current Motherboard ) Asus M4A79T-E Socket AM3

( Current RAM ) Corsair DDR3 4GB RAM

AMD Phenom II x3 720 ( Socket AM3 )

Corsair 750W PSU

Asus HD 4870

So far I have tested 2 motherboards and 2 of the Phenom 720's but still the fault exists.

I have asked around on some other forums but I have had useless answers which did not fix the problem, I saw that some people has also had this problem in this forum so I thought it'd be a good idea to try and get help here since some of the victims of this had this fixed by the solutions here but I tried them all and still it is not working.

What happens is everything is on, I hear no beeps from the motherboard, everything is functional like the CPU fan and the DVD drive and HDD but obviously I taken them off to test with only the essential parts.

Quite frankly I am starting to get fustrated with this and just probably give up, also all the parts I bought was new except the PSU, so I really think it could be the PSU now since it is the only componment I haven't returned and got a replacement, and lastly I do not have a friend with parts to test it on so I am unable to go with that solution and also I do not have spare PSU's or any other part to test to see where the fault lies.

Anyway heres a picture of the parts I have connected this picture has the graphic card slotted in but I have also tested with onboard card.

h<t>tp://i44.tinypic.com/2cyl2cg.jpg ( Without the "<" and ">" on the t, Sorry for avoiding the link thing but I need to show the picture :/ )

Old 09-04-09, 11:06 PM
OC3D Elite

http://i44.tinypic.com/2cyl2cg.jpg

Heres the link for you. Does your motherboard / case have a POST speaker? And what monitor have you got? If your plugging it in via VGA have you tried DVI and vice versa?

If you've tried everything with different hardware but with the same PSU, it could be that at fault.
Old 09-04-09, 11:40 PM

I tried both DVI and VGA and still doesn't work, also the case doesn't have a POST speaker but im not sure about the motherboard.
Old 10-04-09, 08:49 AM
OC3D Elite

hmm ok, also have you tried putting the graphics card into the blue pci-e lane?
Old 10-04-09, 09:08 AM
OC3D Crew

have you set the default pci-e lane to use?
Old 10-04-09, 07:14 PM

I tried both PCI-E lanes and even the onboard graphics too.
Old 10-04-09, 10:53 PM
OC3D Elite

have you tried a different monitor? Is the cable good? I think the PSU should be ok as the other parts are working fine. I would go back to basics and take everything out (including graphics card) reset your bios to default settings and try on minimal gear failing that try someone elses monitor.

I know you may have tried these already- is the hard drive being recognised ? afterthought or can you not even see the bios screen?

Old 11-04-09, 12:21 AM

I tried a different monitor, cable is good since I tested with it with my laptop.

Already tried resetting BIO's and try it without graphic card, the HDD even powers up too.

The psu is the only thing I haven't replaced so im just taking a guess its that now and no I can't see the BIO's screen since I can't get past the "No Signal" stage.
Old 11-04-09, 10:30 AM
OC3D Elite

Almost everytime I've come across this problem, it's been the way the gfxcard is being powered.

Immediately with this sort of setup, u have a decent looking psu, with more than enough power on the label, and connect the dedicated pcie connectors to the gfxcard and get no signal.

PC pretends to boot, i.e. after so many seconds u get an led response from the keyboard when u press caps-lock or numpad - i.e.2. the pc is inherently alive.

.. but rewind to where u plugged ur psu into the gfxcard. Take that pcie cable out and replace it with the 2x molex->pcie cable that came with the gfxcard.

9/10 this works for me. Even with the bestest of quality psus. Something to do with being able to raise a burst of power at the init stage I'm guessing.

If it doesn't work, I'll shut the hell up.

Old 11-04-09, 10:43 AM

Erm I only have one molex to PCI-E cable with my HD 4870, i've probably lost one :/

Anyway shouldn't the onboard graphic card work though?