Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Cooling - Other

Old 02-06-17, 11:38 PM

Fractal Design Define C 144hz Heat

Hi all

This is my first post on the forum so I am hoping that I don't get too much flack from everyone here as I am just looking for some opinions on what I may be able to do to solve this issue.

I have recently been fortunate enough to build myself a new machine which includes an i7 7700k and a gtx 1080ti I chose to use the fractal design define c case as I really liked that it was compact and the way that it looked in general.

Unfortunately I have a fitted desk under which I keep my computer to try and minimise any issues with dust I have a large chair mat that the machine sits on although I accept this is not perfect.

Anyway since having bought a 144hz monitor I have been experiencing some issues with heat levels. The temperatures within the machine are fine but the air expelled from the machine is causing the room to heat up a great deal and is uncomfortable for me.

The case currently has a h100iv2 in exhaust at the top along with two 120mm fans pulling in from the front and one for exhaust.

I was wondering on what people's thoughts were on some things i could try I have taken out the front dust filter and this seems to have helped slightly with more cool air being taken in. I am running the processor at stock 4.5ghz and have used offset mode to ensure that the voltage does not exceed around 2.2 volts But again this is not perfect. Also I have all windows doors open etc and this does help to relieve the situation obviously but I would like to see if there is anything I can do with the machine itself. I accept that in theory the machine will always put out the same level of heat but was wondering if the overall solution would be to rebuild in a bigger case with more interior space and perhaps room for even more fans and if this would help push more cold air in therefore reducing the heat of the air pushed out?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Old 03-06-17, 12:09 AM
OC3D Crew

The way heat works the way you cool the pc does not affect the overall heat output.
(i hope you mean 1.2volts )

7700k has a tdp of 91w + the oc
If you use an Air cooler and the CPU gets 80c or h100i and it gets 50c, the heat output is still 91w + the ekstra for oc.
The h100 is just better at removing the heat from the core.
Old 03-06-17, 12:13 AM

Hi

Yes sorry of course the voltage is just over 1.2volts. Thanks for that that pretty much confirms what I had thought as I guess the only solution is to increase the ventilation in the room and building into a larger case would not help! I guess at least it means I do not have to build the machine again!
Old 03-06-17, 12:18 AM
OC3D Crew

I have a 1080ti and a i7-4790k i know of the problem

A hot day + gaming = Very hot room
Old 03-06-17, 12:21 AM

Yes that's it. At first without the 144hz monitor there were no issues then I thought it was just because it had been a hot day but as time has gone on it now seems that there's just bucket loads of hot air!
Old 03-06-17, 12:49 AM
Bettyswollocks

Unless you water cool your GPU you'll get nothing but a heat increase from this case, I'm yet to see an air cooled GPU do well in this case. I'm fortunate enough to know that I get nothing but cool air from my RIG right now even with an ambient of 27c with the system sitting at 40c tops and that's from a 4790K & 1070 in a Define C on water.
Old 03-06-17, 12:57 AM

Thanks for that interestingly previously to this I was using a gtx 1060 at 60hz in the same case and there were no issues. I do think it's a combination of the 1080ti and 144hz which produces so much more heat. In terms of a custom water cooling loop which cools both the cpu and the gpu this might be something I could explore but I am guessing would result in the same heat output essentially as per what has already been said previously?
Old 03-06-17, 01:55 AM
Bettyswollocks

Nah the heat output is almost eliminated with a custom loop as it's all transfered to the radiators, when I trialed my setup initially with a CPU AIO and founders edition the temps were rediculous. It's just that the Define C is too short for proper air flow to be effective enough.
Old 03-06-17, 02:39 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Nah the heat output is almost eliminated with a custom loop as it's all transfered to the radiators, when I trialed my setup initially with a CPU AIO and founders edition the temps were rediculous. It's just that the Define C is too short for proper air flow to be effective enough.
You are getting this wrong If anything watercooling ads heat because of gpu boost.
1060 is 120 watt TDP
1080 ti is 250 TDP

Lets forget about gpu boost. The GPU is 99% load its a founders edition so the core gets 84c. If i put a 560mm rad on it, it only goes to 40c.
In both cases the card uses the samme power, and has the same TDP.
The amount of heat is the same, the watercooling is just more efficient at moving the heat form one place to another = If the room is sealed, the temperature will become the same i both scenarios.

I knew i had seen a test

Old 03-06-17, 05:00 AM
Bettyswollocks

OK so what your saying is air or water it makes no difference.. and you'll use slinus to validate it.

Riddle me this, 26 - 27c ambient room temp and while rendering for 2 hours here are my temps.

The air coming from the case is cool, unlike when it was on air. The Define C is an horrendous case for air cooling, it just whores heat.

EDIT: I should also add, while I don't run at 144Hz I do run dual 60Hz 1080p screens.