Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > MSI UK Forum

Old 31-01-19, 05:01 PM

OK, so I'm still wondering if there's protective film on the surfaces shown by the arrows in my picture.

Again, it does both feel and look like it but no matter how I try, I can't manage to separate any film from those grey pads.

Was hoping there would be someone else in here with the same model that could enlighten me.

Maybe @tinytomlogan could shed some light on this if you haven't already sent the board back?

Old 31-01-19, 06:13 PM
OC3D Elite

As I said, it is a pig to do dude. You need a very sharp blade, and you need to get under a corner. It's held in place, basically, by surface tension and suction. I hate the bloody things I really do.

Old 31-01-19, 06:16 PM

Ok, will give it another shot.
Old 31-01-19, 07:18 PM

OK, so I've spent another 30 mins trying to peel off what seems to be a very thin plastic layer from the grey thermal pads seen in the picture above using a razor blade but still no go

This makes me start doubting if there indeed is another plastic cover other than the blue plastic cover I already removed. At this point I think I'll give up and just use one of the other M.2 slots without this cooler.

I don't dare put my SSD in the slot with the cooler if it indeed is another plastic cover that should have been peeled off resulting in damaging my SSD due to heat.
Old 31-01-19, 08:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMaximus View Post
OK, so I've spent another 30 mins trying to peel off what seems to be a very thin plastic layer from the grey thermal pads seen in the picture above using a razor blade but still no go

This makes me start doubting if there indeed is another plastic cover other than the blue plastic cover I already removed. At this point I think I'll give up and just use one of the other M.2 slots without this cooler.

I don't dare put my SSD in the slot with the cooler if it indeed is another plastic cover that should have been peeled off resulting in damaging my SSD due to heat.
Just adding a thermal pad with the side you removed will aid in cooling believe it or not. It gives it a larger surface area to dissipate heat.

Old 31-01-19, 10:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
You have to peel both sides dude.Both sides of that blue stuff has a sheet of clear plastic acetate over it to protect it. For it to work it needs peeling. Then it becomes squishy and hard to handle (it's fiddly AF) then you can apply it.
Haha this made me laugh
Old 31-01-19, 10:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Haha this made me laugh
haha you know what it reminds me of when you peel both sides? a piece of gum you pulled out of your mouth and stretched

Old 01-02-19, 10:06 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMaximus View Post
OK, so I'm still wondering if there's protective film on the surfaces shown by the arrows in my picture.

Again, it does both feel and look like it but no matter how I try, I can't manage to separate any film from those grey pads.

Was hoping there would be someone else in here with the same model that could enlighten me.

Maybe @tinytomlogan could shed some light on this if you haven't already sent the board back?
Get a pin, and run it along the pad, if it creases with a glossy shine, then there is probably a film on it.

However, there is the possibility its a cheap quality one like that used by Swiftech MCP35x pumps. Those have an actual glossy finish on both sides

Click image for larger version

Name:	padd.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	12608
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	padd2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	12609  
Old 01-02-19, 10:30 AM

Thanks!

Even when the pads are not blue in my case, I guess that thin film should be there then just like in the screenshot you provided for the blue pads where it clearly tells you to not remove the film.

Will give it a go and keep my eyes open for temps to make sure all seems good. Might also do a comparison using the slot with the cooler and then using one of the other slots without a cooler to see what difference it might be.