Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Platforms - Other
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-12-16, 10:35 AM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,820
The future of VR

Hey guys,

Since I've seen some rather interesting posts and discussions regarding VR, I thought maybe a thread is in order... Now pardon me if one already exists though.

One thing regarding VR that I have seen that bugs me is the speakers, they seem to be on top of your ears. Like some cheap Skype compatible headset and not over the ears, such as most gaming headsets these days.

As personally, I get fetique (?) and my ears starts to hurt a bit after using that kind of a headset after some time.

And lastly, for me personally, I have mixed feelings regarding VR and less it's future. I see it's purpose, place, functionality and it's potential. Although, I don't quite see if it's something that appeals to me or will.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-16, 10:59 AM
SuB's Avatar
SuB SuB is offline
The Webmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Taking a break
Posts: 8,717
If you're talking about the oculus ones, they're removable. and as they're on a headband, they don't actually put much pressure or cause fatigue to your ears at all tbh.

I would still opt for removing them and using a proper set of headphones.

As for the future, as game devs / software devs get better with the tech and the concept, games and software will only improve, even from a productivity/training point of view the possibilities are pretty boundless tbh.

The thing with it is, unless you pop a headset on someone's head and SHOW them how it FEELS it's quite difficult to explain the experience, you really have to try it to feel what it does to your brain and your senses when setup properly. It's really another level... 3D stuff is 'okay' but you don't get that sense of being there like you do with VR.

As it gets cheaper and drives the GPU market back into actually giving us more power in multiplications instead of percentages it's only a good thing for the consumer, far too long has the GPU market stagnated with 10% increases instead of the good old days where they were almost doubling power every release... I get the why, but VR could be the push we need to drive the power needs back up.
__________________
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-16, 02:29 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 13,054
Maybe call this the VR thread?

I need some help. Ages ago I bought a headset for my new phone. Phone is a Oppo Find 7a 1080p 5.5". So after doing some digging I got this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Holding a cardboard thing to my head did not seem ideal, plus I wanted to be able to lie in bed and watch movies using the cinema app I paid for. And the app works well, but I can not control it because I am missing the button on the cardboard :S

Does any one know of a controller that will work with it? I have a Razer controller that does not. I just need the go button basically so I can launch films etc without having to keep taking it out.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-16, 02:33 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Maybe call this the VR thread?

I need some help. Ages ago I bought a headset for my new phone. Phone is a Oppo Find 7a 1080p 5.5". So after doing some digging I got this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Holding a cardboard thing to my head did not seem ideal, plus I wanted to be able to lie in bed and watch movies using the cinema app I paid for. And the app works well, but I can not control it because I am missing the button on the cardboard :S

Does any one know of a controller that will work with it? I have a Razer controller that does not. I just need the go button basically so I can launch films etc without having to keep taking it out.
If its Android, any blue tooth controller should work. The new Xbox S are supposed to be wireless and also bluetooth.

If you run a google search on blue tooth controllers you should get a nice list. But none of them are cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-16, 02:56 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 13,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
If its Android, any blue tooth controller should work. The new Xbox S are supposed to be wireless and also bluetooth.

If you run a google search on blue tooth controllers you should get a nice list. But none of them are cheap.
I've got two and neither worked. I have a Razer Serval (name escaped me earlier !) and a Mad Catz C.T.R.L or whatever they called it. Neither seemed to work.

Edit, just tried again. So the CTRLR would work because it has mouse mode. However, the Bluetooth on it does not work so I would have to use an OTG. The problem then is I can not have the phone charging and VR eats the battery flat in about 15 mins (phone gets quite hot too).

The Serval only works as a game controller, and whilst it does allow you to move around the phone and launch apps it becomes redundant once the app has launched. However I did just notice that the VR cinema has been updated, and if you look at something for more than a second it starts a 3 second auto launch. I would look like a moron moving my head around in bed though..

What I want to get is something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Bl...s=bluetooth+vr

Which works like a mouse, allowing you to trigger apps and so on. Not expensive either..

The only bummer about VR on a phone is that your eyes are about 3" from the screen, so any finger marks on the screen are amplified. You literally need to steralise the screen before using it :S

Will order that one soon, and some proper alcohol wipes. Even a spec of lint is very visible.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-16, 04:48 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I've got two and neither worked. I have a Razer Serval (name escaped me earlier !) and a Mad Catz C.T.R.L or whatever they called it. Neither seemed to work.

Edit, just tried again. So the CTRLR would work because it has mouse mode. However, the Bluetooth on it does not work so I would have to use an OTG. The problem then is I can not have the phone charging and VR eats the battery flat in about 15 mins (phone gets quite hot too).

The Serval only works as a game controller, and whilst it does allow you to move around the phone and launch apps it becomes redundant once the app has launched. However I did just notice that the VR cinema has been updated, and if you look at something for more than a second it starts a 3 second auto launch. I would look like a moron moving my head around in bed though..

What I want to get is something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Bl...s=bluetooth+vr

Which works like a mouse, allowing you to trigger apps and so on. Not expensive either..

The only bummer about VR on a phone is that your eyes are about 3" from the screen, so any finger marks on the screen are amplified. You literally need to steralise the screen before using it :S

Will order that one soon, and some proper alcohol wipes. Even a spec of lint is very visible.
good to know because I almost invested in one. I guess ill be more skeptical about them now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-16, 10:02 PM
Davva2004's Avatar
Davva2004 Davva2004 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Nottingham UK
Posts: 1,155
I've got the Galaxy S7 Edge and got the Gear VR headset with it, and tbh when it arrived I thought it would be a bit if a one hit wonder.

Then I installed Gunjack, and had my mind blown.

Then I watched 3D movies on a screen that appears to be about fifty feet wide, and had it blown again.

Then I took some photosphere photos and viewed them in the headset, yup blown.

And this is on a phone. So yes you get a bit of screen door effect that you notice for the first ten seconds or so, and then it goes out your mind completely.

I'm totally converted, and I'm planning a pc build for VR including the Oculus Rift as my favourite game right now is Elite Dangerous and the thought of playing it in fully immersive 3D gives me goosebumps.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-16, 10:05 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 13,054
Yeah the cinema type apps are amazing. The one I have allows you to pick which seat you want in the cinema lol. You then watch it from there
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-16, 11:04 PM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,820
Sucks it's only for Samsung phones (Android) as far as I understand?... Like I don't Apple and iPhone has this right?.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-16, 12:07 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 13,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
Sucks it's only for Samsung phones (Android) as far as I understand?... Like I don't Apple and iPhone has this right?.
Iphone 5 and onward works with VR too. Needs to be at least 1080p though, and ideally 1440p. Remember it splits in half, so you get half per eye. Expect the phone to get hot and battery life to suck too.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.