Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Air Cooling

Old 04-09-17, 11:11 AM

Using a PWN fan splitter for ML 140 fans. Will they work?

Today I just bought 3 ML140 LED fans for my case and water cooler. 1 exhaust and 2 for my Kracken x61 AIO

Just wondering if i plug a PWM fan splitter cable into the mobo and connect each fan to this will they all work properly?

I have a Asus z170 pro mobo.

Is it just goin to give them all full power all the time??

Would I be best plugging them into their own header?

Also will i effect the control the mobo has over each fan??

Thanks

Old 04-09-17, 11:34 AM
OC3D Elite

If you look at your PWM splitter, one fan connection will have 4 wires. the 4th being the signal. As long as 1 fan is connected to this one, it means that all your fans on the splitter will get the same PWM signal and be controllable via your mobo.

so if you have a 4 fan pwm splitter, make sure at least one fan is connected to the 4 wire connection or you will be stuck at full speed.

Old 04-09-17, 12:31 PM

Great, thanks

So would it be ok to connect the 1 exhaust fan on rear of the case to this?? The other two fans will be on the radiator for the water cooler.

So my set would be.

1 case fan connected to this "speed signal" and the two radiator fans for the AIO connected to any of the others splitter headers

thanks
Old 04-09-17, 01:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Wouldn't make a difference as long as one of the three is connected. It then replicates the PWM speed to the remaining two.
Old 04-09-17, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Also one last question (sorry for being a plague)

But will I also need to plug in the molex power connection on the splitter cable if im running 3 fans off one header from the board??

Thanks again
Old 07-09-17, 03:28 PM
OC3D Elite

If you're using a molex powered PWM hub, yes, for sure use that molex. I don't know what the power draw is on that particular fan, but I would never daisy-chain fans off a motherboard header unless I knew for certain it was a high amp header. Or if you did the power math and know for certain that the combined draw of the 3 fans is less than 1 amp, then you might be fine with a 3-way splitter cable.

Personally, I prefer powered hubs that draw molex power. I'd rather my PSU supply the power directly to the fans, rather than rely on the motherboard to supply that power. Just my $0.02CDN.