Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 18-03-17, 08:22 AM
OC3D Elite

This is what they should have been doing from the start AMD should be getting 3rd parties making E-ATX motherboards and then comparing the 1800X or whatever to the 6800/6900K.

Also NOT telling YouTube reviews to turn of Quad Channel memory and under clocking their 2011-3 CPU's.

Old 18-03-17, 11:44 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Old School View Post
This is what they should have been doing from the start AMD should be getting 3rd parties making E-ATX motherboards and then comparing the 1800X or whatever to the 6800/6900K.

Also NOT telling YouTube reviews to turn of Quad Channel memory and under clocking their 2011-3 CPU's.
Quad channel doesn't change anything anyway. Doesn't matter
Old 18-03-17, 08:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
There's no benefit using Quad Channel anyway. You're bandwidth doesn't go up, it does in the theoretical sense because you have two more sticks, but the real world impact is virtually 0. You just get more capacity potential really is just it.
I would probably rather have dual channel, less strain on the CPU which means higher speeds, which would give an actual boost to performance.
Yeah, the people that are complaining about a lack of quad channel memory are a minority and likely mistakenly feel they need it.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 18-03-17, 09:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Quad channel might matter at the enterprise level, but not the consumer level.

Old 19-03-17, 04:12 AM
OC3D Elite

#QuadChannelMemoryMasterRace
Old 19-03-17, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
The 10 core 6950X is a better overclocker than any of the Ryzen CPUs, AMD need to address this first before even thinking about a 16 core consumer CPU.

What would a 16 core Ryzen CPU run at, 2.5ghz?
I don't think that Ryzen cpus will ever be great overclockers. L3 cache doesn't have its own multiplier and I'm not sure that fabric thing between CCXs can handle overclock any better.
Old 19-03-17, 01:25 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
The 10 core 6950X is a better overclocker than any of the Ryzen CPUs, AMD need to address this first before even thinking about a 16 core consumer CPU.

What would a 16 core Ryzen CPU run at, 2.5ghz?
^^All of this, they have a good line up so far and should concentrate on that not throw more cores at the problem. #moarcoresfixesnothing

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 19-03-17, 03:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
^^All of this, they have a good line up so far and should concentrate on that not throw more cores at the problem. #moarcoresfixesnothing
If this is true and I highly doubt it for reasons given (AMD changing sockets etc) then they would be forward thinking again. And they've gotten themselves into trouble every time they have done that.

However, that said we do need to move forward. If they can get 8 cores supported properly (and they're working at it) then the next progression will be more cores of course. Because IPC becomes tight, and at the end of the day the only way to move on from Moore's law is to add more cores.

People only think the idea of 16 cores is stupid because they have been on 2/4 for a decade. Why do servers have 64 cores (as an example)? because it makes them more productive. There is no reason other than Intel that desktop PCs could do the same.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 19-03-17, 05:56 PM
Bettyswollocks

Yes but servers are also generally kept in racks cooled by industrial fans or have cold storage rooms so cold an eskimo would feel right at home, AMD have come on leaps and bounds and been planning this for the last 4 years putting the software in place first essentially paving their way to this moment. Next thing they need to do is further improve the IPC and frequencies also maybe work on a clearer way to indicate thermal readings.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 19-03-17, 07:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Yes but servers are also generally kept in racks cooled by industrial fans or have cold storage rooms so cold an eskimo would feel right at home, AMD have come on leaps and bounds and been planning this for the last 4 years putting the software in place first essentially paving their way to this moment. Next thing they need to do is further improve the IPC and frequencies also maybe work on a clearer way to indicate thermal readings.
Our old server room at the call centre I worked at had a small cupboard about 6ftx2ft. In the wall they had three air conditioners that were in the wall going straight outside.

However, as NM and heat drops (not on OC chips of course) AIOs are proving quite popular in Server Land.

I'm super interested to find out what sort of temps/power use these 32 core Zens will have.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly