Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Networks & Security

Old 26-08-17, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Upgrading My Current Router

Hello all.

I'm looking to upgrade my six years old Billion router to something that is a lot newer.

What i'm looking for is Wireless AC i have a second computer that runs off a Intel wireless card which is AC, This one maybe a long shot but does run kinda cool cause it will be mounting it under my desk but i'm not sure which one i should get and what sort of price range to get a decent one.

I'm been looking at a Netgear D6220 AC1200 now how good are these routers as far as brand name cause i don't think i have ever own a Netgear before.

I was looking at some Linksys but i was watching some Newegg videos earlier about the Linksys routers and people said in the comments don't touch them cause there a POS so i don't maybe cause there like 3-4 years old router.

Thanks

Old 26-08-17, 10:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Take a look at Asus offerings as TTL uses them and loves them
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 26-08-17, 11:03 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

I would recommend one of these https://mikrotik.com/product/RB952Ui-5ac2nD
BUT the OS that it comes with is on the "business IT" side of user friendlyness. Still heck of a great AP

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 27-08-17, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

@Excalabur50
Didn't ASUS get into trouble like 12-18 months ago about having back doors built into their router, I'm sure i read that some where or i was watching a "Tech News" video unless i'm mistaken.

I'm sure that most of the companies who make routers have back doors i guess it's just something we all have to get used too.

Thanks Excalabur50

@Thelosouvlakia
I'm not sure if i can buy that brand here but i have found similar one, There is one from Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X Advanced Gigabit Ethernet Router but i thought it was more of an Access point so i have heard from other people on a different forum that i go too and they say that the Ubiquiti does make some good stuff, How hot does these little boxes get, My plan is to have the router mounted under my desk.

If the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X Advanced Gigabit Ethernet Router works for me the bonus is it's only $84.00 compare to the Netgear is like $179.00

Thanks Thelosouvlakia
Old 27-08-17, 08:52 AM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Please note the ubiquity router is just a router, it doesn't do WiFi, you'll need a separate AP for that

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 27-08-17, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

@Thelosouvlakia
Ah that's good to know, It's kinda stupid with no wireless, The one that you recommend is around the same price but if i brought it i might have to buy it from ebay cause there are no local shops near me that stock it.

Thanks again
Old 27-08-17, 11:55 AM
OC3D Elite

If there was a problem with the Asus routers TTL wouldn't still be using them
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 27-08-17, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

@Excalabur50
Yeah that's true, But doesn't TTL use an high end ASUS router tho, TBH i did own a ASUS router not that long ago and i did a firmware update and it brick itself but TBF it was only a $50 router so that's why i had to go back to the Billion that i'm using now.

There is this Asus DSL-AC52U AC750 Dual Band 802.11ac WIFI ADSL/VDSL Modem Router
for like $119.00.

Now the next question would be a router with antennas or one without.

Also i just did a quick google search this i know it's from 2015 so i guess ASUS fix this now.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...bably-hack-it/

Thanks again
Old 30-08-17, 11:57 AM

I have owned a couple of Asus routers that have been rock solid over the years and have only just got rid of the RTN66U when i got an ac router. I looked at the Asus DSL-AC52U earlier this year because it was at a fairly decent price. I decided not to get it because of its lack of gigabit Ethernet ports. From what i remember it didnt have great reviews because of the speed of its AC connection. Instead I got the r7000 from netgear and installed custom
open source firmware on it. If you dont trust Asus you can always flash it with a custom firmware. My netgear has been rock solid and extremely fast wireless. Check out https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ for reviews. Its been a great site for accurate reviews on routers and Nas
Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC
Cougar Panzer
Old 30-08-17, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

@evilcorp
I brought my new router/modem yesterday i pick up the ASUS DSL-AC52U and i'm just hoping it doesn't brick itself like my other ASUS Router that i had.

I think i got the ASUS DSL-AC52U for a good price i pay $119.00 australian for it, I have found out in the last couple of days that in the next couple of years i'm going to have to buy a second router cause of our STUPID NBN other fellow australians on here know what i talking about.

Thanks for that.