Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 12-05-19, 07:01 PM

Realgar Project

Hello everyone! I'm finally back with a new project, this time on a Cooler Master SL600M with a mineral stone as theme, the Realgar.
This will be my main entry for the upcoming CMWS19, together with Sky Three!

Special thanks go to MSI, Cooler Master, Adata XPG, Alphacool and Resin Pro, for providing materials and hardware for the project!

So let's take a look at the case while I take it apart to start modding

First thing to do: find a more optimal placement for the PSU, which will be more far into the front, with this custom brackets (after having done the necessary cuts on the case panel)

Back panel is swapped with a 10mm acrylic panel which will house the 360 radiator. This aluminum profile on the sides will help squaring out the internals and will serve as covers and structure elements for the center panel

Let's leave it at this huge acrylic panel, about to be sectioned

Old 13-06-19, 10:06 AM

Hey guys, I've been caught up with university exams lately but I'm almost done so I'm getting back to work slowly.

While we wait for some updates, here's a video with some info on the project and on the hardware that I'll be using for this project:

Old 19-06-19, 09:31 AM

Finally back with an update! We'll take a look at some interesting stuff.

First I made some tests for the hardware layout, as I want to find a new way of mounting it, and this is the best option I could find. Obviously it's approximate:

Then I started to draw and cut the designs for the air vents, single 120 for the PSU fan and 360 for the back radiator.

First 10mm acrylic panel

Second 5mm panel that will go together with the 10mm one

And this is the effect with the two panels mounted together. They will have two different colours eventually and should create a very nice effect

Old 20-06-19, 02:07 PM

Nice idea with the front. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 20-06-19, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
Nice idea with the front. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
What if I told you that's actually the back and not the front?
Old 20-06-19, 11:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaaintJimmy View Post
I'd say that's a ton of great work on a sexy butt that no one will see unless it's turned sideways, LOL! From the looks of it, that would be a shame, but I'm guessing you have a plan not to hide that work. Can't wait to see that unfold, excellent build!

Old 21-06-19, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaaintJimmy View Post
Good thing I'm a butt guy!

Old 23-06-19, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I'd say that's a ton of great work on a sexy butt that no one will see unless it's turned sideways, LOL! From the looks of it, that would be a shame, but I'm guessing you have a plan not to hide that work. Can't wait to see that unfold, excellent build!
Thank you very much! This is supposed to stand out at Case Mod World Series 2019 so every single aspect of the build has to be unique and perfect. Definitely not meant to just be used in a setup
Old 24-06-19, 03:42 PM
Bettyswollocks

I do enjoy a new build which keeps you in suspense with no clear direction, honestly can not wait for the finale. The CMWS is really heating up this year.
Old 10-07-19, 10:08 AM

A quick update on some modifications I made to the case and to the layout

Initially, you saw that I kept the PSU at the front with that fancy grill and all, but I realised it took up way too much space. So I realized that the top could easily house the PSU by cutting off some of the plastic structure of the external top panel. So what I have now is the PSU at the top and about 5cm more in the internals.

Next was the rear I/O ports, that have to be rethinked because of the layout I'm going to use for the motherboard: I grabbed some panel extensions and integrated them to the rear foot:

And last but not least, a simple yet very effective mod. The external panels on the SL600M come with a hooking systems that allows you to remove them by reaching the internal hooks and popping them off. This means you have to potentially open the case if you have to remove the external top or front panel, moreover you will have those hooks sticking out into the case, which make custom panels and covers hard to make. What I did was making four brackets with threaded inserts that I could fix the front panel to using four screws. Yeah now I have to use a screwdriver to take it off but at least I will have a flat area internally and I won't have to reach in the case to remove an external panel. Plus this was mandatory for the things I have in mind anyway