Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 20-06-17, 06:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Do you have a "DRAM boot voltage" option in your BIOS? Some Ryzen folks on OCN reported some success with setting the DRAM boot voltage to 1.4, but with the actual regular DRAM voltage set to 1.35v. So the RAM gets a bit more voltage on boot up to get over the memory training hurdle.

Old 20-06-17, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Do you have a "DRAM boot voltage" option in your BIOS? Some Ryzen folks on OCN reported some success with setting the DRAM boot voltage to 1.4, but with the actual regular DRAM voltage set to 1.35v. So the RAM gets a bit more voltage on boot up to get over the memory training hurdle.
Thanks for the reply.

Can't find anything named EXACTLY "DRAM / DDR boot voltage" but included screenshots of anything that might share a different name but same purpose. (I'm unfamiliar with this level of tinkering so not 100% on what the alternative names could be) Perhaps VPP Voltage? - Wouldn't start adjusting it without advice.

Went back to auto NB Voltage as it didn't allow me to get any further than where I am with auto.

Edit/Side note: I'm still within a full-refund no questions asks time period, so if anyone believes going for a different board, or even an x370 would yield a better CHANCE at higher DRAM frequency I would bite the bullet and give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSI_SnapShot_DigitALL_POWER_Settings1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	11915   Click image for larger version

Name:	MSI_SnapShot_Voltage_Settings1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	11916  

Corsair AX860 | W10 x64
Old 20-06-17, 07:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Hmm, there shouldn't be another name for it, unless this is something specific to Asus boards (my Crosshair 6 Hero X370 board has it). It simply sets a unique DRAM voltage ONLY for the boot up process. Once booted, it reverts to the standard DRAM voltage you have set to 1.360v above. But maybe it's Asus only.

If I were you, I'd be happy with 2933, but see how low you can get your memory timings. According to some, running lower speed memory with tighter timings can net you as good or better performance than higher speeds / looser timings. I'm patiently waiting for the BIOS to improve for my CH6 Hero. I've spend enough time tinkering to know that it isn't worth the trouble, since every BIOS update seems to fix one thing and break another.

Old 20-06-17, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Hmm, there shouldn't be another name for it, unless this is something specific to Asus boards (my Crosshair 6 Hero X370 board has it). It simply sets a unique DRAM voltage ONLY for the boot up process. Once booted, it reverts to the standard DRAM voltage you have set to 1.360v above. But maybe it's Asus only.

If I were you, I'd be happy with 2933, but see how low you can get your memory timings. -snipped-
I'll have one last glance at every disposable option in the BIOS but I'm positive I checked everything. If I haven't edited within 15 minutes of posting this reply then I haven't found it.

The general consensus I'm getting is that I should be pretty happy with 2933, and I'm coming around to the idea with being happy with it. If I remotely change any of the timings - even loosening them up, the computer starts boot looping.

I'm going to look more into the VPP voltage tonight / tomorrow and see if I can find anything relevant to this.

Corsair AX860 | W10 x64
Old 10-08-17, 06:11 PM

I know made this thread a while back now but thought I'd give an update in case anyone can relate to this threads issues.

Recently a wave of AMD chipset drivers (network chipsets/drivers etc as well) came through, including a new BIOS for my motherboard (7B00-14 for the MSI B350 Pro Carbon) and since installing and updating all of these, I decided to give my RAM one more try at 3200.. (tldr; it would not budge over 2933MHz no matter what)

Huzzuh! It works just like that. Not done extensive testing on stability but the fact the A-XMP profile now sets it to 3200MHz @ 1.36v and boots successfully (with a minor stress test) is good news for me.

I've yet to set up a manual OC, but I'm presuming it'll work. (got a bit excited and headed straight here to update) I might try pushing my CPU a tiny bit since these updates came through I might be able to get a bit further.

Any more hiccups or dramatic increase in cpu OC headroom I'll update, if not then everything is working well.

Corsair AX860 | W10 x64
Old 10-08-17, 08:27 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Glad to hear you got it working. Ryzen has for sure come a long way
Old 13-08-17, 05:21 AM

Glad you get it sorted for 3200. I have the Ryzen 7 1700 and the exact same ram kit as you running on the MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic and it's running stable at 3200. Didn't even have to touch the SOC. Oh BTW the stock cooler will handle a 3.7 OC just fine. I did notice that the fan curves at least on my Arctic we're a bit to LAX in my noob opinion so had to make them a tad more aggressive.