Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 19-11-17, 03:30 PM
Resident Newb

Comes down to 1 choice that you may want to think about also.

Do you want extra clutter on your desk ?

Battle.Net: Dicehunter#2746
Old 19-11-17, 05:18 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Comes down to 1 choice that you may want to think about also.

Do you want extra clutter on your desk ?
Not really. I like my desk space to be smart and clean..
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 19-11-17, 05:34 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
Not really. I like my desk space to be smart and clean..
I've tried, Extensively, The Asus STXII which is an immense soundcard, External AMP/DAC combos and the new Sound Blaster AE5, The latter being brilliant.

I know there are the elitists out there that say "AMP/DAC or nothing !!!" but if you aren't a recording master looking for that last millionth of a Hz then you won't notice the difference.

I have the Soundblaster AE5 and an external Beyerdynamic clone AMP/DAC and the difference now is so small in quite a lot of scenarios i.e games, Music etc....Yes with the soundcard you have drivers but that's not a bad thing.
Old 19-11-17, 05:50 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I've tried, Extensively, The Asus STXII which is an immense soundcard, External AMP/DAC combos and the new Sound Blaster AE5, The latter being brilliant.

I know there are the elitists out there that say "AMP/DAC or nothing !!!" but if you aren't a recording master looking for that last millionth of a Hz then you won't notice the difference.

I have the Soundblaster AE5 and an external Beyerdynamic clone AMP/DAC and the difference now is so small in quite a lot of scenarios i.e games, Music etc....Yes with the soundcard you have drivers but that's not a bad thing.

The clutter from a Fiio E10k is so small. That thing is tiny and can be hidden. You're just gonna see the cables from the headset. Not any different from a sound card
And you can't hear a difference because the Beyer A20 clone is trash as is the A20 itself. You need something better to hear the difference.

The Fiio E10k is better than any sound card I've heard, yeah it goes on the desk but it's tiny so I don't see it as a negative. It's really just whatever you want OP. I'm just giving options. Knowing your options before making a choice is always nice to have.
Old 19-11-17, 06:02 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
The clutter from a Fiio E10k is so small. That thing is tiny and can be hidden. You're just gonna see the cables from the headset. Not any different from a sound card
And you can't hear a difference because the Beyer A20 clone is trash as is the A20 itself. You need something better to hear the difference.

The Fiio E10k is better than any sound card I've heard, yeah it goes on the desk but it's tiny so I don't see it as a negative. It's really just whatever you want OP. I'm just giving options. Knowing your options before making a choice is always nice to have.
Indeed. So is the Fiio at £60 gonna be a significant improvement over a £100 Gaming branded sound card?
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 19-11-17, 06:34 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Even if it wasn't saving that much money is worth it alone in my opinion. You will lose out on the "virtual surround" stuff but honestly I find it all to be useless and cannot hear a difference. Unless you need virtual surround for a stereo setup it's wasted on a headphone.
Old 21-11-17, 11:03 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Even if it wasn't saving that much money is worth it alone in my opinion. You will lose out on the "virtual surround" stuff but honestly I find it all to be useless and cannot hear a difference. Unless you need virtual surround for a stereo setup it's wasted on a headphone.
Grabbed an E10K. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for everyone's input

Old 21-11-17, 11:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Actually, the newest W10 supports virtual surround, though dolby atmos requires a store purchase and is bit of a hassle. So technically you don't even lose out on that, even if the benefits can be questionable. :P

Plenty of games support decent virtual surround though, and many have Atmos built in.
Old 21-11-17, 04:59 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Actually, the newest W10 supports virtual surround, though dolby atmos requires a store purchase and is bit of a hassle. So technically you don't even lose out on that, even if the benefits can be questionable. :P

Plenty of games support decent virtual surround though, and many have Atmos built in.
Yeah true but you can still hear everything even without surround sound. Heck I can hear it through a 2.0 speaker setup in R6S.
Old 21-11-17, 05:01 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post

I actually use the Dolby Atmos feature from the Windows store on my Rift headphones, Makes such a brilliant difference, Well worth it IMO.