The Guvnor

RGB - Ryzen Gaming Build

When you RGB all of the AMD things.....

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 19-05-17, 04:55 PM
OC3D Elite

You need an OC3D "Flashy Lights Award"

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 19-05-17, 07:03 PM

Thumbs up

Just Finished my Ryzen/RGB build. This video is a good reference for tweaking it further. Thanks TTL!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18555863_10212977493541986_1126462567926935810_n.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	11873   Click image for larger version

Name:	18519988_10212977484101750_3372724943649705661_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	11874  
Old 19-05-17, 09:27 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyzenMaster View Post
Just Finished my Ryzen/RGB build. This video is a good reference for tweaking it further. Thanks TTL!

Full rig gallery required! (look for the sub forum)

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 19-05-17, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Full rig gallery required! (look for the sub forum)
My apologies. I submitted a Full rig gallery in the specified sub forum.
Old 19-05-17, 11:54 PM

Warning about G.Skill RGB Memory

People should be made aware that there are major issues with the G.Skill RGB memory modules and both Aura and G.Skill software. The SPD's on the memory can and frequently do become corrupted. The bios plays hell trying to deal with the corrupted SPD's, and major booting / stability problems result.

This is well documented, and at this point, has no fix by either G.Skill or Asus. The only alternatives are to RMA / return the memory sticks, or use Thaiphoon Burner to re-write your SPD's.

I had this occur, and it was thanks to the great help from the authors of HWiNFO64 and Thaiphoon Burner that the problem was diagnosed. Voodoo Jungle summated the issue this way over at the "G.SKILL DDR4 RGB Lighting with Trident Z Series Thread" on overclock.net:

"The RGB series is a big fail for G.SKILL. The idea to control LED lightning via writes to SPD EEPROM is poor itself. Besides, it is extremely dangerous! The only purpose of SPD EEPROM is to store SPD data (timings, frequencies, technical module parameters, etc). Even the final version of G.SKILL software will cannot help resolve issues with SPD corrupting."

red-ray - the author of SIV64X in the "ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread" at the same forum, points out that the issue is exacerbated by Asus / G.Skill 's failure to use the Global\Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method named mutex to interlock SMBus access in their software.

"I can confirm the issues are all down to ASUS not using the locks. In my testing of SIV as soon as ASUS Aura is started SMBus retries are reported and this never happens when such as AIDA64 or HWiNFO are also active."

So there is a fundamental hardware design problem, compounded by poorly coded software. I like both Asus and G.Skill in general, but this is a big problem that has borked many users.

Asus staff has said they are working on it, but no solution is firm yet. In the mean time, the use of either manufacturer's software with G.Skill RGB memory is putting your modules at risk.

Personally, I returned the RGB modules, for sticks with the same Samsung B-die chips, and rating in a no RGB kit. It solved the problems I was having.
Old 20-05-17, 01:47 AM
OC3D Elite

That rig looks proper nice and I like the way you were able to roll many reviews into one
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=Asus X370 ROG Crosshair VI Hero=16gig 3200Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 20-05-17, 11:26 PM

I had started a thread on the G.Skill forum on the SPD corruption problem. The G.Skill Tech admin there responded:

"We are aware of the issue and of course working on a solution. It is not solely Trident Z RGB software or ASUS Aura software that causes it so there are many other factors involved that we are looking into. Rest assured our goal is always to make sure the product is as good as it can be, and most importantly, the product is working flawlessly in your system. We read every post so we appreciate your feedback and patience as we resolve problems as soon as possible."

Others are posting their issues there as well:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=14357