Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 14-01-20, 08:49 PM
News Guru

The Epic Games Store's growth and revenue is exceeding Epic's initial expectations

Expect more exclusives and free games in 2020.

Read more about Epic Games' 2019 success and 2020 plans.

Old 14-01-20, 09:01 PM

I gave them a chance, then a week ago they force downloaded a free to play game I wasn't interested in and didn't ask for.
Old 14-01-20, 10:38 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbobaby View Post
I gave them a chance, then a week ago they force downloaded a free to play game I wasn't interested in and didn't ask for.

First I've heard of this type of behaviour, Which game was it out of curiosity ?

Old 14-01-20, 10:47 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Never heard of this before. May I ask what game it was? Never had this happen to me and I've used it since the beginning (hard to beat getting free games).
Old 15-01-20, 03:18 AM

It seems like an innocent thing, but I get where they're coming from. No one wants to turn around and have anywhere between 4-50GB missing from their local storage for something they didn't explicitly authorize.
Old 15-01-20, 07:35 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I call BS on that. That is illegal. And never has that happened to me. Considering i have obtained every free game, its not happened once to me after purchasing.
Old 15-01-20, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I call BS on that. That is illegal. And never has that happened to me. Considering i have obtained every free game, its not happened once to me after purchasing.
I think illegal is a stretch, but it flies directly in the face of the PC gaming community, generally speaking.

If this becomes widespread it will do some amusing rounds in the tech/gaming news. They should absolutely be criticised for any such activity.
Old 15-01-20, 08:55 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
I think illegal is a stretch, but it flies directly in the face of the PC gaming community, generally speaking.

If this becomes widespread it will do some amusing rounds in the tech/gaming news. They should absolutely be criticised for any such activity.
It does depend where you are, but this is what I was referring to

The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act covers any unauthorized software installations. Deceptive trade practices of any kind also violate the Federal Trade Commission Act. Additionally, the Electronic Communications Privacy Act makes it unlawful for companies to violate the security of customers' personal information.

Which is why I think the poster of the comment may have misunderstood it. Probably purchased the game and selected something which immediately downloaded it instead of cancelling the download request. I do not believe one bit that EPIC will download software without any approval or permission. Unless you opt in to something embedded in the settings.

Anyhow...

My one and only gripe at Epic was that I was a little naive in thinking that since they gave a bigger cut to developers, we would see lower pricing on game titles. Some it is clearly cheaper than Steam, others I see no difference at all. So it feels like a deceiving promise. Although it could be that developers set the pricing? I dunno.

overall, I am enjoying Epic titles. Mech 5 is just amazing, the free titles are pretty damn good and I see some freebies, being titles I paid for on Steam.
Old 15-01-20, 10:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah Warchild is right, another point is someone has to accept a EULA before any software can be installed, since games have their own EULAs separate to the store front in this case "stealth installing" a game would be illegal; Though I doubt the software even allows the EULA to be bypassed, so presumably it's user error here.
Old 15-01-20, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
First I've heard of this type of behaviour, Which game was it out of curiosity ?
It was Battle Breakers. 25GB and I definitely hadn't requested it. Hell, I didn't even know anything about it until it just appeared.