Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 13-09-19, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Truely Incredible! This stopped being a generic mod ages ago it's simply a work of art now. Kudos.
Thank you so much! I love when my work gets labeled as work of art because that's exactly what I aim to!

Old 13-09-19, 08:31 AM

A quick look at the first tubing mock-up. I thought I would do something less intricate with the loop this time but I just can't help it, I love parallel runs

Made the bracket for the PSU mounting in the top section

I reshaped the two back panels with this characteristic cut I'm bringing along this whole project, to make it smoother and more geometric

Also began working on the front and top panels cutouts, I made this simple design in Silhouette Studio, cut the stencil and went over it with a pen once I applied it to the panel, this way all the sections in both panels will be exactly the same. It would've been hard doing it by hand since they're very irregular shapes. Obviously cut with my trusty scrollsaw

And as anticipated in the previous post, I swapped the red LEDs of the lightbox with WRGB strips

Old 13-09-19, 01:50 PM
Bettyswollocks

There's a lot to be said for parallel tubed loops, I personally love them over intricate complex bends, plus given the nature of your build with the sharp angles and edges straight pipes would compliment it way more over curves. Keep it up man this is fast becoming my all time drool worthy build log.
Old 18-09-19, 08:24 AM

Same treatment for the top panel, again cut with a scrollsaw

And now something pretty unique. Aside from the resin panels, the new technique I couldn't wait to try out for this project was... growing crystals! And what better fitting project than a Realgar project?
What I did was forming a shape in polymer clay, let it dry, then coating it with glue and lay some borax on the surface, so that it could cover it and stay there once the glue dried.
Then I boiled some water and created a saturated solution with borax, adding it until it couldn't dilute anymore. I put the piece in the solution, waited over night and here you go: a nice big geode!

Unfortunately, I tried to dye the solution with red, because I wanted the crystals to be red, but it turned out I had to add sooo much dye in order to obtain a crystal that was red enough. In fact, what I got was more like a pink salt colour

Ready to take on another try (that would've meant buying gallons of dye), I thought YOLO and tried to paint the crystal with a metallic red, which is also a bit translucent, so maybe I wouldn't have lost most of shine from the crystals. And it turned out awesome, even better than I could've imagined!

This is what it was made for

Still for the front panel, I had to make something to fill the other cutouts I made. So I cut a pair of acrylic panels, turned them into a frame and taped the bottom with aluminum tape. It was time for another epoxy pour!

Old 18-09-19, 09:01 AM
OC3D Elite

WOW dude that's freakin amazing what you did to get that crystal......just WOW!
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=MSI MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 18-09-19, 10:01 PM
OC3D Elite

DAMN son! I think this is the first time I've seen a resin pour used in a PC build, and it looks SPECTACULAR!!! Plus that crystal is an awesome detail. What a combo!!!

Old 19-09-19, 08:23 AM

Finally got started with the paintjob! I had a very specific idea for this: balancing a stone colour/effect with shiny red details that resembled the minerals inside the stone. For that purpose, I chose two colours for the stone, an avory white and a golden grey, and helped myself with two different stone effects from Rustoleum. They're simply clear coats with chunks of paint in it, that will simulate a stone-ish look after having dried.

I started with the main frame of the chassis, giving it the golden grey

Then I moved on to the two panels from the lightbox, as well as the two back panels (how cool to they look when clear? ). This time I went with the avory white

And the internal top and bottom panels are done as well

I also gave a stone look to the radiator, and now it's a true monolith with crystal fins! Some will have doubts about painting the fins, but to be honest, for what I want to achieve with this project, I won't need those 2-3 degrees, but I really needed to get rid of most of the black in the build

It's external panels' turn now. I mainly used avory white for these, except for the plastic part of the front panel, for which I used the golden grey

Old 19-09-19, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the amazing support guys! I always get the most amazing feedback on this forum
Old 20-09-19, 10:35 AM

Time for another batch of crystals, this time for the front piece that used to have I/O ports on it. I cut everything that was visible when mounted, and filled the void with pipe cleaners, so that when the piece gets dipped in the borax solution, crystals will grow on them.

I had to adjust the crystals a bit with a file because they grew too much in some area and the two panels wouldn't fit

Since the shape of the pipe cleaners was still a bit too visible, and I wanted some bigger crystal, I grabbed some of the single crystals left from the first batch, and super glued them on the new geode

The painted and the result was beautiful imho!

Then I went to finally put the front panel together! This whole panel took a whole lot of work and different techniques applied, but I think it was well worth it.

Also painted the top mesh, after having stripped the black paint off it, so that when going over with the metallic red, which is slightly translucent, some of the shine from the metal would pop up

Bonus pic: I finally finished polishing the resin panel. Man it does take quite a lot of work to get a nice result!

Old 20-09-19, 04:34 PM
OC3D Elite

You sir are approaching mad genius levels here. Like Ali Abbass levels of mad genius! Who the heck GROWS crystals for a build, that is so bloody awesome!!