Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 25-04-15, 12:49 PM
News Guru

Intel Skylake i7 Performance Figures Leaked and Pictured

Intel's Skylake CPUs have had performance benchmarks leaked and their CPUs pictured. What do you think of the performance gains over haswell?

Read more on Intel's Skylake CPUs here.

Old 25-04-15, 12:55 PM
OC3D Elite

CineBench R15 doesn't give those results. So those graphs at least are bull.

(CB11.5 does)
Old 25-04-15, 01:13 PM

Well I knew it would happen... Three years ago I got a big PPI pay out and built a monster rig. Intel 3930K based system with for the time all the high end kit. A score of around 10 something or other is what my CPU gets when not overclocked. It's happened a "regular" i7 is as powerful as my Sandy-e. Well the old girl will have to serve a few more years. It was reassuring that she outpaced what I thought of as the "regular" Intel stuff. Looks like with this iteration or maybe the next the old girl will start to fall behind. Well there goes the bragging rights.
Old 25-04-15, 01:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post
CineBench R15 doesn't give those results. So those graphs at least are bull.

(CB11.5 does)
Yeah I was just thinking that. Might have been a mistake in posting.

If this isn't BS then I'm once again terribly disappointed by Intel. Another 5-10% hike, total yawn.

That makes it 15-30% faster than Sandy which was released years ago now and usually you can clock a Sandy far higher to completely offset the gain these newer (yet harder to clock) CPUs offer.

When I bought my 3970x I was quite worried about the 5820k. I thought about waiting but with the way Intel's gains have been going I kinda knew I would be safe with the 3970x. All said and done I managed to get it to 4.7ghz every day stable and as much as the boys on OCUK tried they couldn't topple my results with a 5820k.

Plus the 5820k does not have the lanes I really needed for my rig.

Funny really but nothing new. Intel's gains over the past few years have been utter crap.

I just hope that AMD's Zen offers something refreshing and completely new. All Intel seem to be doing is shrinking dies for the laptop/tablet sector and completely ignoring PC users. I can understand it of course, the PC market is not big enough to keep them in business any more, but it's just all so effing lame.

If Zen works out I will be very happy, and it may just push Intel into developing a new technology, not just shrinking down what they have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Well I knew it would happen... Three years ago I got a big PPI pay out and built a monster rig. Intel 3930K based system with for the time all the high end kit. A score of around 10 something or other is what my CPU gets when not overclocked. It's happened a "regular" i7 is as powerful as my Sandy-e. Well the old girl will have to serve a few more years. It was reassuring that she outpaced what I thought of as the "regular" Intel stuff. Looks like with this iteration or maybe the next the old girl will start to fall behind. Well there goes the bragging rights.
I'm in the same camp as you, brother. I run the 3970x and I see absolutely chuff all worth paying the premium of X99 for. I could "upgrade" to a 5930k at around £900? or so? and I would gain hardly anything given the 5930k could never reach the clock speeds I run my 3970x at. Maybe 5-10% and for what? that £900 or so.

Any one who bought Sandy has no reason to upgrade at all unless they want to go from an I3 to an I5 or an I5 to an I7. It's actually crazy just how utterly crap Intel's gains have been and how pointless all of these new CPUs are.

I guess that's what happens when you have no competition at the top though, and a display of what happens when one company can't compete.

It's all so bloody boring and predictable

Tell you what though. If AMD release the 16 core Zen for a good price I will possibly consider swapping out my rig. Until then I have absolutely no reason to upgrade whatsoever. That's kinda depressing in a way as I love new hardware but sadly very true.

*sigh*

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 25-04-15, 01:23 PM

so how long is it expected to be before these are released? is it heading into i should wait territory or not worry about it and build a rig now?
Old 25-04-15, 01:24 PM
OC3D Crew

I wonder what the price would be like?
Old 25-04-15, 01:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to EasyLover
it is mentioned that i7 5820k is a quad core CPU. Since when this happen?
Old 25-04-15, 01:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Governour View Post
High.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 25-04-15, 02:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Governour View Post

It's Intel and a I7 so probably around £280 in the UK and the I5 will be around £180 to £210

Server PC: 2700x, 16GB Corsair DDR4, MSI GTX 1660Ti, Gigabyte 120Gb M.2, Crucial 240Gb SSD, WD Blue 500Gb SSD, 2x Seagate 6Tb HDD's

Old 25-04-15, 02:23 PM
Resident Newb

So absolutely no reason for Haswell owners to upgrade, Bring on Cannonlake.