Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 22-11-13, 09:50 PM

mobo and cpu upgrade, what should I get?

I am wanting to do an upgrade from my z68 mobo (poor thing i know) and my i5 2500k, i will be upgrading in about february, how much do you think I should get for the upgrade? I want one of the best mobos with an i5, i have no need for the i7. I will be gaming on it. Thanks in advance

Old 22-11-13, 10:03 PM
OC3D Elite

What do you mean by "how much do you think I should get for the upgrade?"

Do you mean how much should you sell your current MoBo and CPU for? Or how much you should spend on an upgrade? Or what you should upgrade it to?

If I were upgrading I'd get an i5 4670K for the CPU, and the motherboard depends quite a lot on the colour scheme of your rig, so it's a much more personal decision.

Old 22-11-13, 10:08 PM

i have just read another thread comparing the cpus and i might not upgrade my cpu, not worth it, just do my mobo and xfire my Club3D 7950. my colour scheme is black and white, I want a full black board thats amazing for OCing. any ideas?
Old 22-11-13, 10:12 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm not sure if upgrading the MoBo and not the CPU would do very much. Is your current one not XFire compatible or is the overclocking not particularly good? Otherwise, what is your main desire to upgrade it for?

Old 22-11-13, 10:16 PM

my mobo is a z68, it isnt letting me do much overclocking and it doesnt always pickup my GPU, it is xfire compatable but i dont think it could handle it. I just want a fully stable 4.8Ghz OC and good graphics and i will be happy with its performance. seems the mobo is holding it back.
Old 22-11-13, 10:24 PM
OC3D Elite

I see what you mean, but I'm still not sure if upgrading just the motherboard sticking to socket 1155 will be that worthwhile in the longer term. The difference you will see from the overclock won't justify the price of the new motherboard in my opinion. What makes you think the motherboard won't be able to handle XFire if it is supposed to be compatible?

Old 22-11-13, 10:31 PM

it struggles with just one, sometimes i have to disconnect the gpu and restart the pc for it to be recognised an i know the gpu is working perfectly, and its an ugly as sin mobo http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/u...pscd9462bc.jpg

thats a pic of my pc. is there much of a performance upgrade from the 2500k to the current gen?
Old 22-11-13, 10:40 PM
OC3D Elite

That sounds like the motherboard is just slightly faulty then and not by design haha xD

To be honest, there isn't a massive difference, there has been a thread on here that linked to a comparison, and it didn't make a very big difference, but that being said I still wouldn't buy a new motherboard that won't support future CPUs like a socket 1150 would.

I'd personally wait till I wanted to upgrade my motherboard and CPU together, but if the motherboard is really bugging you and you can't wait, maybe get a not too expensive 1155 board for the mean time which will allow you to go XFire and get a better overclock.

Old 22-11-13, 10:47 PM

I was considering waiting for the next gen cpus but I have read that they might not be coming out until 2015. I have been looking about and the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 is only about £80 now so thats not too bad, i know there is a full black board but I dont know what model it is. So im thinking of a new mobo and another club3d 7950 for xfire until the next gen but im not 100%
Old 22-11-13, 10:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Okay that's not too expensive if it will last that long, but 2015 does seem quite late, where did you hear that?