Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Sub-Zero Cooling

Old 17-05-12, 08:27 PM

interestin idea .keep us posted. and good luck.

p.s i used to have idea(probebly dumb) to use a mini freezer(-12c) refrigerator as a case with water loop inside filled with alchol so not to freeze.

Old 18-05-12, 11:36 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleDJackson View Post

if the system was submerged in oil and was piped for the mentioned setup would that eradicate condensation or any icing n such. as if there was any moisture on the system after submerging it the liquid would just chill ontop of the oil to make it the ultimate risk free cooling solution lol. i aint gonna lie. that would rock hard
This is incorrect...

Water has a density of 1g/cm[sup]3[/sup]

Mineral oil has a density of 0.8g/cm[sup]3[/sup] (one of the more common submersion oils and most oils do weigh less than water)

[Unless you use something from 3M (their cooling fluid can be extremely heavy) but it runs in the $200/Gallon range]

This means that water SINKS in oil... If you have any pipes protruding out of the oil that can have water condense on them the water will get into the oil and sink to the bottom... If the motherboard is below these pipes the water can make its way down to the motherboard and cause a short the same way it would if the computer was out of oil...

Any pipes protruding from the oil should not be directly above any electrical component

Directly underneath the pipes should be the lowest point of the tank so any water that happens to find its way in will stay away from the motherboard...

Any sub-zero/near-zero system that can have water condense on its pipes should have in my opinion a wrap around the pipes that is porous and will absorb any water that wants to condense on the system
Old 03-06-12, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

I most definitively want to see a project log about this. Have you thought any more about what material to use when guiding the flow/loop around? I'm quite curious.
Old 03-06-12, 11:35 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredtrix View Post

I most definitively want to see a project log about this. Have you thought any more about what material to use when guiding the flow/loop around? I'm quite curious.
Have you ever been on Puget Systems site before? I got to see their first submerged rig in action a few years ago they are pretty cool

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php
Old 05-06-12, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldskis45 View Post

I got to see their first submerged rig in action a few years ago they are pretty cool
Did you manage to see the temps of the system?
Old 05-06-12, 11:10 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredtrix View Post

Did you manage to see the temps of the system?
Well the one I saw was the original version so the temps were actually quite warm... but it took 11 hours? for it to get to its max temp of 80[sup]o[/sup]C at full load (Has an amazing heat capacity)

It was just idling while I was there and was chilling at something like 26[sup]o[/sup]

The newer versions with radiators (V1 didn't have one while I was there) under load don't break 35[sup]o[/sup] I think.

Edit: ah, the history page has all the info http://www.pugetsystems.com/mineral-oil-pc.php
Old 05-06-12, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldskis45 View Post

Well the one I saw was the original version so the temps were actually quite warm... but it took 11 hours? for it to get to its max temp of 80[sup]o[/sup]C at full load (Has an amazing heat capacity)

It was just idling while I was there and was chilling at something like 26[sup]o[/sup]

The newer versions with radiators (V1 didn't have one while I was there) under load don't break 35[sup]o[/sup] I think.

Edit: ah, the history page has all the info http://www.pugetsyst...eral-oil-pc.php
I was at the site and read about it, just wanted to know your first hand experiance =] Thanks for the link though.
Old 10-06-12, 09:35 AM
OC3D Elite

Sounds like an interesting project

I've been looking at simple chillers with a friend for a build he's considering. We'd thought about still using conventional rads in the loop to get temps post-block back to as near-ambient as his current loop is able, before further cooling the fluid via the chiller. The chiller would of course only kick in once a certain coolant temperature is achieved.

The ideal situation of course would be to have the chiller do ALL the cooling work, but that'd see the PC likely drawing 2,000w+ from the wall, which is a bit silly lol. Still, I am impressed that the higher-end chillers can provide up to 1,650w of cooling with only a 550w power draw. I think a lower-capacity chiller with a simple rad to take the edge off the temps first would work nicely.

Anyway, great project, keep us posted!

Scoob.
Intel 2500k @ 4.6 | ASUS P8Z68-V Pro | 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM @ 1600 | 2x EVGA GTX 680 2gb | 2x Kingston SSD-Now 120gb (RAID 0) + Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb + Samsung Spinpoint 1tb | CM 690 II Lite case | Corsair AX860i PSU | LG 24" LCD display @ 1920x1200 | Windows 10 Pro. 64

Custom Loop: EK Supreme HF Black Acetal CPU Block | 2x Alphacool NexXxoS ATXP Black Brushed Stainless Steel GPU blocks | External Phobya 1080 rad in Bench Edition Chassis | Alphacool D5 Pump + high-flow top | EK Adv. Cylinder Reservoir | Phobya G-Silent 180mm fans (shrouded) | Phobya External 90w PSU
Old 10-06-12, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogevSkill View Post

interestin idea .keep us posted. and good luck.

p.s i used to have idea(probebly dumb) to use a mini freezer(-12c) refrigerator as a case with water loop inside filled with alchol so not to freeze.
That wont work, a freezer cant dissevolve(?) a constant emission. I thought about it to
Old 10-06-12, 12:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatis View Post

That wont work, a freezer cant dissevolve(?) a constant emission. I thought about it to
Dissipate

A freezer/fridge is designed to keep cold things cold, not cool things down, with a pc inside it would burn out the motor, not to mention the condensation