Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 29-08-18, 08:17 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I bet in RTX enabled titles the shadows and reflections which would have been good without RTX i.e real time reflections, PCSS, HBAO+ etc... which are all available right now, Will be dulled down so when RTX is enabled people will say "WOW" even though it really won't be a night and day difference.
I don't think most devs will do that to be honest. It's more like it's that much better it makes the old way look worse than it is. However if the previous title was indeed actually better when comparing Rasterization vs Rasterization methods then I would agree.

Old 30-08-18, 03:55 AM
Bettyswollocks

Spam hammer ACTIVATE!!
Old 30-08-18, 10:15 AM
OC3D Elite

Well worth a watch.

Old 30-08-18, 10:20 AM

Lol, it's well known amongst graphics devs that gamers don't know what accurate lighting or reflections should look like and will often think it's a bug. It even happens with game artists tbh.

I don't know how people can say it looks worse.. it's literally the previous BF game with accurate reflections.

Watch the DF video below for some good explanations.

Old 30-08-18, 10:28 AM
OC3D Elite

I mean it's obviously better but if it has a hefty price premium along and only runs at 1080p60 it just isn't ready for prime time yet (IMO). If it for example ran solely on the tensor cores without causing an FPS drop, sure, no problem. You get early adopter tech, where tradeoff is money for nicer effects. But now you end up having to compromise.
Old 30-08-18, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
If it for example ran solely on the tensor cores without causing an FPS drop, sure, no problem.
I believe that is the plan. No reason they can't run async.
Old 30-08-18, 10:41 AM
OC3D Elite

Rumours of the current limitations seem to be 1080 and ~60fps. And I haven't seen 4k ray traced footage. Nvidia hasn't explained the performance impact either.

And even if 1080p60 is the limiting factor for RTX, I wonder if it's possible to run the game at 2160p or 1440p and have RTX effects render at a lower resolution. Probably not though, seeing as it isn't post processing.

I want to be proven wrong. I was really impressed by their RTX dev blog. Then again I'm just a spectator in this since I can't realistically afford a 20-series GPU nor can I run Dx12 since I fully switched to Linux recently. :P

Edit: Oh, the video you linked literally includes considerations of scaling RTX effects. IMO in the heat of action, even 720p ray tracing would look great.
Old 30-08-18, 10:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
I don't know how people can say it looks worse.. it's literally the previous BF game with accurate reflections.
It's really very easy to say it looks worse when you have been playing at 4k for many years, 1.5 of those at max settings on what we already have and then *poof* you drop the res to 1080.

It looks like erse, reflections or not.

And the funny part is that all of these tiny little reflections and anal things they are doing won't even be noticeable when you are playing the game unless you go "Oh hang on, let me just stop here whilst being shot at, stop paying attention and focus in on that tiny little reflection of light in that puddle and see what's in it".

This is why until we can RT teh everythings at high resolution it's not worth bothering with incremental visual upgrades. Better to wait for monumental.

Old 30-08-18, 10:55 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It's really very easy to say it looks worse when you have been playing at 4k for many years, 1.5 of those at max settings on what we already have and then *poof* you drop the res to 1080.

It looks like erse, reflections or not.

And the funny part is that all of these tiny little reflections and anal things they are doing won't even be noticeable when you are playing the game unless you go "Oh hang on, let me just stop here whilst being shot at, stop paying attention and focus in on that tiny little reflection of light in that puddle and see what's in it".

This is why until we can RT teh everythings at high resolution it's not worth bothering with incremental visual upgrades. Better to wait for monumental.
Opinions differ from person to person. I'm the sort who would enjoy those subtle changes and discreet visual improvements. I would still say 1080p/1440p is the ideal market to target right now.

4k with RT? good luck waiting for that to come with 60+ fps on full settings. I would probably prefer 1080p on max with RT than 4k on medium settings.
Old 30-08-18, 10:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Opinions differ from person to person. I'm the sort who would enjoy those subtle changes and discreet visual improvements. I would still say 1080p/1440p is the ideal market to target right now.
If you have time to notice them whilst driving at 200mph or being shot at then all power to you. Most of the population wouldn't notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
4k with RT? good luck waiting for that to come with 60+ fps on full settings. I would probably prefer 1080p on max with RT than 4k on medium settings.
Yup it's at least three more gens away. I don't want to massively downgrade what I have already thanks, so I will wait until it can be done properly. Nvidia spent years convincing me how I needed 4k and it was the next best thing and eventually it was, so now they can do a U turn as far as I care I will just wait until 4k with RT is a thing and can be done properly.

The last time I remember chasing 1080p was about nine years ago, so yes it's all too much of a step backward for me.

Tags
banter, conversation, entertainment, fun, jokes, safe for work, small talk