Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Platforms - Other

Old 08-02-17, 09:56 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It doesn't work like that with all copies of Windows, dude.

Example -

My Alienware came pre installed with Windows 8.1. I had to install it myself off the bat because they had installed it to the 2tb HDD and I wanted it on my Asus RAIDR.

So I fitted my drive and installed 8.1. No serial needed, it is on the motherboard so it just goes straight in. I then reinstalled it a couple of months later. Same procedure.

I then upgrade the rig to Windows 10 and use it for about nine months before I get stuck on and older version of 10 that refused to update and wanted me to reinstall (yeah, as you can tell I was overjoyed with this..).

I thought to myself "chuff it, I fancy going back to 8.1. CBA with all of this reinstalling if the version of 10 is old etc".

So I put in the disc (8.1) and started the installer. I got to the point of activation and it asked me for a serial. There was absolutely no way to skip this. I searched around the internet on my other PC (because I could not even get Windows on the rig) and apparently the key for your Windows install on a Dell (so also Alienware) is SLIC in the bios. You never get a physical key. Once you upgrade to Windows 10 and use it for a certain amount of time Microsoft disable your old key. So you can not use it in anything but Windows 10 again.

Eventually I figured out that I needed to actually reinstall 10. Stuck it on a USB stick and bingo bongo, installed straight on and was activated before it even got an internet connection.

So as I said, you must not be running an OEM version of 10 if it allows you to also still use any other OS. Either that or you simply haven't used it long enough for M$ to disable your old serial.

With OEM licenses you get one and that's it, and you don't even get it on a sticker any more. It's all automated and in the bios.
I'm using a retailer version, yes, but even with OEM, it still works like I said. I've done it with 5 different laptop's with different brands. Never had an issue and it's been since day 1 and doing reinstalls since then a few times each.
In addition, they are all still genuine. It doesn't matter how many times you do it. Heck you can still use old keys to upgrade to 10 it still works, despite MS saying otherwise. It's just useless to if you already are on 10 as you can just reset the computer

Old 09-02-17, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It doesn't work like that with all copies of Windows, dude.

With OEM licenses you get one and that's it, and you don't even get it on a sticker any more. It's all automated and in the bios.
If you buy a prebuild system/laptop your id/key/license is often (pre-) stored in the bios. If you install windows, the installer will recognize it and use the "hardware key". At activation this key is checked against the windows activation server.

If you buy a oem licence during activation your hardware id is saved to the windows activation server for a certain amount of time. After a certain amount of time you can normally install it on a different system. But never on two at the same time.
In this case you always have to put in the key during or after installation. Nothing is saved or written to the uefi.

I have no experience with 8.1 but with 7 and 10 I always have been able to skip the key input and do it after the installation.